GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VMR V710

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I'm looking at getting a set of 18x8.5" V710's and wondering if anyone has or had experience with this wheel width on a Mk5 or Mk6 GTI. Any tire rubbing while making sharp turns/going over speed bumps, etc? Also does anyone know the width of the 18" Detroits?

Thx

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
i believe the detroits are 18x7.5, ET51 offset...

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
So they are a 51mm offset? That would make most of the aftermarket rims (45mm) offset with 8" width stick out 12mm further than stock.

That would look ridiculous IMO with stock ride height

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
51mm - 45mm = 6mm difference. 1/4" = hardly noticable.

8" vs 7.5" is not an issue - unless you're putting on tires that are narrower than the rim. which is silly - THAT would look ridiculous. 225's are 9" wide so there's no problem there...

Draddog_Nai

It actually doesn't look all that bad. I don't know if you browse the VWVortex or not but the MkIV guys do it all the time. "Stretch and poke" they call it. Totally impractical but it looks good.

JhnR

Banned
ET 45 is the perfect offset for mk5/mk6.

it will not look bad or rub if proper.

bocelli

Hi everyone,

Im actually suffering from the same question....I wonna get the same rims and have 30mm drop and wonder if it will be ok for driving and look good without tires going out much of the arches....

D3rk01

Ready to race!
I'm interested in these wheels too and looking around different sites. I came upon Amazon selling them for $200. They have one with an offset +35 and the +45. I doubt I will be lowering my car, which of the two would you guys recommend?

power-san

Ready to race!
It actually doesn't look all that bad. I don't know if you browse the VWVortex or not but the MkIV guys do it all the time. "Stretch and poke" they call it. Totally impractical but it looks good.

I'm not trying to be funny, what makes this impractical? tire wear? bumping curbs? I'm trying to figure out what this stretch and poke is all about myself. It looks amazing.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
51mm - 45mm = 6mm difference. 1/4" = hardly noticable.

8" vs 7.5" is not an issue - unless you're putting on tires that are narrower than the rim. which is silly - THAT would look ridiculous. 225's are 9" wide so there's no problem there...

The VMR 710 wheels, according the vmrwheels site, are 8.5" wide with a +ET45.

This would work out to be 18mm further out from the Detroit wheel.

If lowered, that sounds like it may rub?

I've got 10mm spacers with the Detroit wheels, lowered 1 1/4", no rubbing, but it is hard to imagine being out another 8mm without rubbing. Hmmm, don't know for sure.

I do know the fronts look like they have less wiggle room than the backs do.

Anyone out there done the 710s, lowered, without issue?

I saw a couple GTIs on the VMR website with wheels of that width and offset, but it was hard to see from the picture angles posted if the wheels were sticking out too far.