GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird acceleration and terrible gas mileage

WRX2GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I am flirting with kicking my 2013 GTI to the curb.

Besides being on its third water pump and recently spending $300 out of pocket to have the headliner replaced under "warranty," (VW goodwill?), it has developed a super irritating rattle, gotten 19mpg out last two tanks, and it's not accelerating normally.

I'm assuming the acceleration and mpgs go hand in hand as they both started at the same time. The rattle started about the same time too, but not sure on that.

It's a 2013 dsg with 57k on it, been stage 2 APR since purchasing using an spm dp and bsh intake, stock cat back. No other mods.

Once the car is warm, when driving casually, power cuts out and comes back progressively while accelerating in 2nd-4th around 2k rpm. It's not all the time and it's not drastic, but there is a definite non linear acceleration curve. Once you get past approximately 3k it goes away.

Along with this occasional non linear acceleration, surge, hesitation, thing is really bad gas mileage. I did recently move from the east coast to the west coast, so I had to change from a 93 octane tune to a 91, but I'm getting 19mpg by my calculations.

In the past I've always gotten at least 24mpg even with spirited driving.

Any ideas as to what the problem(s) could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I'm west coast stock tune and get about 24mpg spirited the cutouts are concerning I'd definitely say it's fuel related either pumps, injectors or tune is causing it. I'd replace spark plugs and fuel filter just because if it hasn't been done yet. Then I'd call up APR and tell them what's going on. See if they can't put the tune to stock and see if problem goes away. Do you smell gas at all? Also worth checking if injectors need cleaning. However I'm '13 too at 82k miles and haven't had any issues like this.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

WRX2GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the responses. Think I will def switch the tune to stock and see what happens for the first troubleshooting step. Next up the spark plugs would pretty easy and inexpensive. After that?

FriggenT1

Banned
Thanks for the responses. Think I will def switch the tune to stock and see what happens for the first troubleshooting step. Next up the spark plugs would pretty easy and inexpensive. After that?

After that you should scan for misfires and if you still have one or 2, is do the coilpacks. When did you change the plugs and packs?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
If you are on stock coilpacks with APR stage 2 tune... chances are that you need new coilpacks. The red tops. My stock coilpacks blew a day or 2 after going stage 1.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Plugs and coils are a likely culprit, but if the issue persists after replacing those, it may straight up be the tune itself.

WRX2GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on stock plugs and coil packs. I have not had any issues up until approximately 1k miles ago.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I'm on stock plugs and coil packs. I have not had any issues up until approximately 1k miles ago.

Sounds like coilpacks then, and if you mean you haven't replaced or checked the spark plugs in 50+k miles, replace those too while you're at it.

Get the R8 red-top coil packs since they are much stronger. Also, make sure to gap down the spark plugs to 0.026" or 0.024" (I've heard both values).

Fortunately, unlike the WRX, you won't need to drop the motor to do this :p It takes like 15 minutes to do all 4.

WRX2GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like coilpacks then, and if you mean you haven't replaced or checked the spark plugs in 50+k miles, replace those too while you're at it.

Get the R8 red-top coil packs since they are much stronger. Also, make sure to gap down the spark plugs to 0.026" or 0.024" (I've heard both values).

Fortunately, unlike the WRX, you won't need to drop the motor to do this :p It takes like 15 minutes to do all 4.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. I could change out plugs on my wrx in under 2 hours with the motor in the car.

Also did the timing belt with the motor in the car.

Wish I still had it honestly.

But seriously, thanks for the input.

FriggenT1

Banned
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. I could change out plugs on my wrx in under 2 hours with the motor in the car.

Also did the timing belt with the motor in the car.

Wish I still had it honestly.

But seriously, thanks for the input.

You can change these even easier, I also had a wrx and I do NOT wish I had it back... 2011, handling and brakes were, shit and ring lands burned up after I sold it (although the new owner could've been a moron)... A lot of weak areas with that car though.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Haha yes just poking fun where I can :p I'll have to do a similar job with my Forester XT one of these days.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Flash backs to the WRX days. PIA spark plugs.

But, it sounds like your problem is plugs/coils.