GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

went to upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 and.....

EvL BuNNY

Ready to race!
the box would not accept a direct port tune... they called up apr and the engineers were busy.

WTF APR... after the initial tune we are supposed to never have to take the ecu out again... if i have to do that again it will cost me 175 dollars... in which case i may just switch tuning companies.

you guys better chime in on this and it better be able to be direct ported like i was assured it will be.

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Wow, a little harsh aren't we?!? Maybe the shop you took it to didn't do it right the first time?

The shop near me said they only have to take the ECU out the one time and will flash it for free after that.

EvL BuNNY

Ready to race!
Wow, a little harsh aren't we?!? Maybe the shop you took it to didn't do it right the first time?

The shop near me said they only have to take the ECU out the one time and will flash it for free after that.

its just annoying that going into the process i had to shell out extra money to have the ecu pulled and was assured that i didnot have to do that again.

now that it may have to be done again makes me a little mad. i dont think its harsh at all

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
If your shop assured you that they wouldn't have to take it or even if they did and that they wouldn't charge a second time then take it up with them.

Oh, and btw, the APR engineers were probably too busy flashing my ECM at the time :D

jjhan85

Passed Driver's Ed
If your shop assured you that they wouldn't have to take it or even if they did and that they wouldn't charge a second time then take it up with them.

Oh, and btw, the APR engineers were probably too busy flashing my ECM at the time :D

damn bro... salt on the wound haha

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
I was just trying to lighten the mood.

I fully understand this guys frustration. I actually chose to remove and send my ECM to APR to eliminate the middle man dealers. Nothing against them, but taking time off of work and/or driving a long distance and paying their labor charges is like a double whammy.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
All I can say is APR employees< APR Customers you can't expect some to be avalible with such a small company right away.

SMkVGTI

Ready to race!
All I can say is APR employees< APR Customers you can't expect some to be avalible with such a small company right away.

You don't need to have the ECU pulled for APR's Stage 2 flash if you already have APR's Stage 1 flash. Relax. All is well.

MKVI_CSM

Ready to race!
I was just trying to lighten the mood.

I fully understand this guys frustration. I actually chose to remove and send my ECM to APR to eliminate the middle man dealers. Nothing against them, but taking time off of work and/or driving a long distance and paying their labor charges is like a double whammy.

how was taking out the ecu? im thinking of going this route as well. i have a hard time trusting other people with my car. anything you noticed might give me a problem when i go to do the pull myself?

Hey Monster, what apr dealer did you use? I am looking to get stage 2 and was curious.

Once the ECU has been put to the read mode and flashed, further upgrades do not need the removal of ECU. In other words, after the first surgery, second and third steps are direct port download. Contact APR directly and ask for technical support, they are always helpful. Sorry about the inconvenience, however once it is completed you will enjoy your car more. Good luck

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
how was taking out the ecu? im thinking of going this route as well. i have a hard time trusting other people with my car. anything you noticed might give me a problem when i go to do the pull myself?

It's not bad. I don't care who you are, it's always a bitch to delicately remove the cowl cover from the windshield without sweating a bit. And the tamper-proof bolts on the ECM will need to be removed. I usually take a cut off wheel and make a flat head notch right on the top of them and use a screw driver to turn them out. Other than that, the wait is the hardest part.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Whoever was flashing the car should've called APR for assistance.

*edit: reading > me

Last edited:

bshiau

EVL BuNNY, I saw your posts on myfastgti regarding the APR tune, since I am in your area and was thinking about doing the same. After calling your APR dealer, I had a bad feeling and ended up driving to Summit, NJ to get the tune. Did it last Sat. and the drive was about 45min. each way. JC's done over 200, and I was very comfortable letting him crack open my ECU. I have a feeling your dealer is just trying to get another 175 out of you. BTW, Douglas VW charged 95 for an hour.