GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Today, I went to the dark side. Instead of buying a S4 B5, I decided to keep my car and turbo it. Main reasons beeing that engine are so cheap to replace, if the body become rusted as hell, Rabbit and Golf are cheap to get in good condition

Plus, reliability, having a brand new setup and keeping a 5 cylinders :)

I will be using a SPA Turbo T3 manifold, I'm waiting for a reply from CTS Turbo, they have interesting price, free shipping and no import fees for Canadians, I should have a PT5858 T3 0.63AR V-band, a set of Bosch 550cc injectors and a set of harness adaptor for the injectors (EV14 to Nippon Type A)

For the wastegaste, blow-off and gauge support, I will get those in the used aftermarket
I'm getting a AEM Wideband from Amazon (lowest price I have seen)

I will be using an intercooler for a A3 / GTI MK6. I'm still not sure about my fuel system setup, people tends to use a DW65V pump, since it's bolt-on, but I might end up with a modified RS4 B7 pump. It seems that we don't need to upgrade fuel delivery system untill 15psi+, I'm planning for 10psi this summer, but I will probably upgrade later

So if you looking for less than 15psi, I have been told using DW65V or a RS4 B7 pump with stock filter would do the job

As for clutch kit, I might get a Clutchmaster FX series

If you are looking for a AWD swap, there is someone selling a aluminium subframe, haldex diff and driveshaft for 600$ CAD here in Quebec, come from a Passat 3.6 4Motion, it's really cheap

Wise choice. I have known several people with the B5 S4 and all of them had nothing but trouble from that car. I love the look and always wanted one but then my friends would always tell me not to do it. My favorite quote from an article I was reading on that car...."The B5 S4 requires a simple approach to maintenance—just spend all your time and money on it, and you'll be fine." Ha so true. And that was an article about how great they are.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. I just got handed 2 big projects at work and have been pretty busy. You're right where I was when I started all this modding madness...chasing down the stupid P1060 code. How well does the MAP sensor fit in the new manifold? Do the wires get stretched tight. I know mine is a bit of a stretch with the added length of the manifold. Maybe a loose connection. If I recall the sensor is not that old. I thought you replaced it around the time I was messing with mine. What happens if you wrap an old shirt around the air cleaner. Maybe the intake is letting in too much air if that's possible. Wouldn't think so as the TB is really the gatekeeper where that's concerned. The only way I got rid of mine was cleaning the TB and sensor really good. I also had just cleaned mine recently, twice actually. The third time was a charm I guess because it never came back. Other than that maybe the sensor got damaged somehow.

Is the PCV valve still intact? Seeing that P1060 can also be PCV/valve cover related it may be related to running with the PCV intact and not hooked up.
Wire stretch, I had cut the hockey tape and loosened and freed up more length but its still a bit of a stretch, .... thanks I'll have to go check this out right now.

Absolutely no vacuum leaks, I RTVed the MAP Sensor and using a throttle body gasket from an Acura TL to seal between the UM/HEP and the TB, that setup can actually seal and support a lot of cantilever weight of the TB and CAI.

Today, I went to the dark side. Instead of buying a S4 B5, I decided to keep my car and turbo it. Main reasons beeing that engine are so cheap to replace, if the body become rusted as hell, Rabbit and Golf are cheap to get in good condition

Plus, reliability, having a brand new setup and keeping a 5 cylinders :)

I will be using a SPA Turbo T3 manifold, I'm waiting for a reply from CTS Turbo, they have interesting price, free shipping and no import fees for Canadians, I should have a PT5858 T3 0.63AR V-band, a set of Bosch 550cc injectors and a set of harness adaptor for the injectors (EV14 to Nippon Type A)

For the wastegaste, blow-off and gauge support, I will get those in the used aftermarket
I'm getting a AEM Wideband from Amazon (lowest price I have seen)

I will be using an intercooler for a A3 / GTI MK6. I'm still not sure about my fuel system setup, people tends to use a DW65V pump, since it's bolt-on, but I might end up with a modified RS4 B7 pump. It seems that we don't need to upgrade fuel delivery system untill 15psi+, I'm planning for 10psi this summer, but I will probably upgrade later

So if you looking for less than 15psi, I have been told using DW65V or a RS4 B7 pump with stock filter would do the job

As for clutch kit, I might get a Clutchmaster FX series

If you are looking for a AWD swap, there is someone selling a aluminium subframe, haldex diff and driveshaft for 600$ CAD here in Quebec, come from a Passat 3.6 4Motion, it's really cheap
Flow I always knew you would go turbo :lol: it was only a matter of when.

When I was in Daytona I met one of the Mechanics who turboed his Golf 2.5, I don't know him well, as he worked for a competitor team but in a brief conversation he revealed that he trashed the Golf 2.5 Rad Support and used a GTI Rad Support and bits with GTI radiator and intercooler, using an aftermarket Golf R bumper and open one side to accomodate an oil cooler, .... something about the base 2.5 oil cooler not designed to cool a lot of heat from turbo application.

BTW, do you have a contact in Quebec for cheap parts? If so hook me up, I need a couple of dirt cheap ECUs to play with.

I'm sure we are all interested in your Turbo project, make a new thread to continually update us on the progress. We may not turbo our 2.5 but will live vicariously through you. :icon_secta:

Last edited:

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
I did a few things today! Roof rack, fast fc04 wheels, but no DG springs yet. Also change the rear position lights, brake lights, reverse light and turn signal light to LED bulbs.

Sent from my ANE-LX3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Wise choice. I have known several people with the B5 S4 and all of them had nothing but trouble from that car. I love the look and always wanted one but then my friends would always tell me not to do it. My favorite quote from an article I was reading on that car...."The B5 S4 requires a simple approach to maintenance—just spend all your time and money on it, and you'll be fine." Ha so true. And that was an article about how great they are.

Reliability of the 2.7TT is what changed my mind. The B5 looks so good, easy to mod and powerful, but those cars are getting old and even well maintained, I will have issues from old car, like steering rack, boost leaks, rusted clamp... I prefer my little 5 cylinders over a high maintenance / repair costs V6 engine :)

It would have been nice to have a quattro :(

Flow I always knew you would go turbo :lol: it was only a matter of when.

When I was in Daytona I met one of the Mechanics who turboed his Golf 2.5, I don't know him well, as he worked for a competitor team but in a brief conversation he revealed that he trashed the Golf 2.5 Rad Support and used a GTI Rad Support and bits with GTI radiator and intercooler, using an aftermarket Golf R bumper and open one side to accomodate an oil cooler, .... something about the base 2.5 oil cooler not designed to cool a lot of heat from turbo application.

BTW, do you have a contact in Quebec for cheap parts? If so hook me up, I need a couple of dirt cheap ECUs to play with.

I'm sure we are all interested in your Turbo project, make a new thread to continually update us on the progress. We may not turbo our 2.5 but will live vicariously through you. :icon_secta:

If I see a ME17.5 ECU selling for a cheap price, I will inform you as soon as possible :)

For the intercooler, if I'm not able to adapt it to mount, I will swap for a GTI rad support, GTI parts are easy to get here compared to the 2.5 :(

I have seen someone else with a Rabbit using an oil cooler, I don't think I will have issue with cooling since I don't track the car, it's more of a daily

I will make the thread once I get more parts, I will include all my knowledge, it could be helpful and it would give an idea of the work for those interested in doing a turbo setup :drool:

I will keep you informed, time past so slowly now, it's like waiting for Christmas :) I will keep myself busy this summer, my friend bought bags for his rabbit, not a big fan of air suspension, but it will still be fun to install :happyanim:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....For the intercooler, if I'm not able to adapt it to mount, I will swap for a GTI rad support, GTI parts are easy to get here compared to the 2.5 :(

I have seen someone else with a Rabbit using an oil cooler, I don't think I will have issue with cooling since I don't track the car, it's more of a daily....
Quebec is one of the last bastion of VW compared to the rest of Canada. Lots of GTI parts coz of all the GTI hitting the recycler due to failed 2.0T engines, with all the Rabbits and Golf 2.5s still in service.

Keep us posted!

I did a few things today! Roof rack, fast fc04 wheels, but no DG springs yet. Also change the rear position lights, brake lights, reverse light and turn signal light to LED bulbs....
Gooding good Vinnie.

I love the Wheels!

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
P0106 Trouble Code Fixed

....You're right where I was when I started all this modding madness...chasing down the stupid P1060 code. How well does the MAP sensor fit in the new manifold? Do the wires get stretched tight. I know mine is a bit of a stretch with the added length of the manifold. Maybe a loose connection. If I recall the sensor is not that old. I thought you replaced it around the time I was messing with mine. What happens if you wrap an old shirt around the air cleaner. Maybe the intake is letting in too much air if that's possible. Wouldn't think so as the TB is really the gatekeeper where that's concerned. The only way I got rid of mine was cleaning the TB and sensor really good. I also had just cleaned mine recently, twice actually. The third time was a charm I guess because it never came back. Other than that maybe the sensor got damaged somehow.

Is the PCV valve still intact? Seeing that P1060 can also be PCV/valve cover related it may be related to running with the PCV intact and not hooked up.
.... and the winner is wire stretch, with clean Intake Manifold, Throttle Body and PCV disconnected it had to be. Thanks WW, I just couldn't see it, needed to bounce this off you or someone.

I thought there was enough slack BUT since I had no clue where the damage was, I just cut out a large chunk of the 4 wire MAP harness to where it connects to the big harness, ... spliced in an additional 4 inches of new wire, so lots more slack available now .... and more important NO MORE P0106 Trouble Code. Interesting this time clearing the codes I saw a P0113 and a P0108 as well.

I still don't have the PCV port hooked up but will as soon as I confirm the P0106 is gone; tired of getting head aches from sniffing blow by gases. I empty the Catch Bag everyday, the paper towels are mostly wet with water, gas and a bit of oil.

Attachments

• Map Sensor G71.JPG
    Map Sensor G71.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Map Sensor.JPG
    Map Sensor.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Catch Bag.JPG
    Catch Bag.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
.... and the winner is wire stretch, with clean Intake Manifold, Throttle Body and PCV disconnected it had to be. Thanks WW, I just couldn't see it, needed to bounce this off you or someone.

I thought there was enough slack BUT since I had no clue where the damage was, I just cut out a large chunk of the 4 wire MAP harness to where it connects to the big harness, ... spliced in an additional 4 inches of new wire, so lots more slack available now .... and more important NO MORE P0106 Trouble Code. Interesting this time clearing the codes I saw a P0113 and a P0108 as well.

I still don't have the PCV port hooked up but will as soon as I confirm the P0106 is gone; tired of getting head aches from sniffing blow by gases. I empty the Catch Bag everyday, the paper towels are mostly wet with water, gas and a bit of oil.
I'm not having a code right now, but I think I need to clean the maf and replace the PVC diaphragm again plus the valve cover gasket. I have been getting bad gas mileage, like 11-12km/L average. It just doesn't drive the same, felt little sluggish.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm not having a code right now, but I think I need to clean the maf and replace the PVC diaphragm again plus the valve cover gasket. I have been getting bad gas mileage, like 11-12km/L average. It just doesn't drive the same, felt little sluggish.
Vinnie, you should scan for a Trouble Code First or pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. The Golf 2.5 doesn't have a MAF, it has a MAP Sensor. PVC diaphragm and the valve cover gasket doesn't affect the gas Mileage as far as I know.

Cleaning even the dirtiest Throttle Body is easy, takes only 10 Minutes or so using a can of Carb Medic, if you don't remove the TB from the IM. Careful tho that stuff is so powerful it starts eating the neoprene gloves after a few minutes, eventually they just fall apart. B4 Chem Tool works great too, if you can find it, cheaper too. The MAP Sensor is right beside the TB, held on by one T20 Torx screw.

Last edited:

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Vinnie, you should scan for a Trouble Code First or pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. The Golf 2.5 doesn't have a MAF, it has a MAP Sensor. PVC diaphragm and the valve cover gasket doesn't affect the gas Mileage as far as I know.

Cleaning even the dirtiest Throttle Body is easy, takes only 10 Minutes or so using a can of Carb Medic, if you don't remove the TB from the IM. Careful tho that stuff is so powerful it starts eating the neoprene gloves after a few minutes, eventually they just fall apart. B4 Chem Tool works great too, if you can find it, cheaper too. The MAP Sensor is right beside the TB, held on by one T20 Torx screw.
Yeah, I meant the map sensor. I had to clean it last time when I had the torn PVC diaphragm. The plugs were replaced around 80k, now I'm at 110k. What signs I should be looking at? I'm pretty sure my valve cover gasket is leaking, because I found some brownish residual on the plugs last time I replaced them.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
11-12km/L average is pretty good mileage compared to mine, I get about 10 or so the only way I get in the 11s is by driving more highway.

EDIT: Only a few more weeks of Winter Gas, check the mileage again then.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed, 11-12km/L sounds pretty on par with my good days as well.. Unless you meant L/100KM, where I usually sit around 9-10
That is still pretty good city mileage for a 5 cylinder thats not diect injection.

I've noticed that some gasolines don't give gas mileage with the 2.5, example Costco gas gives me bad gas mileage everytime I fill up in Pickering but it's alot cheaper to buy so a bit of a give and take.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Must be a bunch of Canadians on here with all the liters and kilometers talk. The only thing we buy in liters down here is soda, which according to Super Troopers, you may know as a liter of cola.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Must be a bunch of Canadians on here with all the liters and kilometers talk. The only thing we buy in liters down here is soda, which according to Super Troopers, you may know as a liter of cola.

Well, if your'e going to criticize, at least learn to spell the word correctly, repeat after me L-I-T-R-E-S. :bs::D:moon:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The ol' Golf is running alot crisper now with the UM/HEP SRI, after extending and replacing some of the MAP sensor wiring. I installed new MAP sensor and O2 sensor, so those are VW parts so should last the life of the car. When my Son comes Home he'll pass judgement on the SRI.

Im curious on the power levels now so I'll try to negotiate a dyno pull if I can get a decent price.

Last edited: