GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
That's a good call. I think I will pull the springs off and toss all the shocks and mounts. Never realized how tiny that stock rear sway bar is. Amazing the difference a few mm makes.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Keep the stock springs, they are not bad. I use the stock 2.5 springs with Koni Yellow Sport adjustable and Hotchkis 27mm sway bars. The combination work for me and my son on track and on ice last weekend. I'm not sure if it would be a good Autocross setup tho.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya this is just a daily driver to replace my TDI. Just finished installing all the trim from the TDI. Worked out pretty well, swapped the stereo, leather trim, fog lights, bluetooth, rims, console before the buy back. With the GTI suspension the only thing missing is the MPG. But so far the 2.5L is alright on gas if you keep a light foot. I really like it. Definely doesn't get the props it deserves.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya this is just a daily driver to replace my TDI. Just finished installing all the trim from the TDI. Worked out pretty well, swapped the stereo, leather trim, fog lights, bluetooth, rims, console before the buy back. With the GTI suspension the only thing missing is the MPG. But so far the 2.5L is alright on gas if you keep a light foot. I really like it. Definely doesn't get the props it deserves.
VW was so afraid of the 2.5 scavenging sales from the GTI they installed a 16mm rear swaybar on the rear suspension of the 2.5, the one on the TDI was at least 18mm. In the intake manifold they did even worst, at the head the oval passage is equal to about 1 5/8 inch diameter opening to the vales but they choked off the high end performance by using small intake runners smaller in diameter than 1 3/8 inches and gave it a plenum size of over 6 litres which helps the low end torque below 2500 RPM but it makes the 2.5 responses very lazyly.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hm. I'm gonna have to measure my swaybars on the rabbit. I have sway bars from my gti sitting around that I could throw on easily if they are bigger. Never thought of doing that.
Hi Jay your Rabbit prolly has a better setup than the Golf, IMO they soften the MK6 in comparison to the MK5.

Throw those puppies on!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Installed my Skunk2 Velocity Stack/Filter on the car on Thursday, no HP numbers but changing from the Neuspeed P-Flo Filter to this makes a difference. Read the Description in the eBay ad to understand why I switched. My my slow ass normally aspirated engine need all the help it can get, every bit helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKUNK2-3-5...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

YES it is for a Honda, but Skunk2 really knows their sh!t when it comes to designing intake manifolds and air induction systems. I paid $57 plus shipping and I'm happy with it. Compared to the P-Flo filter it is alot bigger and I had to shoe horn it in but it fits.

Rolex 24 UPDATE: Daytona Rolex 24 Hour weekend was Unbelievable, Friday saw my friends at C360R (now called Compass Racing) in the Continental Tire Series, switching over from being the Honda Factory Team (yes with Skunk2 partnership) in past years to running new Audi RS3 with Audi/VW Racing Support, take 1st and 2nd in the TCR Class with their new Audi RS3s. The lone VW GTI didn't fair well unfortunately, seems to have trouble putting all that horse power to the ground through the front wheels.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just adding pics of my SKUNK2 Filter Mod.

While some may think a Filter can't add much they can go on thinking that. IMO this velocity stack filter is designed correctly for performance not by Cafe Racers. After a back to back R&R, I feel has made a difference. If you're going to add a performance Filter get this one!.

Our favourite normally aspirated 2.5 need all the help it can get so I go on adding a bit here and a bit there, plus it's fun.

EDIT: The middle image in the 1st pic below shows the bellmouth with dimples on the edges to control the boundary layer, these videos below explain more.
https://youtu.be/sMn4i1pHSrg
https://youtu.be/SIjBU9tI-Go

Attachments

• Old P-Flo Filter.jpg
    Old P-Flo Filter.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 108
  • SKUNK2 Velocity Stack Filter.jpg
    SKUNK2 Velocity Stack Filter.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 164
  • SKUNK2 Filter.jpg
    SKUNK2 Filter.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Filled up my tank with 93 octane gas for 87 octane price! $1.18.9\L. Gotta love Esso when they run out of regular.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Though I was on here by my self. Great to have you aboard, thanks for your contributions thus far.

Love that steering wheel cover where can I get one?