GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Dartregor

Ready to race!
So question for you all.

I found a couple rad options for my car. One is a basic oem swap. Pretty cheap about $60. And then my other option is a mishimoto all aluminium radiator.

Im really tempted to buy the all aluminum one cause its just better and some things i plan to do to the car way down the road could benefit from it. And if it ever got a leak i could take it somewhere to get welded or attempt to weld it myself.

But its quite a bit more expensive. Like 4x more. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Love it when the headlights are nice and clear.

Nows your chance to do some clear laminx or ppf to keep them clear and from getting pitted.

Out of curiosity how much did they run you, and also why not changing them from the incandescent to something projector like?

$180 for the pair. I didn't upgrade because of the cost. Everyone wants crazy money for GTI or R take offs. The reps are all either too much money or just cheap crap so I went with the oem. These were mint and the price was decent. I fully expect that these will eventually start to crack up as well.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So question for you all.

I found a couple rad options for my car. One is a basic oem swap. Pretty cheap about $60. And then my other option is a mishimoto all aluminium radiator.

Im really tempted to buy the all aluminum one cause its just better and some things i plan to do to the car way down the road could benefit from it. And if it ever got a leak i could take it somewhere to get welded or attempt to weld it myself.

IMO stay with the original OE Radiator. When you use aftermarket Radiators most times they don't fit very well, you have to drill out the holes and/or bend the condenser bracket to fit.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
$180 for the pair. I didn't upgrade because of the cost. Everyone wants crazy money for GTI or R take offs. The reps are all either too much money or just cheap crap so I went with the oem. These were mint and the price was decent. I fully expect that these will eventually start to crack up as well.
:thumbsup: WOW someone who isn't mod crazy.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
So question for you all.

Would recommend sticking with the OEM swap. Cheaper for one, but also you never know what the fitment is gonna be like with an aftermarket one. Especially because its more than likely designed for a GTI and it could have small differences between a GTI and a 2.5 that make it a pain in the ass to install it.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Would recommend sticking with the OEM swap. Cheaper for one, but also you never know what the fitment is gonna be like with an aftermarket one. Especially because its more than likely designed for a GTI and it could have small differences between a GTI and a 2.5 that make it a pain in the ass to install it.

It says it’s specifically for the 2.5l mk6 golf manual trans. And based off pics everything looks to be in the right place. But then again you can never tell a couple mm difference based off pics. They have a separate one for the auto trans. So id like to believe it would be a direct swap.

As far as MLue’s comment about someone not being mod crazy. Im a NLS kinda guy. Never leave stock. I prefer something that looks or preforms different than everyone else’s. Now im not so crazy as to swap in a 4wd haldex system like ive seen done on a mk6 gti but still. [emoji23] im just the right amount of crazy.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Mlue1. What did you say your wheel weight was? I finally found an answer to mine. They come in at 19lbs for a 18x8.5” rim.

Anyone know what the standard oem steelies weigh? Trying to figure how much my tsw’s are compared to others and if they are more towards the light weight or just normal wheels.
Also what do the detroits come in at on a 2010 gti?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...As far as MLue’s comment about someone not being mod crazy. Im a NLS kinda guy. Never leave stock. I prefer something that looks or preforms different than everyone else’s. Now im not so crazy as to swap in a 4wd haldex system like ive seen done on a mk6 gti but still. [emoji23] im just the right amount of crazy...
I'm NOT against mods,... I've done alot my self, you really have to weigh the benefits for yourself.

IE: I'm against adding wheel weight, as well as adding unsprung weight by adding bigger/heavier rotors; perhaps I will open up and share one of my mods as it pertains to brake cooling.

Mlue1. What did you say your wheel weight was? I finally found an answer to mine. They come in at 19lbs for a 18x8.5” rim.

Anyone know what the standard oem steelies weigh? Trying to figure how much my tsw’s are compared to others and if they are more towards the light weight or just normal wheels.
Also what do the detroits come in at on a 2010 gti?
The 16 inch Steelies are just slightly over 19 lbs each, so your 18s are pretty light weight by comparison.:thumbsup:

I personally wouldn't install wheels over 20 lbs on the Golf 2.5, unless it has a turbo.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Mercedes has some really nice wheels but they are pricey and on the heavy side but most are lighter than the VW Detroit Wheels.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Came back after a week visiting home, car felt like it was struggling to start this morning and had a flashing CEL for a couple seconds, and then drove fine afterwards. Felt like a misfire, so looks like I'll be replacing both coils and spark plugs this week.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Just a quick question regarding spark plugs.. Mlue, I purchased the NGK that you recommended on a different thread, do you know if I need to gap those before installing, or are they plug and play?

Phur

Autocross Champion
I thought that was Frederich Nietzsche. [emoji16]

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just a quick question regarding spark plugs.. Mlue, I purchased the NGK that you recommended on a different thread, do you know if I need to gap those before installing, or are they plug and play?
You must always check 'em as assumptions causes problems, ... plus once I torque them and crush the sealing washers on the plugs I would hate to go back in, it just erks me to no end.:mad0259:

EDIT: Once you gap em to spec, use a needle nose pliers and gently place them in the spark plug wells, I knew a guy who used a splak plug socket with a loose retainer that allowed the spark plugs to fall into position, guess what .... when we checked the gaps after the spark plugs fell into position, ... they were all out of spec, the electrode would get bent when they fell in... .

Last edited: