GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

What did you do to your MK6 today?

csumt76

Drag Racing Champion
I used to work with a dude that had these "custom" wheel hangers. I asked him where he got them... He went and took a stock lower control arm bolt out of this bucket by the alignment machines(14x1.50) Then he cut the head off, ground it down smooth and handed it to me. :ROFLMAO: I was like whhhutt lol

zrickety

The Fixer
Hangers are cool and all, but doesn't the hub more or less hold it in place? Then I start a bolt by hand with the socket...
But I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about a stud conversion. LIKE EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS.

csumt76

Drag Racing Champion
Hangers are cool and all, but doesn't the hub more or less hold it in place? Then I start a bolt by hand with the socket...
But I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about a stud conversion. LIKE EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS.
Yea it works pretty good if you have hub centric wheels... lol. Hangers are useful if wheels are heavy af(like a GL or G wagon.) Also if you're working on carbon ceramic brakes. Don't want to damage a 3k rotor... ZR1 vettes actually had a rotor protector foam piece that could go on the disc.

CowTownRacer

Go Kart Champion
Yea it works pretty good if you have hub centric wheels... lol. Hangers are useful if wheels are heavy af(like a GL or G wagon.) Also if you're working on carbon ceramic brakes. Don't want to damage a 3k rotor... ZR1 vettes actually had a rotor protector foam piece that could go on the disc.
I still find using the hub to be a PITA. I have a hanger and I really like it. It's especially useful when you're zipping bolts out with an impact gun, otherwise the wheel likes to come right off.

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Newbie
Today I learned that even though the OZ Alleggerita HLT's have ball seats they need lug bolts that are 8mm deeper than stock. :(

I got a set ordered from Amazon.

Blobb9

Hey, how’s everyone doing. Today i found out my rear main seal is leaking and my valve cover is also leaking. I was told I should get a new engine but i don’t have the money for that. So is it safe to replace all gaskets and seals for my car instead of getting a new motor? The car is at 120k.

csumt76

Drag Racing Champion
Hey, how’s everyone doing. Today i found out my rear main seal is leaking and my valve cover is also leaking. I was told I should get a new engine but i don’t have the money for that. So is it safe to replace all gaskets and seals for my car instead of getting a new motor? The car is at 120k.
Wow why did they say it needs a new engine?

Blobb9

Wow why did they say it needs a new engine?
I was told if my valve cover is leaking then there’s possibly oil in my turbo and that it should be rebuilt. I’m not buying it, so I’ve talked to 3 other mechanics and they basically told me that it would need to be re-sealed and replace all the gaskets and I should be good.

zrickety

The Fixer
Sounds like a new PCV valve is in order. You can get the iAbed billet rear main seal and never have to worry about it again. The valve cover is just some black silicone. You're talking a couple hundred bucks, plus labor. A far cry from a new motor. I literally just rebuilt one that had timing failure, you don't need to spend $3k+ on a couple leaks.

Blobb9

Sounds like a new PCV valve is in order. You can get the iAbed billet rear main seal and never have to worry about it again. The valve cover is just some black silicone. You're talking a couple hundred bucks, plus labor. A far cry from a new motor. I literally just rebuilt one that had timing failure, you don't need to spend $3k+ on a couple leaks.
Thank you so much! Rear main is the most expensive job outside of timing right?

JW with a VW

Go Kart Newbie
I would talk to the town, maybe they will help out. Love your avatar, car looks mean.
Thanks! Yes, I called and left a message...fingers crossed!
I ordered 215/35s and 215/40s...now to decide. ?
35s look great, but after this, I think a lil more sidewall may be in order. ?

PhillyDSG

Passed Driver's Ed
Ordered my protune last night. Boost pipes, and intercooler arrived last week.

Tomorrow if all goes well, the new intercooler, turbo, hard pipes, and tune go on. I think I'll keep to the sleeper look for a bit longer lol

Attachments

Francoleon91

Drag Race Newbie
Ordered my protune last night. Boost pipes, and intercooler arrived last week.

Tomorrow if all goes well, the new intercooler, turbo, hard pipes, and tune go on. I think I'll keep to the sleeper look for a bit longer lol
That a boss kit i see? 5 or 600? ?

Tony48

Go Kart Newbie
Got all my clutch parts. Just waiting for the RMS, misc bolts and I have to buy a support bar.
View attachment 164810
Exciting! In case you didn't know, the flywheel only bolts up one way. On the end of the crankshaft this is indicated by a number stamped between two of the holes. These line up with the small extra hole on the flywheel located between the flywheel bolts. I did not know this and you won't realize until you have installed 7 of the 8 bolts (last bolt won't go in). Since I didn't know this I had to figure out by trial and error...kept rotating and installing the bolts until it worked haha a big pain since the DMFW is a heavy SOB to hold while installing bolts.

Also don't forget to install the intermediate plate before you bolt up the flywheel! It's very easy to forget.

When are you installing?