GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
My is a 2013 the class action lawsuit extended waterpumps to 100k miles or 10years I can't remember if I was for all models. I'm still within 10year mark. But dealership refuses to replace the waterpump because they say it's the radiator.
I'm out on the warranty extension. My car is a 13 but it was sold in 12 and that's when the warranty starts.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone have the Bluetooth microphone fail? People can't hear me I did a test call it was just dead air .

Ordered a replacement mic to replace it. Luckily it was cheap $4

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
They hear you just fine talking on the phone tho?
Yeah , worked fine few weeks ago , and I haven't made any changes to the headunit or messed around with the mic. I'll just have to replace the mic and see if that solves it. I did a full factory reset of the headunit thinking that it may have been the headunit glitch . I hope it not a wiring issue . I'll do a vagcom scan over the weekend to see if it comes up with anything.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Guys... It runs.

It's cranking really slow and the coolant isn't hooked up. Shop thinks the slow crank could be the starter or it could just be a bad ground.
However I'm most alarmed by the initial sound, can anyone say why it would sound like that? There's not what you would call your average throttle pipe, but rather a Frankenstein fitment of the coupler that connects the pancake pipe and the intercooler 😅 basically I'm missing the coupler that connects the intercooler and throttle pipe so he jerryrigged this to get it running. So I'm thinking that may have something to do with the sound, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

vw1300

what I did to my Mk6 today - in the middle of a rear main seal/clutch job - car has 150k miles and was leaking oil like crazy. Was putting on flywheel when I decided the play in terms of "rocking" was too much - could hear metal against metal - ordered a new Sachs unit but will delay re-assembly of car for a few days. Wish I had just ordered a regular single-mass flywheel and clutch kit - cheaper and stronger.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Wasting time at work.. so this is a long one.

Had a little ordeal with my car over the weekend. We were going from the Houston area to Fort Worth (about 4 hour drive) to see a concert my wife wanted to go to. I figured I'd take my car and enjoy the drive there and while in the city. The car was fine on the way there Saturday morning, all day Saturday. The next day we were going to get lunch, maybe check out a few things and head home in the late afternoon. We checked out of our hotel, put our bags in the car, and went I went to start the car it would not turn over. I just replaced the battery, so I was certain it wasn't that. I tried again and the car started, but the CEL was blinking and I saw smoke coming from the exhaust, and the car was shaking. I shut it off. I knew it was something bad.

After a deep breath and dreading the worst, I got out of the car to open the hood and I could see a puddle under the car. I got down and could smell it. It was gas. Opened the hood and couldn't see anything wet from the top down. I didn't have anything with me to get under the car and look. It was a Sunday and we were supposed to be home that night so I panicked and looked for a mechanic and found one that was open. Just a generic shop, but looked decent. It wasn't what I preferred, but I was still in panic mode. I got the car towed there. Once I had gotten there, they looked at my car and said, "Okay, we'll get you all taken care of first thing tomorrow". Apparently, they only did oil changes on Sunday and the mechanics were off that day. My heart sank. My wife and I got a cheap hotel and Uber'd to the movies that evening to try and keep my mind off things. I kept thinking about how if I had known that other shop wouldn't be able to look at the car until Monday, I should've taken it to a VW shop instead. I know there's a bit of a VW scene up in the Dallas/Ft Worth area so I knew there had to be something!

The next morning I looked and reached out to a shop and the first one I called told me to bring it in and that they should be able to get me out by that evening. I called the shop I had it towed to and told them that I was going to take my car elsewhere. The guys was a little upset and said I'd have to pay the $96 diagnostic fee. I was fine with that for some peace of mind. I had the car towed to a shop called GERSpeed and even though the tow truck took forever, they had my car around noon. The original shop had diagnosed the issue correctly, but didn't have the parts and were going to charge me $1400+. This shop also diagnosed the same thing - failed injector seals - but they had injector kits in stock and knew exactly what they were doing. I had some rough idling on cold start which led me to believe I needed a carbon cleaning, but I had supposedly had it done about 25-30K miles ago. I told him that since he was going to have the intake manifold if he wouldn't mind looking at the valves and letting me know. He said it wouldn't be much more to get it done and they'd do it if it looked like it needed it. We got away for a while to walk around downtown Ft Worth and get some food and coffee.

I came back a few hours later and they had the car all but ready. They replaced the injector seals and hardware and had done the carbon cleaning. The photos they took were surprising. Either the shop that had previously done the carbon cleaning, didn't do a good job, or I had accumulated a surprising amount of gunk on the valves. Either way, the car drove home like a champ and the cold starts on the next mornings for work have been so smooth. I was super impressed with the attention to detail GERSpeed gave my car and the price. The cost was basically half of what the original shop had quoted and I got carbon cleaning done!

TLDR; car messed up while out of town, leaked fuel under the engine, bad injector seals, took to 2 shops, VW performance shop did right by me and my car, got me fixed up and cost me a lot less money, I am happy.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...

Had a little ordeal with my car over the weekend. We were going from the Houston area to Fort Worth (about 4 hour drive) to see a concert my wife wanted to go to. I figured I'd take my car and enjoy the drive there and while in the city. The car was fine on the way there Saturday morning, all day Saturday. The next day we were going to get lunch, maybe check out a few things and head home in the late afternoon. We checked out of our hotel, put our bags in the car, and went I went to start the car it would not turn over. I just replaced the battery, so I was certain it wasn't that. I tried again and the car started, but the CEL was blinking and I saw smoke coming from the exhaust, and the car was shaking. I shut it off. I knew it was something bad.

After a deep breath and dreading the worst, I got out of the car to open the hood and I could see a puddle under the car. I got down and could smell it. It was gas. Opened the hood and couldn't see anything wet from the top down. I didn't have anything with me to get under the car and look. It was a Sunday and we were supposed to be home that night so I panicked and looked for a mechanic and found one that was open. Just a generic shop, but looked decent. It wasn't what I preferred, but I was still in panic mode. I got the car towed there. Once I had gotten there, they looked at my car and said, "Okay, we'll get you all taken care of first thing tomorrow". Apparently, they only did oil changes on Sunday and the mechanics were off that day. My heart sank. My wife and I got a cheap hotel and Uber'd to the movies that evening to try and keep my mind off things. I kept thinking about how if I had known that other shop wouldn't be able to look at the car until Monday, I should've taken it to a VW shop instead. I know there's a bit of a VW scene up in the Dallas/Ft Worth area so I knew there had to be something!

The next morning I looked and reached out to a shop and the first one I called told me to bring it in and that they should be able to get me out by that evening. I called the shop I had it towed to and told them that I was going to take my car elsewhere. The guys was a little upset and said I'd have to pay the $96 diagnostic fee. I was fine with that for some peace of mind. I had the car towed to a shop called GERSpeed and even though the tow truck took forever, they had my car around noon. The original shop had diagnosed the issue correctly, but didn't have the parts and were going to charge me $1400+. This shop also diagnosed the same thing - failed injector seals - but they had injector kits in stock and knew exactly what they were doing. I had some rough idling on cold start which led me to believe I needed a carbon cleaning, but I had supposedly had it done about 25-30K miles ago. I told him that since he was going to have the intake manifold if he wouldn't mind looking at the valves and letting me know. He said it wouldn't be much more to get it done and they'd do it if it looked like it needed it. We got away for a while to walk around downtown Ft Worth and get some food and coffee.

I came back a few hours later and they had the car all but ready. They replaced the injector seals and hardware and had done the carbon cleaning. The photos they took were surprising. Either the shop that had previously done the carbon cleaning, didn't do a good job, or I had accumulated a surprising amount of gunk on the valves. Either way, the car drove home like a champ and the cold starts on the next mornings for work have been so smooth. I was super impressed with the attention to detail GERSpeed gave my car and the price. The cost was basically half of what the original shop had quoted and I got carbon cleaning done!

TLDR; car messed up while out of town, leaked fuel under the engine, bad injector seals, took to 2 shops, VW performance shop did right by me and my car, got me fixed up and cost me a lot less money, I am happy.
$1400 for injector re-seal is highway robbery. I would've laughed in their faces, but they probably figured you'd just pay it and go after waiting a week or more for the kit to come in (you most certainly would have). To pull & reseal injectors should run you maybe 2-3hrs max, at today's rates + part cost should be around $375 from shop. The intake clean out is likely another 3hrs of labor, so paying in the neighborhood of $700-750 is very reasonable. Good on you for getting your car out of the first shop.

Last edited:

Al_33

Finished replacing the PO's not to my expectations old Kenwood Stereo
New Kenwood Excelon, replaced the stock AMP with 6 channel JBL DSP. Flashed Maestro RR, Added XM and Navi
Replaced the old school license plate backup camera / wonky setup with manual button for reverse camera (WTH) with a China special that mounts to lic plate light and is activated once in reverse

STEREO SOUNDS AMAZING! It's hard to believe the sound is so good. I wasn't getting enough power from the Dynaudio stock amp
Camera works very well too

Replaced all speakers last year, added a new amp and shallow sub installed in the Uber-Stealth under floor sub box. The head unit / amp was the final piece.
Well not final final (is it ever?) as I will install the hatch logo backup cam is next.
I replaced my Dynaudio system in my MK6 GTI with an Alpine amp and Alpine component speakers and I was shocked that it sounded worse than the Dynaudio system. I'm getting little to no bass from my speakers. Did you have any similar issues with your install?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

when the car arrives on a tow truck at a shop, the shop knows they got you by the collar... I am happy to hear you got it fixed.
If you ever get carbon cleaning done, make sure you request for pictures of before and after... for peace of mind.

Always check the work done by ANY shop... so you know the work was actually done. The shop I bring my GTI to keep the old parts and show me how the old part looks like.

Keep the fueling system in A1 condition guys! major key.

Edit:

I recommend setting aside $10-15k for car repairs/maintenance on a yearly basis. Especially if you own an EURO vehicle.

Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I replaced my Dynaudio system in my MK6 GTI with an Alpine amp and Alpine component speakers and I was shocked that it sounded worse than the Dynaudio system. I'm getting little to no bass from my speakers. Did you have any similar issues with your install?
The days of simply swapping speakers and getting a noticeable improvment are pretty much over. The Dynaudio setup has processing going on specifically for the dyn speakers that were used, and the system is tuned as a package. Swapping speakers while still retaining that dynaudio processing isn't going to result in much of an improvement, if any. Your OEM head unit isn't doing you any favors, but you should be able to code it with vagcom to get a flat, fullrange signal out of it that is unprocessed, that would help a lot if you want to keep the OEM headunit (I wouldn't, it's garbage).

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
when the car arrives on a tow truck at a shop, the shop knows they got you by the collar... I am happy to hear you got it fixed.
If you ever get carbon cleaning done, make sure you request for pictures of before and after... for peace of mind.

Always check the work done by ANY shop... so you know the work was actually done. The shop I bring my GTI to keep the old parts and show me how the old part looks like.

Keep the fueling system in A1 condition guys! major key.

Edit:

I recommend setting aside $10-15k for car repairs/maintenance on a yearly basis. Especially if you own an EURO vehicle.

Oh yeah, for sure. I did get photos, I just didn't have them on my work computer. Here's the before and after. Either the carbon cleaning I got almost 30K wasn't done well (Didn't get pictures that time) or I had more build up than I expected in that amount of time.

10-15 sounds like a lot; if I could I'd save about 2-3k as a goal. I haven't had many major things happen in one year.

Attachments

• 337265689_928404788308698_8602855499450918724_n.jpg
    337265689_928404788308698_8602855499450918724_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 328996991_200700402603860_8610610808549036936_n.jpg
    328996991_200700402603860_8610610808549036936_n.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 50

Thumper

Autocross Champion

That is way excessive, I am pretty maintenance OCD and I don't spend that much on ALL my Euro cars put together. Heck, if I counted 3 sets of track tires every year I'd still fall short. That's like buying a new engine and trans every year. LOL

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Oh yeah, for sure. I did get photos, I just didn't have them on my work computer. Here's the before and after. Either the carbon cleaning I got almost 30K wasn't done well (Didn't get pictures that time) or I had more build up than I expected in that amount of time.

10-15 sounds like a lot; if I could I'd save about 2-3k as a goal. I haven't had many major things happen in one year.
I've done so many carbon cleanings for vw's, that looks "about" right for 30k maybe a little on the heavy side. Drive your car harder 😉 that'll keep the carbon away.