GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

jedred1

jedred1
Installed MK7 PP Bakes, Hawk HPS 5.0, and Pagid rotors and nuespeed lines.
I did my pads and rotors 6 months ago now and all is well. I did not touch the lines but am thinking about going to stainless steel lines at my next flush. How hard is it to replace lines? How much extra brake fluid did you need?

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
I did my pads and rotors 6 months ago now and all is well. I did not touch the lines but am thinking about going to stainless steel lines at my next flush. How hard is it to replace lines? How much extra brake fluid did you need?
I used 3.5 Liters with a pressure bleeder. Bleeding this alone was impossible. I tried twice and didn't get all the air out until running the ABS pump in basic settings I thought I did till I drove it the first time.

Don't get NueSpeed lines the round fitting doesn't index like factory you have to hold it by the barb to keep from rotating.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Installed MK7 PP Bakes, Hawk HPS 5.0, and Pagid rotors and nuespeed lines.

Is this straight bolt up? I don't think I've seen a dedicated discussion on it, but I do know there's some overlap between the two platforms - some of the mk7 guys running NQSBBKs and the like.

===

Did oil changes for the GTI and the Tig over the weekend. I think I may have accidentally used the Tig's old oil filter as the GTI's "new" filter: came downstairs for work this morning and found a NIB Mann filter on the coffee table. Thought to myself "well if that's here, what's in the GTI...?"

Lesson learned and next time I'll write USED on the box or something. I do have some white paint markers coming in soon so I can date my filters, that would've helped too.

Cwmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you planning to do any suspension refresh? Mine is MY13. Trying to determine what needs to be refreshed.

I'm just doing front end links, I went with MOOG HD for that extra girth ya know.

Just put on $200 eBay headlights and $50 Amazon foglights. If they get condensation, then it was worth a try because they look good and I'm just rocking the stock style halogens and like the natural light again instead of the HyPeRxTreme White Xenon JDM yo stuff. The natural light is easy on the eyes for other people too. Looks classy against the candy white.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Got my car on a lift to do some discovery. My underbody is in incredible condition. There's surface rust on some of the rear suspension, and I think some spots need attention (namely the lower control arms), but the actual body is fuckin clean.

PXL_20230808_200516368.jpgPXL_20230808_200507926.jpg

And good news, disguising itself as bad news! The bad news is the cable ripped out of my DV unit. I'm using the Turbosmart EM Kompact DV; I've had codes from it for some time now and I'm guessing it was a loose wire that eventually completely separated. The good news is now I can fix that and my car can pass inspection for the first time in 4 years.

Also finally putting FCPEuro's warranty to use. Ordered a replacement for the charge pipe coupler that I blew off, hopefully this one fits better than the last.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
1691877586131.png

i bought some sound deadening for a hood and trunk project. however, one of my speakers decided to fail on me so while i had everything apart i put some sound deadening on. now one door thunks a little bit more than the rest....sigh....

also, rivets suck ass. make sure you use the correct size drill bit!!! like an idiot i used a small drill bit on the first two fasteners. once i realized my mistake, i tried the correct size but they were already too loose and would spin with the drill bit.... i had to get a nail and hammer the damn things out. for the other two fasteners, with the correct size drill bit they came out super easy.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 288189

i bought some sound deadening for a hood and trunk project. however, one of my speakers decided to fail on me so while i had everything apart i put some sound deadening on. now one door thunks a little bit more than the rest....sigh....

also, rivets suck ass. make sure you use the correct size drill bit!!! like an idiot i used a small drill bit on the first two fasteners. once i realized my mistake, i tried the correct size but they were already too loose and would spin with the drill bit.... i had to get a nail and hammer the damn things out. for the other two fasteners, with the correct size drill bit they came out super easy.
Drilling out the rivets and installing rivnuts and bolts was one of the best uses of time for my needs. Regarding the “thunk” check that door panel carefully to make sure it’s fully seated, if necessary remove again, make sure the panel clips are fully popped, and reinstall.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Fixed my throttle pipe coupler, ezpz. However I need to say fuck you to the diverter valve and whoever decided that putting it where it is was a good idea. This was my second time working on a DV in the car; last time I installed this DV the engine was out. Great, that made it easy to install and I could properly torque every bolt!

Except now I can't use my screwdriver bit holder, the only thing appropriately sized for the DV area, to undo the bolts as they're too tight 🙃 I tried for 30 minutes and was unable to get any movement from two of the three bolts. I gave up and decided my mechanic can do it.

PXL_20230812_215629991.jpg

But all is not gloom, as I fixed a broken part from my 2020 trip: my passenger aero floor. On day 1 of the trip I parked too far off the shoulder and fucked up the FR aero floor. Took a box cutter and made some on the fly adjustments, and it's been that way ever since.

I'm starting to see the progress come together and I do think the car is finally improving. Ending the day with my car parked at my place for the first time in over a month, and that feels good.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Regarding the “thunk” check that door panel carefully to make sure it’s fully seated, if necessary remove again, make sure the panel clips are fully popped, and reinstall.
i meant it in a good way, as in the door sounds heavier/deeper than the rest, because the deadening eliminated a lot of the vibration.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Oh, have you only done 1 door?
yea. the main objective was to replace the broken speaker, not put in sound deadening. but since the panel and speaker was off i had access to the metal panel so i figured i put some on while it's all open. it makes a tiny bit of difference, but not enough that i'd wanna put in the time to do 3 other doors.

Last edited:

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Found out what the clunking noise was coming from the rear. sounded like exhaust hitting ended up being the sway bar bushing slipped out.

1691954781035.jpeg

ST suspension 26mm bar, bushing material looks like shit. I flipped it around and we’ll see how long it holds before the flange tears again.

Any recommendations for replacement 26mm? All I can find is stock