GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I had a minor leak in the vacuum pump a couple of weeks ago so I bought a rebuild kit. There are three long bolts holding the pump on and the one at the bottom closest to the firewall came out with the aluminum threads on the end. I'm no stranger to helicoils but this was challenging due to the tight space. Fortunately, I was able to obtain a right angle drill attachment which was instrumental in getting the job done.

I'll need to grab one of those right angle attachments. Only only just recently starting to buy power tools, and something like that would have saved me a good bit of trouble with the heat shield last week

Cwmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
IMG_5520.jpeg

https://www.pelicanparts.com/

I needed a phone Mount and this is in line with the charger below, I bought a sweet ass forged carbon fiber phone case on Amazon for $30 that has a metal plate built in.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
I had a minor leak in the vacuum pump a couple of weeks ago so I bought a rebuild kit. There are three long bolts holding the pump on and the one at the bottom closest to the firewall came out with the aluminum threads on the end. I'm no stranger to helicoils but this was challenging due to the tight space. Fortunately, I was able to obtain a right angle drill attachment which was instrumental in getting the job done.
View attachment 291008
Great tool I use it on a daily basis on bumpers have one with a Philips bit and one with a torx. Both are Dewalt and have been using them for years.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
K04 is done. Install took about 5 hours today. Coolant banjo line was a bitch, had to redo it 3 times because it kept leaking.

Just need to top up the coolant/get the air out of the lines and tune it
20230921_163621.jpg

smanierre

Autocross Champion
yeah I bet that car feels rowdy
Yeah, it's definitely pretty wild, I was so used to it peaking at like 4k then dying out up top, now it comes alive around 4k and just pulls harder and harder until redline.
Helicoiled a transmission mount bolt I damaged during the clutch install. Also replaced one of the turbo manifold studs that came out during the removal. VW said no parts till Thursday
View attachment 291005
I had to helicoil that one as well too. When I was drilling out the threads I accidentally went into the transmission case, jb weld to the rescue, no issues so far.
K04 is done. Install took about 5 hours today. Coolant banjo line was a bitch, had to redo it 3 times because it kept leaking.

Just need to top up the coolant/get the air out of the lines and tune it
View attachment 291093
My coolant return bolt at the block is leaking slowly, gotta go in and replace the washers and crank it down again, really annoying

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Alright y'all, I'm exploring different ways to clean the intake valves with the intake manifold on and the bottles of chemicals are just not economical.

Here's what I understand... water can remove carbon deposits, but only under certain conditions. You can't just dump water into the intake and have it do anything (other than risk hydrolocking the engine). At a minimum it has to be atomized, but ideally it also needs to be hot. So here's my idea: I bought a second PCV breather hose and I'm going to drill a hole in it at just the right size to insert a steam cleaner nozzle into it.

It's a cheap experiment. $20 for the hose and I already have a steam cleaner.

Alternatively I can use the port to inject cheaper chemicals like carb cleaner in.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Alright y'all, I'm exploring different ways to clean the intake valves with the intake manifold on and the bottles of chemicals are just not economical.

Here's what I understand... water can remove carbon deposits, but only under certain conditions. You can't just dump water into the intake and have it do anything (other than risk hydrolocking the engine). At a minimum it has to be atomized, but ideally it also needs to be hot. So here's my idea: I bought a second PCV breather hose and I'm going to drill a hole in it at just the right size to insert a steam cleaner nozzle into it.

It's a cheap experiment. $20 for the hose and I already have a steam cleaner.

Alternatively I can use the port to inject cheaper chemicals like carb cleaner in.
I'll save you the trouble, it doesn't work. I was mid way done with a carbon cleaning once with the manifold off and ran out of walnut media, tried using a steamer, it did basically nothing and that was with the manifold off. You need abrasives

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'll save you the trouble, it doesn't work. I was mid way done with a carbon cleaning once with the manifold off and ran out of walnut media, tried using a steamer, it did basically nothing and that was with the manifold off. You need abrasives
ah dammit

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Pulling the intake manifold isn't that bad, I think it's probably going to be the easiest way to get it done right. Even with a wire brush on a dremel it took me a while to get everything off the valves

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Pulling the intake manifold isn't that bad, I think it's probably going to be the easiest way to get it done right. Even with a wire brush on a dremel it took me a while to get everything off the valves
I've learned a few things that I'll never do again in my time swapping around engines:
- not dropping the trans with the engine installed
- not removing the intake manifold (shop only here on out)
- not removing the exhaust manifold/turbo with the engine installed
I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to DIY work but all three of those sucked to do IMO. And, without having a charged AC system, I would rather pull the motor on my own to do work than try and work in the bay. Just too tight for my liking.