GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Andrew429

Ready to race!
It definitely feels fuel related. I asked the shop to replace/provided them with a new fuel filter, but I haven't checked if that got replaced (they were cleaning up the mess I gave them, so understandably some stuff slipped through the cracks).

It takes 2-5 attempts to get it to start, and then it chugs for a little under a minute during initial idle. Subsequent warm starts are fine. I did feel what might've been breakup during my ride this morning but I wasn't certain and it was very brief.

View attachment 279713View attachment 279714
I swear to god I can't stop taking pics of it ♥️

To my knowledge, the lpfp would be the original one so it's definitely worth considering 🤔
I havent read back to see your full problem but thought I’d add this in, maybe it’ll be of help…you should plug into vagcom and log the requested fuel pressure vs actual. A family's tiguan HPFP failed and it had a tough time starting. I logged it, it was requesting (I forgot the amount) say 140 but was only receiving like half. Also in vagcom you can activate the servo in the HPFP they are known to fail (thats what failed on ours), youll hear a clicking sound if it is working, if not chances are it is bad.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Clutch stop installed, definitely better than stock. However, a question for those who went with ECS Tuning's option, did you find that even fully maxed out, the engagement point is basically foot to the floor? I still have the nut behind the stop, and I think I'll shave it down a hair on the belt sander tomorrow, but if I crank the nut onto the stop and then the stop into the car as hard as I can without tools, I get barely enough room to get a consistently successful engagement. Any less than maximum effort and it engages on the floor.

Also, I hit 650 miles today, after 9 days of driving. Even though I've only done about 150 interstate miles, I'm gonna give the clutch another 200 miles to break in.

Lastly, I've been wanting to get a Fast plushie, but whilst cleaning out old stuff at my mom's place I found this Pikachu plushie I had when I was younger. I'm calling it my Quick.

Screenshot_20230503-180530.png

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
I'm playing catch up here, this wasn't all done in a day :)
  • Rebuilt the upper downpipe section for more optimal placement around ABS pump and Wastegate with 321 SS.
  • New Injector Dynamics 1050-XDS injectors
  • New sub-harnesses for injectors and ignition (Tefzel wire, DR-25, Raychem boots, labels, Deutsch connectors)
  • HeaderShield thermal insulation on the tubular manifold, turbine housing, and upper downpipe
  • Hacked up the compressor housing to convert silicon connections to AlphaLoc systems. Port machined inlet, converted outlet to 2.5"

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I'm playing catch up here, this wasn't all done in a day :)
  • Rebuilt the upper downpipe section for more optimal placement around ABS pump and Wastegate with 321 SS.
  • New Injector Dynamics 1050-XDS injectors
  • New sub-harnesses for injectors and ignition (Tefzel wire, DR-25, Raychem boots, labels, Deutsch connectors)
  • HeaderShield thermal insulation on the tubular manifold, turbine housing, and upper downpipe
  • Hacked up the compressor housing to convert silicon connections to AlphaLoc systems. Port machined inlet, converted outlet to 2.5"

hey bud, where did you get the AUDI RINGS intake manifold?
1683565270752.png

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Replaced my fuel pump and fixed a loose throttle sensor, and one of those fixed my startup issues 🥳 with the new starter and pump, this thing cranks quick and starts fast, it's feeling better than the day I got it

PXL_20230507_203651058.jpg

Ongoing work with my shifter. Car came with both of dieselgeek's Sigma 6 short shifter parts, and this weekend I installed the super pin. I'll align the Sigma 6 then tackle the FGG next.

PXL_20230507_212221548.jpg

Anyone heard of someone doing a custom center console? I'm running around without mine until my shifter is set, and I really dig how much space it opens up and how good it looks. I think if I made surround for the shifter base, as well as a couple other pieces, it could look really good

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Replaced my fuel pump and fixed a loose throttle sensor, and one of those fixed my startup issues 🥳 with the new starter and pump, this thing cranks quick and starts fast, it's feeling better than the day I got it

View attachment 280332

Ongoing work with my shifter. Car came with both of dieselgeek's Sigma 6 short shifter parts, and this weekend I installed the super pin. I'll align the Sigma 6 then tackle the FGG next.

View attachment 280333

Anyone heard of someone doing a custom center console? I'm running around without mine until my shifter is set, and I really dig how much space it opens up and how good it looks. I think if I made surround for the shifter base, as well as a couple other pieces, it could look really good
ayyyy that's good to hear. I recently replaced the fuel pumps and starter motor, I notice the same, no more car start up issues! can you time how long it takes to crank and turn over? mine is anywhere from 1.5-2.2seconds. It used to be longer before...

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
ayyyy that's good to hear. I recently replaced the fuel pumps and starter motor, I notice the same, no more car start up issues! can you time how long it takes to crank and turn over? mine is anywhere from 1.5-2.2seconds. It used to be longer before...
The cranking is nearly twice as fast. I'd say that sounds about right, less than 2 seconds and it's under 40°

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
The cranking is nearly twice as fast. I'd say that sounds about right, less than 2 seconds and it's under 40°
excellent! Sounds good man. Our cars are close to being 15 years old so a lot of components will need to be replaced. I plan on getting a BRAND NEW alternator soon. Not in a hurry but soon, it's on the list.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
So in all the years Ive been working on vw's I've never replaced an n80. Getting a large leak evap cel. Seems like they're two versions, one just the actuator unit, and second that comes with the hoses attached for the manifold side. The n80 has a soft rubber line on one side which would come off easily, but the other side is a hard rubber line which seems like it would break easily trying to get it off the n80. Anyone have success getting that off without breaking the line?

Taking the manifold off to replace the lines isn't a big deal, but it's a big price difference between the two. I'd rather just replace the actuator unit if I can get away with it. Insights?

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
So in all the years Ive been working on vw's I've never replaced an n80. Getting a large leak evap cel. Seems like they're two versions, one just the actuator unit, and second that comes with the hoses attached for the manifold side. The n80 has a soft rubber line on one side which would come off easily, but the other side is a hard rubber line which seems like it would break easily trying to get it off the n80. Anyone have success getting that off without breaking the line?

Taking the manifold off to replace the lines isn't a big deal, but it's a big price difference between the two. I'd rather just replace the actuator unit if I can get away with it. Insights?
If you use heat to soften the tubing it may slip off.

After recently doing an intake, I think it's possible to replace it without complete removal. Remove the support bracket and TB you gain a lot of room.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Clutch stop installed, definitely better than stock. However, a question for those who went with ECS Tuning's option, did you find that even fully maxed out, the engagement point is basically foot to the floor? I still have the nut behind the stop, and I think I'll shave it down a hair on the belt sander tomorrow, but if I crank the nut onto the stop and then the stop into the car as hard as I can without tools, I get barely enough room to get a consistently successful engagement. Any less than maximum effort and it engages on the floor.

I'm not understanding. If you have the stop installed and maxed out on the nut how can you get it to the floor? When I installed mine I had it maxed out and could not start the car because it was too high to engage the clutch safety. Right now I have the nut about halfway on the stop and tighten it down to the car with an open end, it's not perfect but is better than factory and lets the car start. It's on my list of things to play with after I solve all my other issues and projects.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I'm not understanding. If you have the stop installed and maxed out on the nut how can you get it to the floor? When I installed mine I had it maxed out and could not start the car because it was too high to engage the clutch safety. Right now I have the nut about halfway on the stop and tighten it down to the car with an open end, it's not perfect but is better than factory and lets the car start. It's on my list of things to play with after I solve all my other issues and projects.
I wasn't very clear. I initially snugged the bolt to the stop then snugged that assembly to the car. When I say "foot to the floor" I'm referencing the farthest my clutch can depress, the stop being the floor. The result was me lifting my foot millimeters to engage the clutch, basically an on/off switch.
I then removed the assembly, tightened the nut to the stop and tightened the assembly to the car. This was passable at the very least, about an inch or so of travel.
When I got to work the next day, I shaved the nut down about a millimeter. This is what I'm currently using, and it's almost comfortable, and most of my issues pertain to my aggressive clutch. I have about 2 inches of travel, maybe less. I think if I'm going to do anything else to it, it's changing the nut out for some washers or spacers, getting rid of the sharp edges.
It's interesting that our clutch engagement points are so different. If it counts for anything, I have a braided clutch line and upgraded bleeder block, maybe that would cause a difference?

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
I wasn't very clear. I initially snugged the bolt to the stop then snugged that assembly to the car. When I say "foot to the floor" I'm referencing the farthest my clutch can depress, the stop being the floor. The result was me lifting my foot millimeters to engage the clutch, basically an on/off switch.
I then removed the assembly, tightened the nut to the stop and tightened the assembly to the car. This was passable at the very least, about an inch or so of travel.
When I got to work the next day, I shaved the nut down about a millimeter. This is what I'm currently using, and it's almost comfortable, and most of my issues pertain to my aggressive clutch. I have about 2 inches of travel, maybe less. I think if I'm going to do anything else to it, it's changing the nut out for some washers or spacers, getting rid of the sharp edges.
It's interesting that our clutch engagement points are so different. If it counts for anything, I have a braided clutch line and upgraded bleeder block, maybe that would cause a difference?
What Clutch do you have?
My experience is like this as well.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Spec stage 3+ w/ the 16lbs flywheel
It's the one my car came with; when I was replacing my engine I noticed my clutch was gone and the flywheel was warped. Couldn't spend the 1k to replace it so I bought ECS' Stage 2 offering.
Didn't like it compared to the Spec kit, so I went back. I'm breaking it in (~690 miles) and it's very grabby. Reverse is a bitch and bucks, making it hard to control my speed with my clutch.
I'm also not used to driving my car anymore; I can feel myself actively improving, though, so combined with the mods I'm doing and the clutch breaking in, I think it'll feel good in the end.

Last edited: