GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What supporting mods do I need for a k04 turbo?

Versa

Im currently on an APR stage 1 plus and thinking to upgrade to a K04 turbo. Does this mean I need to buy the apr k04 turbo? would it be cheaper if I go somewhere else idk ?
Also if I do go on and purchase a K04, what supporting mods would I really need and any other secondary supporting mods. Any help would be appreciated, as I have no one to ask in person about VW cars.
My Curent Mk6 Gti setup:
Eddy power Intake
BOV
Custom Downpipe
Xforce catback exhaust
APR STAGE 1

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Based on your first question you need to spend about 20 hours reading the forums. To answer your questions:
  • You don't need to go with APR but it's a good kit. Look at integrated engineering, CTS, HPA and others for similar kits for less money.
  • APR sells the most expensive K04 kit. A kit from any other company would be cheaper.
  • The only thing you absolutely need, other than what you already have, is a clutch. You should also consider an upgraded intercooler. There are many optional mods that would support a k04 that I'm not going into.

Versa

im running a DSG. do I need anything to support a DSG transmission. Also after the k04 change, you require a tune right? how much would the car make with the k04 turbo? thanks

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
This question has been asked a million times, but most people going K04 have:
  • Intake
  • Downpipe
  • Intercooler
  • K04 tune
  • Upgraded/fresh spark plugs
  • If they haven’t failed yet, ignition coils
  • Clutch/DSG tune
  • Engine/trans mounts
Anything else is usually accessory and not really required. Things like turbo outlet pipe, throttle pipe, water/meth injection, etc. I’m pretty sure you’ll want to get rid of the BOV as well, I haven’t heard anyone use them successfully long term

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
You're getting your cart before your horse(power). :cautious: Like Cowtown said, you need to do some (well, a lot, really) reading and research. Answering a bunch of questions isn't going to help much with your understanding.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I think you technically don't need anything besides a downpipe and tune. Still will have some good power but yeah intake and intercooler will help a lot.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
“Need” really depends on what you want to do with it. If you‘re looking for a quick run through the gears on the street it sounds like all you really need is a downpipe, K04, and a tune; maybe also plugs and coilpacks. It wouldn't be optimal as the stock intercooler will be heat soaked after a pull and your diverter valve probably will not hold boost, but it should still accelerate a good bit faster.

If you want repeat pulls or the ability to do track days where you run flat out for 20-30 minutes the ”need” list gets a lot longer.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Maybe you should quit being a wuss and skip the k04 and go full k420+

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
+1 on bigger turbo. Not gonna lie I regret going ko4, it left me wanting more! The ko4 is amazing though. As for mods I most certainly recommend an aftermarket intercooler. Also a dsg trans tune.

Versa

+1 on bigger turbo. Not gonna lie I regret going ko4, it left me wanting more! The ko4 is amazing though. As for mods I most certainly recommend an aftermarket intercooler. Also a dsg trans tune.
what more Is there in power than a k04 on a gti?

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
what more Is there in power than a k04 on a gti?
The gt28 and gt30 are a couple worth mentioning. The thing is ur list will get lengthy as you will need to beef up your motor. Gets pretty pricey. But ko4 is definitely the bang for your buck. You’ll be able to beat most of the baseline v8’s.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
My friend sent me this last night....built motor and Garrett g25 660 turbo....this is on 93 and water meth, once it's tuned for ethanol should be around 570...

received_257511918678316.jpeg