GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WHY did you buy your VW [insert model here]

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!
After owning a couple S4s and 2 WRXs, i wanted something 6 speed and mod friendly, my buddy had purchased a 14 CSG GTI manual, i drove it completely stock and it sold me instantly. I started looking for one and found the one i purchased it used, 2013 CW 4 door(car seat fits awesome) GTI 6 speed out of NJ. Car wasnt really gone through so when i got it home after a 4 hour car ride, i went through the glovebox and found a receipt from Douglas Motorsports and it had a fully loaded APR stage 1 tune done. With in two weeks of owning it i lowered it and installed a catless DP and had it upgraded to a stage 2 and i havent looked back. Car drives like a dream, quick as hell, not as fast as my fully built wrx or stage 3 s4 but its more than practical. Great gas mileage and loads of fun to drive.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to change my original response to temporary insanity. Yeah, that is how I ended up with a GTI because I keep asking myself "WTF were you thinking" almost every other day.

Oh well, at least I can enjoy the car for what it is, a daily driver that is getting beat up on these lovely Louisiana roads.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I had a mk4 gti vr6 for about 6 years. Once it was about 10 years old and had over 120k miles it turned into a giant pile of shit. The only thing I liked about the car was the exhaust tone, and I absolutely hated driving it. I pretty much woke up one day and decided to trade it in that very day. Found a 2011 gti with a manual tranny at a local dealer and I've been driving that for about 2 and a half years now.

The GTI just seems to fit me. I look at other cars and it's not me, or I can't afford it.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I had a mk4 gti vr6 for about 6 years. Once it was about 10 years old and had over 120k miles it turned into a giant pile of shit. The only thing I liked about the car was the exhaust tone, and I absolutely hated driving it. I pretty much woke up one day and decided to trade it in that very day. Found a 2011 gti with a manual tranny at a local dealer and I've been driving that for about 2 and a half years now.

The GTI just seems to fit me. I look at other cars and it's not me, or I can't afford it.

My story is similar, I had a MK4 VR6 my sophomore year of high school(I'm 20 now) and I fell in love with it. That was when I realized my Japanese "dream cars" we're nothing compared to euro performance. I had Hondas and a Toyota after my MK4 and the performance in those things just wouldn't cut it. I felt better and different in my MK4, pretty different from the crowd in my eyes and I just had to trade in my 2014 Corolla for one lol it suits me better and I feel better paying for something I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClaytonBrown

Ready to race!
Needed either a hatch or a truck and was looking at Mazda 3's (I already have a sedan 3) and test drove a 2014 2.5 but was really expecting more out of the engine. never really had a fast car before... Sales dude told me they had a GTI on the lot they were willing to make a deal on... I drove it, loved the drive but not the trim (black with the checkers and no sunroof), plus it had legit rust on one of the door hinges and discoloration on the back bumper. Searched for a while before finding a white 2013 autobahn with 20k miles priced at 20k! Car is a dream.

NeoInk

after owning an Evo 8, 2.5RS and Saabaru 92-x aero, I always like turbo 4's, My buddy took me for a drive in his GTI and it was a wrap... I can fit my bike, rock climbing gear, S.U.P.

kri$han

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool thread! I started with an assortment of used/old domestics; Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, a cavalier, couple caravans, etc. which led me to my first new car: a 2001 Honda Prelude.

I loved that thing (before I realized how idiotic it is to be in love with a machine), and it took me everywhere for 14 solid years. I put it through its paces; track-days, student relocations, car-club events, modding, maintenance - the full car ownership experience.

Once I needed a replacement, I realized that I absolutely need a few things from any car I own:
- it must be quick: not fast, cuz I can't afford fast, but "fast enough"
- it must be versatile: two wheels are all you need for enjoyment, so anything with 4 wheels must be used when two wheeling it isn't an option
- it must be manual: for the driving experience, and
- it must *somehow* be special: even though I use it as a "pedestrian commuter" car, I don't want it to look or behave like one.

I wasn't even looking for a VW GTI, until I came across one on kijiji; and it ticked off all the boxes. Plus it was a great deal, and I was curious to try out ze German engineering perspective. Now all I want to replace my mk6 is a mk7 lol

There is a definite difference between the way Japanese and German cars are designed, conceptualized and built. Both have their pros and cons, and you can never truly understand either until you own them. I'm happy with my decision (until my chain tensioner fails).

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
The GTI was on my "If only I could afford" list in high school fast forward about 9 years and I needed a car that was sensible for not only myself but for my wife to drive and carry our first child. I wanted something with a turbo, and had to be automatic (wife refuses to drive stick) so after cross shopping all the cars under $30k I was at the GTI or IMO the deal of the century on an EVO MR. The GTI was found first and I really love it. The only complaint I really have with it is I never leave a car stock and FWD isn't really the greatest platform to build HOWEVER I don't really drive my cars to their limits either for me its about spending the time learning and making it my own then smiling when an open stretch of road presents itself and I can mash on the gas! Then go home and take the kids for ice cream or the wife out for dinner and everyone enjoys the ride. with the GTI you don't have to sacrifice much just traction :) refinement, fun to drive, comfort, its all there!