GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wind noise? Road noise? on MK6 3dr

sa666

Greetings!

I was driving my candy wht mk6/3dr w/ DSG for the last few weeks.
No real big issues so far - no rattling, no drippings from rear nozzle nor air leaks.

One thing though, and I'm trying to figure out if it is normal in VWs since I never owned one before.

When the car hits around 40mph and above, I hear this cracking sounds(more like those sound of the under body being hit my debris from road in normal cars, just sounds louder to me) from the b-pillar I suspect.

It's winter here in Chicago and I know there are a lot of salts in the street and I also understand we hear this cracking sounds that's being picked up from the road in any cars up to a certain degree. I'm just wondering if it normal in 3dr GTI/Golfs that those sounds are quite amplified compared to those of japanese family cars.

Besides that issue, this car drives like a wonder!
Coming from a camry, it is sooooo fun to drive and so fun to just look at.

Thanks everyone in advance.:w00t:

TREGinginCO

Ready to race!
I had that issue with my 4-dr... and it was fixed last week. The dealer adjusted the striker plate on the door. So far, so good.

sa666

thx

thanks TREGinginCO,
i set up an appointment today. I'll post the result as it gets resolved..

jmatero

Passed Driver's Ed
The striker plate is mounted to the b-pillar... the loop of metal the door latch grasps. Apparently, the weatherstripping needs a redesign... it is not collapsing enough causing noise, water leaks, etc. I disagree that the issue is a misaligned door as mine is perfectly flush with the surrounding body panels and any adjustment of the striker plate would pull the door inward. If it is pulled inward, the door wouldn't be flush with the surrounding panels.

sa666

I went to the dealer and the tech guy told me he couldn't hear anything. He did went ahead and did some adjustments to get the door more tightly shut. I still hear some but think it's better. I also drove with the sales guy who has been really nice to me, and we went ahead to double check if it was a regular sound or not. He also said it's not coming from the door issues the early 10 copies they have received last year had. It is not a wind noise and not the end of the day for me, so i'll just hang on to it until the car breaks in a little bit more and when the winter is over.

I at least think this road noise is better than those annoying rattling noises. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid here.

FYI, i did noticed the water dripping from the rear nozzle... looks likes a few drop. did anyone got this fixed? I hear this issue the most but haven't heard about a perfect fix so far.

Happy G-T-I-ing folks!

jmatero

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like some first-year bugs are fairly wide-spread:
1. 2-door weather seals not working as intended or doors needing adjustment.
2. Rear washer nozzle dripping fluid.

sa666

bringing my car in back this saturday. I will be very upset if they don't get in done right this time. The good thing is that I only live a few blocks away(walking distance) from the dealershop :)

Will post with the result over the weekend.

sa666

Ok. So I re checked my car in today 7:30am. the new guy who took my car in was much better than the guy from the other day. He totally understood what the problem is and agreed it's a common problem on 3doors(the guy on Tuesday told me that he never heard about this problem. F*** a***le!). He informed me that he will have to take a look at the striker plate and the seals, in the worst case bend the door (!?).

Got a call back in a few hours. I am told that they did the striker plate and seal(sounds like a pretty common solution according to this forum). went on a test drive. 35-silent, 45-ah! silent, 60-ahhh!silent, 70-ahhhhhh! it's solved!!!!!

I hear the regular wind noises(it was gusty today here in chicago), but those annoying cracking noises and suspected road noises are gone!!!! Those who experience bothering noises over your left side shoulder should defiantely check your car in. it's a fixable problem. Also, The door is still flush with the rest of the panel. actually it looks better flush than the passenger side, but I won't mess around with the passenger side since it's absolutely silent on that side.

side note, when I asked about the rear nozzle, he knew about the issue and told me that the parts are on it's way. good to know things are being taken care of.

Kudos to the Fletcher Jones tech support in Chicago and F* that dude who took care of my car on Tuesday.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I'm wondering if I have this issue or if I have an exhaust issue - because I hear what sounds like wind noise, but it's definitely more engine load/rpm linked than it is speed linked. Also seems to be coming from below me, not near my ear. It *sounds* like an exhaust leak to me, but I was thinking this might be a normal sound... but it's definitely NOT coming from the engine bay or resonator up there and it's NOT coming from the rear with the normal exhaust noise. Won't be able to get to my dealer for at least a week or so (heading out of town), so any thoughts?

Stein357

Ready to race!
Glad to hear the issue got resolved, my car has the same wind noise and rattling sound. I'm taking it in on Friday to get it resolved hopefully.

Nefilim

Ready to race!
I have a 2d and I only have the dripping nozzle. How does the faulty seals manifest itself? Does water collect inside the car or is there a particular noise I'm looking for?

I did have some rattling noise but I've barely been able to hear it. I think I've noticed it twice in my 1700 miles.