GOLFMKV

Wind noise solved

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
They replaced it. Here's the part detail:

FP-NUMBER: 5K3-837-432-B-5AP
DESCRIPTION: CHANNEL
QTY: 1

Had to wait 2 days for them to ship it from another location in the USA.
I must have a different noise because I tried pressing that spot when I heard it and it didn't help.

snofrandy

Ready to race!
this is my exact problem. I tried pressing on it driving home and the noise went away! thank you!! now trying to get rid of the side view mirror wind noise.

-randy

Marvin

Ready to race!
Definitely you will hear some kind of noise of wind blowing past the car when going at a high speed, however the one that I experienced is very obviously different and I can tell because it happens on only one door but not on the other. It's really irritating, a hissing noise rather than a normal buffeting kind of wind noise.

It pays sometimes to bring down the windows and put them up again as they might drop ever so slightly thus giving rise to noises.
I did this last year after an unexpected wind noise developed near my right ear (in my case a rhd drive car). It cured this problem.

McQueen77

Banned
Definitely you will hear some kind of noise of wind blowing past the car when going at a high speed, however the one that I experienced is very obviously different and I can tell because it happens on only one door but not on the other. It's really irritating, a hissing noise rather than a normal buffeting kind of wind noise.

This is the exact problem I have. Took it to VW Pasadena and they adjusted the striker plate, which did nothing except made the wind hiss come on at 50mph instead of 65! I have an appt. to go back there next monday the 10th and the service manager vows to fix it and has agreed to give me a loaner in the process. With my luck, itll prob be some crappy Jetta or something. I am going to tell them the part number etc. though for the window seal and tell them to put the strike plate back to where it was. Hopefully this will fix it.

BentValve

Ready to race!
My wind noise was fixed at the dealership, there is a T.S.B. (Technical Service Bulletin) from VW for wind noise which adds an additional seal inside the other window seal. It worked perfectly for me, no more wind noise. Id give you the T.S.B. number if I did not throw it away.

McQueen77

Banned
My wind noise was fixed at the dealership, there is a T.S.B. (Technical Service Bulletin) from VW for wind noise which adds an additional seal inside the other window seal. It worked perfectly for me, no more wind noise. Id give you the T.S.B. number if I did not throw it away.

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to gather all possible info as I am going back to the dealer on monday for hopefully the final fix.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I noticed the wind noise today and I'm at almost 14,000 km's. I pushed lightly on the window it was going up and the noise went away. It was kind of a pain in the ass though. If someone can get me the TSB number for when I go into the dealer on Monday, it would be greatly appreciated.

Gosbluemlf

I noticed the wind noise today and I'm at almost 14,000 km's. I pushed lightly on the window it was going up and the noise went away. It was kind of a pain in the ass though. If someone can get me the TSB number for when I go into the dealer on Monday, it would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are referring to the following? I took my car into get this fixed, but haven't had a chance to verify that the wind noise is completely gone. Hope this helps.

TS-57-10-05
OR
America TSB 2023699

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4662231-2010-GTI-Annoying-Wind-Noise-from-Door-Seal

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I just talked to the dealer and they had told me that there was a TSB out on this. They had adjusted the door anyways for the time being until the parts come in. Woohoo!

McQueen77

Banned
So I brought the GTI back in today to address the wind noise issue and also to address some rattles. We took a drive, this time with a new service tech, and he noticed the noise right away. He said they were going to pressurize the cabin and use a microphone to isolate exactly where the noise was coming from, repair the seal if need be, but said it could also be related to the latch. Fingers crossed on this. Gave them the info on the part as well as the TSB and they were like "thanks, we got it". Sort of felt like saying "no, you didn't have it because this is the second time I'm bringing the car in for the same problem. Last time you adjusted the strike plate and it made the noise worse."
Anyway I started talking to the guy about rattle and said the lithium grease had helped and he said that he noticed that and that he was going to clean out the lithium grease and regrease it with this Krytox silicone grease that he says works better. He says the common cause of the door rattles in the GTI is due to the fact that for some reason, when the cars are shipped from Germany to NA, the latches etc. are always under-greased and that they have to re-grease stuff often and that it solves the problem.

So we'll see, this guy this time around seemed more interested in the problem and the service manager said he is committed to making sure the car is as silent as can be when I pick it up. Meantime, they gave me a rental car free, so thats cool at least, as I had to take the shuttle from the dealer and back last time.

I will post final results when they hopefully solve these little interior glitches.

invisibleman

Ready to race!
My dealer performed the TSB 2023699, all they did was putting the form pad between the door seal and the trim on the driver side. But the noise is still there, I am so pissed! Anyone brought their car in for noise and they did something else beside form pad method? PLEASE post the TSB # + parts that they used on your invoice!