GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheel set-up ?: 16" steelies or 17" alloys

brutus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Its my first time buying a dedicated winter wheel set-up (Just bought my GTI this summer). Should I go with a 16" steelie wheel set-up or get a 17" cheaper alloy wheel set-up (which would cost about $400 more than the steelies)? I am leaning toward the steelies because I'm not that concerned with winter looks plus I could just use that extra money to put towards wheels next spring. What do you guys think?

djaikon

Ready to race!
Its my first time buying a dedicated winter wheel set-up (Just bought my GTI this summer). Should I go with a 16" steelie wheel set-up or get a 17" cheaper alloy wheel set-up (which would cost about $400 more than the steelies)? I am leaning toward the steelies because I'm not that concerned with winter looks plus I could just use that extra money to put towards wheels next spring. What do you guys think?

I personally go with the 16" steelies for a few reasons...cheaper rims, cheaper tires, and if I slide into a curb or hit one that's covered in snow, I don't care if I damage the steelies.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I had 16" steelies but am going with a 17" setup for this winter. 16s feel very floaty and the 17" should feel a little more planted in the winter.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
16" is probably cheaper and potentially better for snow tire use. I would've gone that route if it weren't for the dirt cheap 17" setup I got locally...

brutus1

Passed Driver's Ed
I faced the same question when I got my car last November. I ended up getting 16" alloys at $85/ea at TireRack.com

I used to use steelies on my mk4 GTI, but this time I priced cheap alloy wheels. They weren't that much more than the steelies and....no rust!

FWIW, here's what I bought (the price is now $89/ea)
Sport Edition F7

Thats a good point about the rust, I didn't even think about that. Do steelies normally rust?

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Why not do 16" w/ alloys? You get more rubber sidewall thus always winning vs. Potholes and alloys will look better and last longer

herbert6368

Go Kart Champion
Steelies are better!!1

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
I had 16" steelies but am going with a 17" setup for this winter. 16s feel very floaty and the 17" should feel a little more planted in the winter.

I totally agree about the floatiness. I went 16" MSW Type 22 (or 21, can't remember) from Tire Rack. Excellent deal/service/purchase etc. The 16" just about clear the brake caliper. I think I would still go 16" but maybe a performance winter (I went with General Altimax). The Toronto roads are a nightmare for potholes. Plus the tires are cheaper at 16"

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I did 16" alloys with performance snows when I had my winter set up. Cheap and light.
Would probably look in the classifieds if I was going back to dedicated winter's.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I figure since the roads are dry most of the time I'd rather have the 17s. I'm sure in the snow the 17 gives up a little performance but we will see I guess. I'm planning on trying out Hankooks new winter tire.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I run 19" TSW Nurbs for summer so I was looking to go with 17's for winter. I was lucky enough to nab a set of 17" black O.Z. Alleggeritas in pristine condition with Continental DSW tires for an amazing price of $415. The point is.... whatever you're looking for, if you keep your eyes open, good deals will spring up.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I run 19" TSW Nurbs for summer so I was looking to go with 17's for winter. I was lucky enough to nab a set of 17" black O.Z. Alleggeritas in pristine condition with Continental DSW tires for an amazing price of $415. The point is.... whatever you're looking for, if you keep your eyes open, good deals will spring up.

Wow. That a smoking deal and a sweet winter setup!