GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WMI vs AUX fuel (stratified)

AutoXCivic

Planning out my build. I was originally going to go for a modest 300 - 350 whp ... nice standard K04 levels. But I was looking at Stratified's website and it looks like I can get closer to 400 whp before they recommend I go for a built bottom end. However their "build path" portion of the site says I will need their AUX fuel kit to hit that number.

Now from previous builds/research I know that WMI can also be used to bump up power levels, and their customer service verified that WMI is also an option. However I'm wondering if one path is better than the other?

The only thing that comes to mind is that with WMI there is a separate tank you have to worry about keeping full whereas with the AUX fuel kit ... it's just an extra injector so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Anyone have experience with either (preferably both) method(s) of obtaining higher power. Will one be better for MPG? Will one make the power easier? Is the plumbing for one easier than the other? Just looking for pros and cons while I plan this build out.

Thank you in advance.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
My vote would be for the Stratified Aux Fuel System. It’s a clean, well thought out setup without the need to run fuel lines to a dedicated tank. Plumbing is simply tee-ing off the low pressure line to the HPFP. Stratified also has a lot of experience with the mk6 platform, so tuning it is seamless. The other benefit is cleaning the intake valves.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have used both back in the day. However today you can I believe buy larger injectors for that motor from Mabotech.

The downside of the 5th injector setup is uneven distribution and you are running a separate controller for the 5th injector. Both are points of possible failure.

Going with properly sized pumps and 4 direct inject injectors would be least problematic. Wi th WMI and the 5th you are running secondary fuel systems. Both can work quite well, my last build I used Aquamist running 100% Methanol and an HPA manifold with 1 jet per intake runner.

With E85 so plentiful I would go modified pumps and 4 large Mabotech injectors. Of course someone still has to tune it.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Just throwing this out there..... I'm pretty sure the Stratified Xtra Fuel system uses a boost-referenced Split Second Injector controller which can be configured/wired to run multiple injectors. You can spec the IE intake manifold to run a second set of injectors which would address the uneven distribution of a 5th injector in the charge pipe that GIAC mentioned. It might cost a little more but you get the performance of the larger manifold and even AFRs across all cylinders.

AutoXCivic

My vote would be for the Stratified Aux Fuel System. It’s a clean, well thought out setup without the need to run fuel lines to a dedicated tank. Plumbing is simply tee-ing off the low pressure line to the HPFP. Stratified also has a lot of experience with the mk6 platform, so tuning it is seamless. The other benefit is cleaning the intake valves.
I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

I have used both back in the day. However today you can I believe buy larger injectors for that motor from Mabotech.

The downside of the 5th injector setup is uneven distribution and you are running a separate controller for the 5th injector. Both are points of possible failure.

Going with properly sized pumps and 4 direct inject injectors would be least problematic. Wi th WMI and the 5th you are running secondary fuel systems. Both can work quite well, my last build I used Aquamist running 100% Methanol and an HPA manifold with 1 jet per intake runner.

With E85 so plentiful I would go modified pumps and 4 large Mabotech injectors. Of course someone still has to tune it.
Hmmm. I'll have to look into Mabotech and see if I can find some bigger injectors. Coming from the Honda world this was the first direction I went, but they were no easy to find.

Just throwing this out there..... I'm pretty sure the Stratified Xtra Fuel system uses a boost-referenced Split Second Injector controller which can be configured/wired to run multiple injectors. You can spec the IE intake manifold to run a second set of injectors which would address the uneven distribution of a 5th injector in the charge pipe that GIAC mentioned. It might cost a little more but you get the performance of the larger manifold and even AFRs across all cylinders.

Well I was trying to keep it simple ... but I guess I could go with a whole new intake.

May have to go back to the drawing board a bit.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

Hmmm. I'll have to look into Mabotech and see if I can find some bigger injectors. Coming from the Honda world this was the first direction I went, but they were no easy to find.

Well I was trying to keep it simple ... but I guess I could go with a whole new intake.

May have to go back to the drawing board a bit.
Given that your goal is 400whp I would argue for the larger injectors. The Mabotech injectors are the only solution I know of for this motor that will provide the fueling you need without going to an additional fueling system. Also your power goal (400whp) does not require the use of a modified intake manifold, the stock manifold flows fine for your needs. They cost around 1000 bux and will not provide you any real gains given your goals.

Running dual injectors/IE or HPA manifold is what I would do if I was going 500+ whp and had a built motor.

Keep in as simple as you can when it comes to fueling. Going with extra injectors and separate controller used to be the only choice if you were going to go past RS4 injectors.

There was a forum member that had a build the same as mine we were both running EFR 7163 turbos. I built mine with RS4 injectors and Aquamist spraying 100% methanol to get initial 480whp, I ended up selling the car without further development but it was capable of 500+ .. The other member kept his and eventually went with Mabotech injectors and ran 455whp on 93oct.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Given that your goal is 400whp I would argue for the larger injectors. The Mabotech injectors are the only solution I know of for this motor that will provide the fueling you need without going to an additional fueling system. Also your power goal (400whp) does not require the use of a modified intake manifold, the stock manifold flows fine for your needs. They cost around 1000 bux and will not provide you any real gains given your goals.

Running dual injectors/IE or HPA manifold is what I would do if I was going 500+ whp and had a built motor.

Keep in as simple as you can when it comes to fueling. Going with extra injectors and separate controller used to be the only choice if you were going to go past RS4 injectors.

There was a forum member that had a build the same as mine we were both running EFR 7163 turbos. I built mine with RS4 injectors and Aquamist spraying 100% methanol to get initial 480whp, I ended up selling the car without further development but it was capable of 500+ .. The other member kept his and eventually went with Mabotech injectors and ran 455whp on 93oct.
My concern would be maxing out the HPFP if you go the larger injectors route. At that point, I’d go Nostrum…but that comes at a significant cost more than an Aux Fuel system.

Keep in mind that OP is running a k04, so the additional fuel provided by a 5th injector is perfectly adequate to lower injector duty cycles. It’s a tried and true system.

beetlegreg

Ready to race!
just try to find someone to tune the mabo injectors. you can also use chevy lnf injectors and mk7r injectors, but again hard to find tune. if you have cobb support easy way is aux fuel with strat tune. you can use eurodyne with mk7r injectors but need to locate tuner first. you wont get 400 hp with a k04. your also going to need a lpfp upgrade

beetlegreg

Ready to race!
At your power levels no need for aux fuel or water meth unless your tune gives you 100 octane file then meth about 400 cc. You may need a low pressure pump upgrade ? Its 50-50 depends on your pump-some yes some no. If you buy a APR or IE tune then you have option for 91-93-100 files, then you can use meth injection to run better fuel file --MORE TQ ! Been down this road--K04 UNI tune, then K04X cts-with Strat pro tune on E30 with aux fuel you still wont get to 400HP ! My suggestion K04 with IE tune, with meth on 100 octane file IE gives you the option to tune at home and and DATA log with there dongle. Been there done this. Water meth has gone from easy to complicated PWM -pump-TO PWM fast solenoid. Aqua-mist still has the best system --BUT $1000 in USA

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My concern would be maxing out the HPFP if you go the larger injectors route. At that point, I’d go Nostrum…but that comes at a significant cost more than an Aux Fuel system.

Keep in mind that OP is running a k04, so the additional fuel provided by a 5th injector is perfectly adequate to lower injector duty cycles. It’s a tried and true system.

If OP plans on running a K04, he will run out of turbo before he runs out of hpfp. Not going to reach 400whp with a plain K04.

AutoXCivic

Probably going to be going with a Shuenk K04 or perhaps the K04-X from CTS. Judging by Stratified's website they should be good for close to 400 ... but realistically I'll probably keep it simple and not try to max out the block/internals. Just looking at what's possible.