GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Worn suspension help needed

CTMK6GTI

Hey guys, got a couple questions hoping to get some help/advice with. I have a ‘14 DSG GTI, bought literally 4 years ago on this very day with 40k miles (also my birthday as a 28th birthday gift to myself), and now today standing at 125k miles. They’ve been a great 85k miles and I’m hoping to get another 85k more, however I’m at a point the car is starting to need some attention as it just doesn’t handle like it used to. The thing I have noticed is my steering is getting sloppier, as in I really don’t have the sharp, precise feedback I once did, tramlining is more prevalent now (albeit I am on softer 235/45/17 snows for winter) and just overall feels more loose. The other much more noticeable issue is taking any kinds of turn with speed, I have a much greater amount of body roll (at 6’5” 265lbs, I can really feel myself leaning way more into turns), especially from what feels like the rear, like a heavy SUV leaning kind of feeling. This car used to stay flat and take fast turns with ease when it was younger, but the body roll is much more pronounced these past few months.

Now a major fault in all of this is that at 125k all of my suspension is completely stock still with the only exception being a set of low-buck JOM coilovers with well over 40k hard miles that are slated to be replaced very soon. Aside from that, completely OEM suspension and driveline, on a full-bolt on stage 2 car, with recent 034 Motorsport engine and trans street density mounts and their dogbone/pendulum mount and inserts. At this point, what should be replaced front and rear to bring back that tight handling again, and what could be upgraded to improve it even better than it was? This car is my daily-driven, year-round, through New England roads and winters, and spirited-weekend-drives vehicle, and has served me remarkably well, so I’d like to return the favor. This year is going to be all about the car, as it’s slated for a carbon cleaning, DSG flush, brake fluid exchange, all new filters, a thorough spring detail, paint correction and ceramic coating, new summer wheels and tires, coilovers, and then this suspension refresh; once I have a good idea of what to look at.

One other thing I wanted to ask; do wheel bearings on these cars play into handling woes as well, and should they be replaced on a “mileage-basis” or realistically only as needed upon signs of failure? I know they can be a common failure, and I haven’t noticed the usual bearing noises, although again that could be hidden by the louder snow tires currently on the car.

Thanks!

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I've owned my car new since July of 2010 and it was on the stock suspension, minus some stiffening mods like the UNIbrace trio and an RSB. Car still has just under 50K miles on it. I had my shop do a full suspension overhaul which wasn't cheap, but the handling is remarkable. You can see pretty much all the mods done to the car in my signature. As for wheel bearings, I had one start making noise a few years back and had it replaced. I had the other one replaced as the suspension and brakes done as a preventative measure. Sounds like you're giving your car a nice little refresh.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well, I went through the process with my MKV GTI and recently with my MK6 R.

If you put in fresh shocks, springs or decent coilovers that is a good start. Good tires and an alignment. And with your mileage, all the suspension bushings. Go OEM for mild or go for poly for a more responsive feel. And finally if you want to really reduce body roll go with aftermarket solid sway bars.

There are several choices for poly bushings but they are not very different in how they feel.

A number of the online stores have complete suspension bushing upgrade kits with all parts gathered for your basic suspension.

I would also replace ball joints, swaybar endlinks, front strut top mounts, rear top mounts, rear spring pads.

I did replace wheel bearings in my MKV just because it was going to be a dedicated track car. I did not replace them on my MK6 as they are fine and this is just a daily. Replacing all 4 is a bit expensive and does not need to be done until they fail really. Cost of proper quality bearings (4) is about 500.00 and they can be a bit of work to install.

Last edited:

CTMK6GTI

I've owned my car new since July of 2010 and it was on the stock suspension, minus some stiffening mods like the Unbrace trio and an RSB. Car still has just under 50K miles on it. I had my shop do a full suspension overhaul which wasn't cheap, but the handling is remarkable. You can see pretty much all the mods done to the car in my signature. As for wheel bearings, I had one start making noise a few years back and had it replaced. I had the other one replaced as the suspension and brakes done as a preventative measure. Sounds like you're giving your car a nice little refresh.
Wow, the mods in your signature made me blush. That is an extremely impressive build, and I can respect how much love (and money) you’ve invested into that car, must be an absolute blast. I just wish mine still had that kind of mileage haha.

Well, I went through the process with my MKV GTI and recently with my MK6 R.

If you put in fresh shocks, springs or decent coilovers that is a good start. Good tires and an alignment. And with your mileage, all the suspension bushings. Go OEM for mild or go for poly for a more responsive feel. And finally if you want to really reduce body roll go with aftermarket solid sway bars.

There are several choices for poly bushings but they are not very different in how they feel.

A number of the online stores have complete suspension bushing upgrade kits with all parts gathered for your basic suspension.

I would also replace ball joints, swaybar endlinks, front strut top mounts, rear top mounts, rear spring pads.

I did replace wheel bearings in my MKV just because it was going to be a dedicated track car. I did not replace them on my MK6 as they are fine and this is just a daily. Replacing all 4 is a bit expensive and does not need to be done until they fail really. Cost of proper quality bearings (4) is about 500.00 and they can be a bit of work to install.
Thank you for that; I was thinking about going with a poly bushing upgrade although have been a little weary as I don’t want any crazy squeaking as some are known to do. I’m definitely planning complete control arms with bushings, ball joints, end links and mounts. I’m also planning on ditching the worn old coilovers for some proper struts/shocks and lowering springs this time around with some quality mounts, I’m done with adjusting coilovers all the time lol. Also I plan on a solid rear sway bar and maybe a subframe stiffening kit to take up any slop that I’ve accrued and I’d love to do a hatch area unibrace eventually.

In the meantime I think I’ll hold off on bearings until I can give them a thorough checking as I go through the suspension refresh.