GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WRX

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
So my brother in law is in the market for a Subaru. He wants the AWD capability and doesn't want to pay much over $30 000 CDN (which leaves out the R). He was all set on the Impreza (base) 2012 and then he was introduced to a 2011 WRX on the lot - available at a discount.

His choices were a 2012 Impreza(auto fully loaded) or 2011 WRX (5 speed) at basically the same price.

So the mission was to convince my sister to go for the WRX! My brother and I test drove it first (without the salesmen)...

I have to say amazing torque and push out of first...amazing roar throughout the rep range BUT after test driving it - despite the higher horsepower I would stick with the GTI. Maybe it's just because I've become more refined in my 30's but my 6 speed manual is so much more smooth than the WRX and even the power distribution feels more stable in the GTI. The gear shifter vibrated in the WRX just like my 1997 Mustang GT's did.

I could go on about the interior finish (better in the GTI of course)...btw this was not meant to put down the WRX - it too is an amazing machine but after 18 mths of GTI ownership I am even more proud of my daily driver!!!

Thoughts?

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
You pretty much summed it up for me. I was about to get into a 2011 WRX Sedan but I couldn't stand the fit and finish. If Subaru could just step it up a little bit on the interior I would be on board. I've had the GTI for almost a year now and still have a smile planted on my face driving it around.

I have to say though, I'm interested where Subaru is going. If they turbo the BRZ I may either be having to find a way to afford a second car payment or jump over to that line. That thing looks awesome, hopefully the interior isn't forgotten. If it is then I'll be looking at an R or TT-RS in the future.

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Totally agree that the BRZ looks great! I think it will have a different feel to it - it's RWD for one.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
You pretty much summed it up for me. I was about to get into a 2011 WRX Sedan but I couldn't stand the fit and finish. If Subaru could just step it up a little bit on the interior I would be on board. I've had the GTI for almost a year now and still have a smile planted on my face driving it around.

I have to say though, I'm interested where Subaru is going. If they turbo the BRZ I may either be having to find a way to afford a second car payment or jump over to that line. That thing looks awesome, hopefully the interior isn't forgotten. If it is then I'll be looking at an R or TT-RS in the future.

Totally agree with both of you guys, and it's the same story for me...end of twenties though....

My best friend got the base WRX though, cheaper than my fully loaded GTI.
Sometimes, I like to get in his WRX. First, to drive stick again (got DSG), for the laggy power, and the 4wd into the snow ;-)

But god, I'm so happy to get in my GTI after that...it doesn't rattle, shake, and I'm so more comfortable.

And you know what, he has to shift perfectly to stay with the GTI, OK DSG + launch start....I'm cheating ;-)

dwong0721

Passed Driver's Ed
I had similar thoughts about the wrx (non sti) when I was cross shopping the gti. Pros for the Subaru were awd, significantly more stock power and acceleration, more cargo space, cheaper long term maintenance. Looked pretty good on paper until i got to see and drive in person. It's a whole different car with a much harsher and noisier ride, heavier clutch and noticeably rougher shifting. Plus I was not a fan of the looks of both the interior and exterior. All in all, got the sense right away that I would not be happy driving that car for the next few years, regardless of how much power it had. The gti seemed like a great compromise between sportiness and refinement whereas the wrx felt much more like a straight up race car.

The BRZ looks very interesting and in my opinion, very attractive except for the rear end. Wouldn't consider it for a daily driver though with the tiny cargo space and rwd in bad weather.

Last edited: