GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTS MK6 K04 vs MK7R TUNED

s0n1cm0nk3y1

Ready to race!
I'm a current k04 owner and am considering the swap to a mk7 R. Please tell me someone has a video between a tuned R and a k04.

Mbutler183

Ready to race!
Oh man the difference is huge, I'll see if i can find a video for you. A mk7 R stage 1 is giving a stage 3 mk6 R a run for its money.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I believe a tuned R is a 12 sec car just on a flash.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
There's a video on Youtube of a K04 MK6 GTI that runs away from a stock 7R on the highway pretty convincingly. From a dig, I think the 7R would smash a K04 GTI because of th AWD advantage.

I would switch to a 7R in a heartbeat if I could afford it. It's simply a nicer car all round with a metric ton's potential to be monster fast.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
I'll race my buddy once I go stage 1 and get a vid. I'm thinking I'll lose pretty badly actually.

s0n1cm0nk3y1

Ready to race!
I'm sorry but no. I'm a current 2016 R owner coming from a stage 2 apr mk6 GTI. My current car feels "slightly" faster than my stage 2 was. A k04 would crush me and would probably walk me at stage 1. To sonic though....it's a completely different car than your k04 and I'd recommend test driving the R.

Hopefully I'll be able to score a test drive soon. I've driven both a 2+ 6R and a K04 GTI and the GTI definitely felt like a more lively car. The 2+ R is a friends and I outrun him with my GTI from a roll. I'm hoping there is something about the 7R that makes the car more enjoyable to drive. The 7R platform seems a lot easier to upgrade (TSI, 4 bolt turbo manifold, etc). Though the k04 GTI is cheaper... and 2 door.... with me just having a kid its not as easy as a 4 door to put the kid in the back.

I'm all game for the idea of the R, I was want to make sure I'm not trading down in points.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I'm sorry but no. I'm a current 2016 R owner coming from a stage 2 apr mk6 GTI. My current car feels "slightly" faster than my stage 2 was. A k04 would crush me and would probably walk me at stage 1. To sonic though....it's a completely different car than your k04 and I'd recommend test driving the R.

You'd be surprised; I come from a 2011 MK6R (mods in sig), and I currently drive a 2015 MK7R running stage 1 OBD software from Drivermotorsport. The gains the MK7R gets just from software are phenomenal, much more bang for your buck than on the MK6. I dynoed 367bhp at the crank on an AWD dyno, with bone stock hardware. It might not be the case of US-spec Rs though since they do not benefit from multi-port injection.
On just stage 1 I run on par against an MK6R with full bolt-ons and a loba LO400 turbo upgrade. So would not be surprised to give a TSI KO4 a run for its money.
This is what a stock 7R does to a stage 1 6R (that even jump started)

To answer your question OP, the 7R is miles ahead the 6R in terms of driving dynamics, handling, acceleration and overall performance. I've had 3.5 years in the 6R and almost a full year on the 7R now so I know what I'm talking about.

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Roll racing: K04 GTI > MK7 R
Everything else: K04 GTI < MK7 R