GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I installed mine last night and can mirror what the previous poster said. It's fantastic compared to my RNS-315.

FWIW, the phone button on the steering wheel will switch the unit to the phone menu. And, I didn't think anything worked in the MFD, but when you're on a call the name of who you're talking to shows up there.

For $220, its one of the best electronics purchases I've ever made. I'm REALLY happy with it.

That's weird.. My phone button does nothing and there's nothing in the MFD..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Does it work with a reverse camera? I have gotten so used to my android unit and my spotify, pandora and toque apps, that it would be hard to go back to no apps....

Yes they say it works with the camera.. I picked up a camera that's integrated with the reverse light, but not sure how to wire it up.. That's my next project.. In terms of using Torque and radio apps, I picked up a Pro Clip and keep my phone just to the right of the radio.

yogma

So, to confirm, this $220 aliexpress version works w/ mk6 gti? There was an earlier message in this thread, pleading, "I just don't know why VW doesn't offer a software update to make CarPlay compatible with MK6 systems"

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Yes they say it works with the camera.. I picked up a camera that's integrated with the reverse light, but not sure how to wire it up.. That's my next project.. In terms of using Torque and radio apps, I picked up a Pro Clip and keep my phone just to the right of the radio.

I can help you with that if you would like, I wired an oem style pop up camera on my setup

jontalk

Ready to race!
Just installed this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262707429251?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Initial impressions:

Super pleased with this. I got the 'base' unit as I'm an android user and had no need for CarPlay

Totally plug and play. Literally took 10 minutes.

Pairs almost immediately to my Android (Pixel).

Worked out of the box with my aftermarket amps. No coding.

Works with Google Assist- I just press the on-screen voice button and can make calls via voice command.

Sound quality (to me) is very good.

The one thing I'm super pumped about is that the unit now stays on until the key is removed from the ignition which is great for shutting off the engine and maintaining a bluetooth connection..

I listen to most of my music from an SD card.. Browsing is way faster now..

Best 135.00 I've spent..

Steering wheel controls work except for the phone button- I wonder if the phone button can be remapped to activate voice commands..

Haven't messed with it a lot and will post more impressions and observations as they arise.

Very cool and appreciate the link. Do I assume your previous head unit was an RCD 510? As I said I drive a base Golf not a GTI so the head units are far different, no steering wheel controls either. Still wanting to know if the main plug on my Premium 7 is the same as the one used in this unit..Anybody know? I have the rear window antenna also so I'm going to assume that plug should be OK. Needless to say I have no interest in shipping a unit that doesn't plug in back to China! Thanks

TheCor

Ready to race!
So, to confirm, this $220 aliexpress version works w/ mk6 gti? There was an earlier message in this thread, pleading, "I just don't know why VW doesn't offer a software update to make CarPlay compatible with MK6 systems"

Yes, the $220 AliExpress product is what I installed in my 2013 US Market GTI (without Dynaudio) last night, works flawlessly, its a VW product.

TheCor

Ready to race!
Very cool and appreciate the link. Do I assume your previous head unit was an RCD 510? As I said I drive a base Golf not a GTI so the head units are far different, no steering wheel controls either. Still wanting to know if the main plug on my Premium 7 is the same as the one used in this unit..Anybody know? I have the rear window antenna also so I'm going to assume that plug should be OK. Needless to say I have no interest in shipping a unit that doesn't plug in back to China! Thanks

You should contact the seller on AliExpress, they should be able to answer that for you. They were responsive when I asked for tracking information to be updated. This replaced an RCD310 for me.

jontalk

Ready to race!
You should contact the seller on AliExpress, they should be able to answer that for you. They were responsive when I asked for tracking information to be updated. This replaced an RCD310 for me.

Thanks...I went to the Ebay link and sent them a message along with a photo of the rear of a Premium 7..What's odd is the compatibility chart which states VW Golf Mk VI, 2008/09. It seems it uses the same large plug with the red "10" thing whatever that is :) Curious what your previous head unit was and if this sounds better too

TheCor

Ready to race!
The red "thing" is a 10amp fuse. I had an RCD310, and this does seem to sound a little bit better. I'm not sure if this unit supplies more amps than my original or not.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I can help you with that if you would like, I wired an oem style pop up camera on my setup
Here's the camera I bought.. Not entirely sure how all this wires up or where the little RCA pigtail goes in the radio socket

Might take you up on your offer..

Thanks..

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Somebody get this to work with Dynaudio!!!

I wish this could support Dynaudio and OEM reverse camera!!!

I am with you guys on this. I actually bought this and found out the hard way it doesnt work.

The thing is these units are for the China/India/Russ market and these units are not sold with Fender/Dynaaudio from factory. So the firmware is what does not support the signals to the amps.

If (and hopefully when) VW starts shipping these units with Fender/Dynaaudio then we will be able to buy those and code them for Fender/Dynaaudio.

Until then the only other option is some sort of line level converter from the unit to the amp. But I do not have enough knowledge to do this stuff myself unfortunately.

I have been doing some digging and I found something that I think might work.

http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INSTVWTO-01_web.pdf

This should work if someone wants to give it a try.

Last edited:

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Here's the camera I bought.. Not entirely sure how all this wires up or where the little RCA pigtail goes in the radio socket

Might take you up on your offer..

Thanks..

The RCD Pigtail goes into the Quadlock from the car and then plugs into the radio. I forget which part but it is one of the bottom slots and will only fit in one of them.

The section it was suppose to go in for us was also used by the AUX Jack connector so we have to remove that and plug this one in since the unit has built in aux we did not need it anymore.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Somebody beat me to it, lol

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion