GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

TDIDrive

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed a difference between the Sony X performance and the HTC10 I'm using now if that matters much, not much inside apps but lag changing between music and maps usually - that isn't there on the HTC10. If you can borrow a friends Android (something nice like a pixel or galaxy s8) to rule it out that'd help.

Factory resetting and not relying on hybrid SD Card storage would probably make the world of difference to the responsiveness of Android Auto though.

On paper it's quite a fast phone, so not sure why it's so slow in normal use.

Yeah my mate has an S8 which i'm hoping to test at some point. My phone does need factory resetting i think... it's been awfully slow for a while now, constantly overheats.

TDIDrive

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it is your phone! What phone do you use for Carplay?

All the heavy lifting for Android Auto & Apple Carplay is done by your phone and just projected to the screen.

I used an iPhone 8. Hoping to use my mates S8 to test Android Auto to definitely pin it down to my phone, i'm pretty sure it is.

TDIDrive

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read that they are going to make Android Auto work over Bluetooth... Is this gonna apply to the RCD330 you reckon?

sorun343

i using mi max, the android auto pretty ok on response . Except waze freezes , any one know what to set for waze?

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Okay so after another few days of use the only bug on the 5314 that's super annoying is the fact Android Auto is muted completely if the reversing camera is used (sometimes).
If music is playing it seems to continue fine, if it's silent then I reverse and then try to use the voice control key or hey google hot words nothing happens, if I tap music and try to press play it just immediately goes to pause.
Only solution is holding power for ten seconds for a restart, restarting phone or reconnecting usb cable makes no difference.

andrewspearns

I just had this unit arrive from eBay, and used the firmware on here to update it with Android Auto. I did get a variant error and had to update to 5515 and then back to 5314.

Headunit on eBay

I clicked Buy It Now on Dec 24, and it was delivered on Jan 3. I did get a $19 fee at the door from UPS, but it was likely because it passed through Montreal on its way to Newfoundland, Canada. I seem to only ever get dinged when packages go through there.

I also ordered these two parts so that I can relocate the USB port to the row of buttons ahead of the shifter.

USB Cable

USB Button

When they arrive I'll post a photo to show which wires I ended up soldering to the headunit.

Last edited:

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Not going to try and sell another unit to buy a new one at this point. It's a lot of effort just hoping some upgraded firmware finally comes out for the 187B.

1616sixx

My 187B has arrived and I’m really happy with it, everything seems to work well!

Only annoying thing is it was advertised as being ready for reverse cameras & came with the AV lead but my screen doesn’t change when the car is in reverse (Just stays on whatever it was on) the volume just decreases.

I’m guessing it just isn’t enabled which is a pain as I don’t have VCDS and don’t know anyone here in the UK who has it!

therealmattryun

Right now I have a RCD330G Rev 187B. My unit came with software version 0317. Lately I've been having trouble with mine crashing when it boots into Carplay when the head unit is cold, and occasionally it will shut off altogether. From what I've read here, mine is based on Windows CE, and is not upgradable. I'm looking at two different revisions to replace my 187B, either the 187C or the 187E that has been linked here. Has anyone had issues with this new 187E? I read that this unit was "only for testing" but what does that mean in the long run? I'd rather buy the newest available right now so I can just leave it be in my car, but not at the expense of it being as buggy or buggier as the one I have now.
Here's the 187E I'm looking at:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...506462.html?shortkey=NFJjIfYB&addresstype=600

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Yeah probably isn't enabled on vcds else it would complain the video camera isn't ready if it wasn't plugged in.