GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

parteo

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like a big exhaust wheel for that compressor size.

GTX2976R SPECS
Inducer Exducer Trim A/R Inducer Exducer Trim
836041-5004S 836013-0004 58mm 76mm 58 0.60 57mm 54mm 90
Notes: Turbine Kit PN A/R Inlet Outlet Wastegate Divided Trim
Super Core and Turbine Kit Sold Separately 827690-0007 0.86 T25 5-Bolt Wastegated N 90

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
GTX2976R SPECS
Inducer Exducer Trim A/R Inducer Exducer Trim
836041-5004S 836013-0004 58mm 76mm 58 0.60 57mm 54mm 90
Notes: Turbine Kit PN A/R Inlet Outlet Wastegate Divided Trim
Super Core and Turbine Kit Sold Separately 827690-0007 0.86 T25 5-Bolt Wastegated N 90

I wonder if that .86 turbine housing is making that much of a difference? That turbo should have a WAY bigger powerband

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I wonder if that .86 turbine housing is making that much of a difference? That turbo should have a WAY bigger powerband

I was gonna chime in on that. I had very similar spool on a gtx3071r on a .86. Switched to the .64 and picked up nearly 1500rpm in spool.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I am fan of the .64 but always the main concern is the back pressure, exhaust heat and low power in the high end. This is what my mechanic always says.

That's a valid concern, but with an RPM limit that is effectively tied to the HPFP, there really is very little reason to go beyond a .64. If you are i'd hope you're utilizing a full auxillary fuel system as once the HPFP cam lobe starts floating, you're effectively out of fuel. Great way to kill an engine.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
I was gonna chime in on that. I had very similar spool on a gtx3071r on a .86. Switched to the .64 and picked up nearly 1500rpm in spool.

damn I wouldn't have thought it would have made that much of a difference. Good thing he didnt get the 1.01 housing they offer

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
I am fan of the .64 but always the main concern is the back pressure, exhaust heat and low power in the high end. This is what my mechanic always says.

That would make sense if the rest of the system supported the benefits of the larger housing like ERBALL said.

With that big housing its just leaving a bunch on the table. I bet with the smaller housing that turbo wouldnt sacrifice much if any spool.

With such a narrow power I imagine it sucks to drive on the street and outside of high gear highway pulls it would get its ass handed to it by a k04 car.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
That would make sense if the rest of the system supported the benefits of the larger housing like ERBALL said.

With that big housing its just leaving a bunch on the table. I bet with the smaller housing that turbo wouldnt sacrifice much if any spool.

With such a narrow power I imagine it sucks to drive on the street and outside of high gear highway pulls it would get its ass handed to it by a k04 car.

local friend has andres old gti (the one that did 599whp). It has a .86 housing on a gtx3076r. It's fucking terrible on the road. A standard prius is faster below 80mph.

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
The car is done. It is definitely faster then the the APR stage 3 kit I had. Getting performance tires installed on Monday and then I will dyno the car next week. My initial estimate is 400 WHP.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The car is done. It is definitely faster then the the APR stage 3 kit I had. Getting performance tires installed on Monday and then I will dyno the car next week. My initial estimate is 400 WHP.

Wait you got UM custom tuned just now?