GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

spitting oil thru exhaust.... dark colored smoke

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
so when i cold start the car, which has a 3 inch tbe, it spits a decent amount of oil out, enough to mark the parking stop. im also burning about a quart of oil a week, and on hard pulls or after getting off the highway the car throws some bluish sometimes almost black smoke, but that only happens once i punch the throttle or right after getting off the highway for a short amount of time... my spark plugs look fine as well, what can you guys think of this???

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
man sounds like oil is slipping past the rings in a big way.. either that or you have a leaking oil line into the turbo.. .or valves are not seating right..

can you put it up on a hoist? any oil under the car?

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
no oil whats so ever, i haven't had the car for more than 2 months, i did have a loose turbo line but i wasn't the one that fixed it so i couldn't tell you exactly where it was

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
no oil whats so ever, i haven't had the car for more than 2 months, i did have a loose turbo line but i wasn't the one that fixed it so i couldn't tell you exactly where it was
\

then I would start with that. If that was the last thing fixed and you are now encountering oil on your tail pipes...take it back and have them review the work completed. Hopefully it'll get resolved.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
not 100% sure however it's plausible given the engine design. if you've had the car a short time and unsure of the service records depending on the mileage it's a good maintenance item to check off the list.

Not sure however that it would give the amount of oil you see at your pipes though. I would really check that oil line.

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
so..... ive dug around and saw on the vwvortex forum to check the pcv by unplugging the dipstick and seeing if the smoke clears, which did reduce the smoke by a huge amount but still getting a bit of smoke after getting off the highway for about 2 lights after getting off.... hopefully when I replace the PCV it solves my problem completely so I can save money for some more upgrades

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
So...what happened next?

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
STILL having the issue with smoke..... waiting on my buddy for a compression test to see if it may be bad valve seals, also going to pressurize the coolant system to try and rule out the head..... still stumped

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I am also burning oil at 144K miles. I believe it is valve stem seals as the car smokes after idling for 5-10 minutes after a cold start. While driving, it will only let out a puff of smoke if I coast in gear under vacuum for awhile and then punch it.

My K04 only has about 15-20K miles on it so I doubt it's the turbo seals. My compression was good while I did a warm test and very low leakage when I did a leakdown test so I think pistons/rings are okay. I had my intake manifold off less than 1,000 miles after carbon cleaning and the valves were covered again with wet carbon/oil. It looked like it was coming down the intake valve stems. I'm going to replace the stem seals when I replace my timing chains/guides/tensioners in the next few months. Hoping that fixes my consumption. If not, I will either rebuild or swap in another TSI engine and keep on driving.

Last edited: