GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
so the ones you mentioned above, as well as the axle bolts is all they'll need then? (if they remove the axle)... or just mention to them to change only the one-time use bolts?

that hardware kit you posted is a bit pricey... I think it's around $50... the only bolts that Bud mentioned in the "ask a VW parts guy" thread said to replace were the axle bolts, and that's if they remove the axle...

If the dealer is doing it...they'll remove the axle bolts

And you definitely should replace the strut pinch bolt & the rear lower control arm bolts.

They're only like $2-3 each or something anyways....costing maybe $10-12 for all 4 bolts + the cost of the axle bolts

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I am afraid that with a couple hundred more miles, they will settle another 1/4 inch which would put me at that height of eibach pro-kit, if I wanted a pro-kit thats what I would have bought.

Wow....I envy your setup actually. Your car looks perfect man!
I prefer the lower look in the front.

A couple things to point out...these springs won't really settle much. They're linear.
Progressive springs will settle though because they're softer with the dead coils and all.

Also...I don't get why you'd be paranoid. The Pro-Kits do give a big drop (but look nice).....BUT (ideally) you need after market dampers with them.
With the DG springs....you don't. They pair up with the stock dampers perfectly.
Also you get a better ride with the DG springs too.

Did you get an alignment yet?
That WILL affect your drop height as well. You need to find a reputable shop that'll get it correctly into spec. I had my dealer do it and the guy knew what he was doing (has a slammed MK5 Rabbit) and shifted the subframe to get it into spec. That also made my drop (and camber) almost perfectly even on both sides.
Before the alignment, my driver's side sat a little higher than the passenger side!

You'll be fine

eevolution3

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

Im from Malaysia and this thread's got me super interested in these set of DGs.

Can anyone help to verify the total weight (of the springs) and dimensions of the packaging that the springs came in? Im thinking of importing them in and would like to check the charges for freight.

My GTI is equipped with DCC but heck it shud work fine wit it..Just wanna lower it a tad coz wit my BBS 19s it looks like a mini SUV..haha..:laugh:

Hope to get some help from the bros here..cheers

dmichael

Ready to race!
Did you get an alignment yet?

Before the alignment, my driver's side sat a little higher than the passenger side!

I did get an alignment day of install, and every parameter was almost dead center after some adjusting.

I always thought drivers side was suppose to sit slightly higher with no driver, then when you add driver weight, it normalizes.

I guess I am overreacting, I just didn't think I would get nearly 1.5" drop, which is what it is on the front, only .75" in rear. I suppose if I used the DSG versions, the drop would be very slightly less on front.

I just ordered the strut spreader bit from metalnerd.com, this $15 tool probably would have saved me close to an hour in labor cost.

More pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 284

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
^^^^^ Very nice, closed the gap up front, looks good.

ksing44

Ready to race!
^^Wow!!! I agree it looks great! You are not going to get any sympathy with photos like that. It looks pretty symmetrical to me and the drop looks significant for the DG springs. I hear what you are saying about it being 25" front and 25.5" rear, but man oh man it looks darn good in the photos.

michal

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2-door DSG GTI. I am going to order the DG springs for the 2-door manual GTI. I think it will sit a little lower than if I use the springs for DSG one. The DSG weighs 24.4 lbs more then the manual. Do you this will work?

isons429

Ready to race!
My only concern is their fitment with the 2.5L Golf.

-I know these are safe with the stock GTI struts but what about us 2.5'ers?

-And I keep reading how TDIs have a "sport suspension" as well but the vw site says otherwise....states that the 2.5 and tdi have the same struts.

I have this exact same question, as I have a 4 door 2010 2.5 and REALLY want these springs. In the first page, the parts numbers don't indicate which springs to order for a 4 door 2.5. I also just put on my 18" OZ Ultraleggera's and the gap is making me want these even more. Any ideas?:iono:

shatooi

Ready to race!
I have a 2-door DSG GTI. I am going to order the DG springs for the 2-door manual GTI. I think it will sit a little lower than if I use the springs for DSG one. The DSG weighs 24.4 lbs more then the manual. Do you this will work?

I have a 2 door DSG as well and bought the ones for the DSG. I'm having them installed Thursday so I'll let you know how the turn out. Pray for no front rake!

EvilBoffin

Passed Driver's Ed
Michal & Shatooi -

PLEASE keep us updated when you've got them installed!!

I'm another 2dr DSG guy, and really want to hear about your results with the DSG and Manual DG springs. Before & after measurements - and PICS will be most appreciated. :w00t:

I have a new set of Koni Yellows sitting at the house just waiting for the right springs to go with them. It's down to the DG's right now - just have to choose the right version...

Thanks guys.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I did get an alignment day of install, and every parameter was almost dead center after some adjusting.

I always thought drivers side was suppose to sit slightly higher with no driver, then when you add driver weight, it normalizes.

I guess I am overreacting, I just didn't think I would get nearly 1.5" drop, which is what it is on the front, only .75" in rear. I suppose if I used the DSG versions, the drop would be very slightly less on front.

I just ordered the strut spreader bit from metalnerd.com, this $15 tool probably would have saved me close to an hour in labor cost.

More pics:

You should've waited to do the alignment, IMO...like at least 100 miles or so...ideally like 500 so everything can settle

Regardless, your drop looks good.

You gotta remember (I started this thread), and I posted it before, that the manual transmissions seem to sit lower than the DSG's from the factory
So if you throw on a lowering spring that lowers it the same amount on both cars....the manual is gonna be lower obviously since it started lower

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

I don't think your reverse thinking will work

They drop the same amount...the springs rates are just different to compensate for the different weights

The difference in drop heights, like I just posted, is because the manual transmission cars sit lower from the factory