GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coding issue with VCDS

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Quick question. VCDS noob here, trying to code out the bulb error for my LED rear tails with vagcom. Going to byte 18, I've seen multiple videos on what people change byte 18 to. Plac's video he changes it from 20 to 21, another video on youtube they changed it from 00 to 15. My Byte 18 is 03--how do I know what to change it to?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I would try 21 and see if that works, if not then try 15, if that doesn't work change it back to 03 and see if you can find anything else to try.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Ok wasnt sure if I could do a little trial and error on this. If it doesn't work will it not accept the code?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Ok wasnt sure if I could do a little trial and error on this. If it doesn't work will it not accept the code?

It'll accept it no matter what, so you'll have to try the code and see if it fixed it. You can trial and error, just make sure you always remember what the original code was supposed to be. I usually copy the long code into notepad or something like that.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Awesome thanks

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Success! 21 worked.

But now VCDS won't clear my DTCs. I go to clear all DTCs, start up the car, engine light is still there, freeze frame (mileage/date) are all the same (they aren't just reappearing).

What am I doing wrong here?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Success! 21 worked.

But now VCDS won't clear my DTCs. I go to clear all DTCs, start up the car, engine light is still there, freeze frame (mileage/date) are all the same (they aren't just reappearing).

What am I doing wrong here?

the clear all dtc function doesn't work on all cars for some reason. Go into the engine module > fault codes and clear the codes from there and that should work.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
the clear all dtc function doesn't work on all cars for some reason. Go into the engine module > fault codes and clear the codes from there and that should work.

Perfect, that worked. Thanks!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
EDIT: I now see you already got it sorted..

The coding with byte 18 is mostly trial and error, this may help,

I also have a longer list but it takes a bit of deciphering! It’s a 4 page PDF which I found quite some time ago online but can’t remember the source! Here’s a screen shot as an example as I have no idea how I’d get the document from iBooks to here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The prefixes suggest manufacturer, such as AUDI SEAT VW SKODA, I’m pretty confident only those prefixed VW360 apply to the GTI/GOLF.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Wow that's awesome info, thanks!

I guess since we're on a roll here, I am also having an issue clearing an airbag light. I pulled the seat out and unfortunately had to reconnect the battery with the seat out. Going into the control module doesn't fix it--codes keep coming back. Any ideas here? I checked the wiring and everything is fine.

Attachments

• Log-3AVMB5-69931.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 134

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Check that the plug is properly connected! Then try to clear the code again. Make sure none of the pins have pushed themselves out when you reconnected.