GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

engine durability

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Power with FWD car is a bitch. It's great that fortunately torque steer does not find us. I'm stage one and have trouble not spinning the tires around an easily manageable corner. I'm not saying I have the power that some of these K04, and Stage 3 guys have, but it goes to show how quickly you run upon the wall that is the FWD limit.

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
Maybe just a stage 1 tune. Possibly stage 2. If I can get 250-260 whp safely then I would be happy. when my funds increase and the warranty is up more will come.

check out my sig...

youll be fine my car hasnt given me any problems at all. Just have extra Red top coils in the trunk lol

Bender1

Banned
Maybe just a stage 1 tune. Possibly stage 2. If I can get 250-260 whp safely then I would be happy. when my funds increase and the warranty is up more will come.

Stage 2 - I will be at 90,000 miles in the next 5 days. No issues.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I find the engine to be pretty durable. Common issues are the waterpump, intake manifold and coilpacks...which will fail regardless of anything you do to the car. Fuel injectors and kind of common to fail, but it seems to be hit or miss. Less common, but still happen are high pressure fuel pumps. Even less common are the timing chain tensioner which is catastrophic.

I've been stage 2 since 3000 miles, and k04 since 27000 and am now at 59000. I've had the water pump and intake manifold replaced under warranty. I'm not nice to the car and it sees WOT pulls multiple times a day and the limiter almost daily. It'll hold up to a lot of abuse, for a long time. Just make sure you maintain it properly!

Bender1

Banned
Power with FWD car with shitty tires is a bitch. It's great that fortunately torque steer does not find us. I'm stage one and have trouble not spinning the tires around an easily manageable corner. I'm not saying I have the power that some of these K04, and Stage 3 guys have, but it goes to show how quickly you run upon the wall when you don't have appropriate tires.

FTFY

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
I find the engine to be pretty durable. Common issues are the waterpump, intake manifold and coilpacks...which will fail regardless of anything you do to the car. Fuel injectors and kind of common to fail, but it seems to be hit or miss. Less common, but still happen are high pressure fuel pumps. Even less common are the timing chain tensioner which is catastrophic.

I've been stage 2 since 3000 miles, and k04 since 27000 and am now at 59000. I've had the water pump and intake manifold replaced under warranty. I'm not nice to the car and it sees WOT pulls multiple times a day and the limiter almost daily. It'll hold up to a lot of abuse, for a long time. Just make sure you maintain it properly!

Your warranty stayed with a k04 swap?! I figured it'd be out of the question if I went that far!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Irregardless is not a word.

Boom, roasted.

Sorry but...lol I had to point that out

I would summarize it this way. The motor is fundamentally very strong and takes power very well as others have said. But regardless of the power added, there are some weak points that fail intermittently. The water pump, intake manifold flappers, coil packs and the timing chain tensioner tend to fail. Only the last is catastrophic. The others require immediate attention but are $250, $250 and $80 to replace, respectively (and without installation, if that's your thing).

Eat me