GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check engine light vs. dealer

antzz

1 year into driving, the indicator light went on, according to the manual it's the catalytic converter. The drive feels normal, nothing seem to be different from mileage, temperatures, sounds or what not.

I'm booking time with the dealership to get it checked. Before I get there...I wanted to know tho, do they normally charge to just look at the issue?

The adviser I talked to just said the indicator light is not covered by warranty but didn't give me a cost =/ So I'm emailing another dealership too at the same time. (I'm posting here cuz probably different country's dealers are different, or even by location, what's ur experience?)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
WTF doesn't your car have a warranty? Everything should be covered until you hit 36k and until 60k when it comes to engine/transmission

antzz

I was surprised too when i heard it so I'm trying to contact another dealer to find out.

For a sec I did get an impression of "fixing is free under warranty but checking is not" which is meh...

McQueen77

Banned
Complete and utter bullshit. 100% covered under warranty, inspection and repair

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Complete and utter bullshit. 100% covered under warranty, inspection and repair

I just realized OP is in Canada... that may be an issue.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Should be 100% covered under warranty. What dealsership is this? Don't pay a cent.

but...do you have a tune and/or aftermarket downpipe?

antzz

Car's stock everything except snow tires
I'm even still procrastinating on the windows tint =p

Thanks all! I'll run in after work today, good to know what to expect ahead of time.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Cats, exhaust, o2 sensors.

All covered for 8 years/80k miles per the US Government.

antzz

I ended up just driving to a dealership nearby and the guy was like it's likely just a sensor thing and it might not be an actual problem, but drop the car off for a scan.
So I made the appointment and now dropped off the car waiting for results.

When I got back, here's another dealer responding to an email query I sent them...wow. Looking up google it actually seems like the "diagnostic" is common for most dealers. So I guess it is actually a legit charge then? (but still the warranty should cover, but fuzzy) and I don't feel good about it -_-"

Hi,

In response to your email request regarding the catalytic converter light and the engine light showing up, it would be best if you were to bring in your 2011 GTI so we can do a full diagnostic and determine why these lights are on.

Diagnostic fee will be $105.00+tax/hr

Thank you,

Service Department

Last edited:

fredf

Go Kart Champion
That sounds dead wrong. The whole purpose of a warranty is to avoid this.

Perhaps you weren't clear in your email that the car is still under warranty.

I haven't had this issue but I'm sure if I called my dealer and told them, it would not be an issue.

And afretes, above, IS a dealer so he should know.

I would be tempted to call VoC about this or at least ask to speak to the Service Manager.

antzz

Right. Anyways, I just got an update, the issue is something with the manifold and they need to take off a part (didn't quite catch which part) to get to the sensor.

Kinda worried, but will update you guys if anyone's interested. (also re: whether they end up charging me any diagnostic fee even tho the last time I spoke with the adviser, she said they won't, unless I physically damaged the engine.)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Ok, that's the super common manifold issue... you'll prob new a whole new manifold.