GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadians pay so much more...

Mudkicker

Ready to race!
I was reading some posts regarding GTI prices in the U.S. and boy do we ever get screwed here.
I bought my 2011 GTI in Jan 2011.

4 door
17" Denver
Jacky Cloth
No Roof
No Navi
Dealer Tint
Winter Mats
Winter Tires

When all was said and done, after all fees and taxes it came out to
$35 096.80

In the U.S. you can get the FULLY loaded GTI for that price!
Seriously :thumbdown:

PS. when i was buying, they priced the fully loaded version, with every option and it came out to close to $42 000...for a Golf. Imagine!

rc0224

Ready to race!
yup thats another reason why i chose 2.5L over GTI cuz thats all i offer back then....

Highgate Golfer

Ready to race!
Well if by "pricing" you mean just running the numbers at full list, then ya that's alot. There is a thread on Dec. VW rates and offers that shows $3000 in dealer/manufacturer rebates on 2011 MY, as well as the fact there is ~2500 difference between list and invoice price. Go to unhaggle.com, they provide free invoice reports now so you can see the numbers yourself.

And don't pay a cent of there dealer fees, bullsh** like nitrogen in your tires, security etching and wheel locks. Wtf, wheel locks are standard equipment in the brochure. Just flat out refuse to pay anything but the admin fee (pure profit fee) if they really aren't budging.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
I got my 2011 GTI with DSG, Sunroof and 18" wheel option for $33800+ HST.

I did the math, and while the US pricing is lower, the Canadian interest rate made the difference a wash since buying in the USA I would have to self-finance using my LoC @ 6.75% :(

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Just a note:
...climate control
...4 year warranty vs 3 year in U.S.

plus:
... health care
... cheaper tuition
etc

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
You probably make more money at your job than a like job in the US. It all balances itself out for the most part.

antzz

I got my 2011 GTI with DSG, Sunroof and 18" wheel option for $33800+ HST.

I did the math, and while the US pricing is lower, the Canadian interest rate made the difference a wash since buying in the USA I would have to self-finance using my LoC @ 6.75% :(

I got mine for a bit more $, did u get 3dr or 5?

Btw, a bit off topic, i went into a showroom at Villa yesterday, they have the 3dr leather & wheel option CW for 29,990+tx, if anyone care. It's 2011 model with 2012 wheels and it's a cash only clearance when i talked to a sales.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
I got mine for a bit more $, did u get 3dr or 5?

Btw, a bit off topic, i went into a showroom at Villa yesterday, they have the 3dr leather & wheel option CW for 29,990+tx, if anyone care. It's 2011 model with 2012 wheels and it's a cash only clearance when i talked to a sales.
5 door.

plat

Ready to race!
The primary reason why GTI's are more expensive here is that Canada's automobile market is but a tiny fraction of the US. Can't compare, the US have mroe buying power (i.e. higher volume, lower price). Another reason for the higher price tag is that every Canadian bound GTI or any vehicle has to comply with Transport Canada standards. So, that extra requirement adds to the overall cost of building GTI's for Canada plus it almost requires its own production run. If the US and Canada share the same vehicle standards, I bet this would bring the price of Canadian-bound vehicles down to US levels.

Last edited:

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Canada and the US harmonized the majority standards back when the Auto Pact came into force. DRL is still not required in the US, however, many US cars come with them anyways. The only exceptions was the immobilizer standard, however, TC changed the regulations in 2007 to state that if a car meets US regs then it meets Canadian regs.

The Can-US price difference is simply profit taking on VoC's part.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Its just cuz our currency went down the shitter, once you adjust to where the worthless canadian dollar is supposed to be... you'll be at our prices :laugh:

zee

Go Kart Champion
The primary reason why GTI's are more expensive here is that Canada's automobile market is but a tiny fraction of the US. Can't compare, the US have mroe buying power (i.e. higher volume, lower price). Another reason for the higher price tag is that every Canadian bound GTI or any vehicle has to comply with Transport Canada standards. So, that extra requirement adds to the overall cost of building GTI's for Canada plus it almost requires its own production run. If the US and Canada share the same vehicle standards, I bet this would bring the price of Canadian-bound vehicles down to US levels.

Couldn't have said it better.

VWoA negotiated that price for America based on a lot of factors including the above. The volume of VWs thay move could have made up for the difference in price. Even GTIs sold in California alone outsells the whole of Canada so I doubt VWoC is to blame, but I'd llike a cheaper German made GTI.

People seem to forget the USA also has the cheapest cost of GTIs worldwide using a conversion to Euro. Luckily, Canada & Mexico are close behind. The base zero-optioned GTI build and sold in Germany still costs more than our fully loaded cars.

Its just cuz our currency went down the shitter, once you adjust to where the worthless canadian dollar is supposed to be... you'll be at our prices :laugh:

:D

AusGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was reading some posts regarding GTI prices in the U.S. and boy do we ever get screwed here.
I bought my 2011 GTI in Jan 2011.

4 door
17" Denver
Jacky Cloth
No Roof
No Navi
Dealer Tint
Winter Mats
Winter Tires

When all was said and done, after all fees and taxes it came out to
$35 096.80

In the U.S. you can get the FULLY loaded GTI for that price!
Seriously :thumbdown:

PS. when i was buying, they priced the fully loaded version, with every option and it came out to close to $42 000...for a Golf. Imagine!

US is high volume compared with Canada,

I know its all relative, however consider the Canadian and Australian are markets are about the same volume, and the Dollar is about par,

$42000 for a Golf in Australia will get you a comfortline 118 TSI - 1.4 Twincharger motor - with DSG, roof and leather

45k will get a base GTI

55k is a fully loaded GTI - Including things like Park Assist, Adaptive Chassis Control

Want a fully loaded Golf R - your approaching $70k - for a golf!!!

Suddenly 45ish for a R isnt looking too bad from my perspective!

Not having a go at anyone, but, coming from the other side of the world, and owning a GTI in both countries, it nice not to have your eyes water at the bottom line!

AusGTI

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
US is high volume compared with Canada,

I know its all relative, however consider the Canadian and Australian are markets are about the same volume, and the Dollar is about par,

$42000 for a Golf in Australia will get you a comfortline 118 TSI - 1.4 Twincharger motor - with DSG, roof and leather

45k will get a base GTI

55k is a fully loaded GTI - Including things like Park Assist, Adaptive Chassis Control

Want a fully loaded Golf R - your approaching $70k - for a golf!!!

Suddenly 45ish for a R isnt looking too bad from my perspective!

Not having a go at anyone, but, coming from the other side of the world, and owning a GTI in both countries, it nice not to have your eyes water at the bottom line!

AusGTI

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204621904577016172350869312.html

You guys make 200k a year at age 25 while working at a mine. :laugh: 70k for a GOLF R is chump change.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/golf/Pricing.html

That said a golf R... is starts at 55k

The whole currency conversion playing against the US dollar once again.

AusGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204621904577016172350869312.html

You guys make 200k a year at age 25 while working at a mine. :laugh: 70k for a GOLF R is chump change.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/golf/Pricing.html

That said a golf R... is starts at 55k

The whole currency conversion playing against the US dollar once again.

99% of the population don't work down a mine, the median household income is around 66k a year.....

55k for a R plus around 5k for On road Costs, then all the options - leather which is a 3300 standalone option!

Not looking to get into a stink, just nice to come to move to somewhere we pay a lot less for the same product :), now only if insurance was cheaper...

Oh and that "Chevy" Ute, is actually a Holden, Blasphemy I tell you