GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Price vs. Performance: What do you choose?

Which Do YOU Prefer?

• Mediocre Performance (Lower Quality/Undetermined Reliability) but Priced Lower?

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Higher Performance (Better Quality/Reliability) Product but Priced Higher?

Votes: 105 90.5%

• Total voters

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
In what field? VW Aftermarket or beyond?

any field? business? pretty much anything?? this should be pretty.. obvious, Z.

I'm sure a few of you know where I stand on this. I'm big on quality, and that's evident in almost everything that I buy. Shoes, cars, appliances, car parts, food, etc. I am also a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" because it's proven time and time again to be the truth. If I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna do it right the first time so I never have to look back at it and wonder why I didn't wait a little longer and get what I really wanted, and what I really knew would work best for ME. Some people are okay with "average" quality because they like the "average" price. They're getting what they pay for, and that's all they need. It's all based around value. I want the best of the best because the best of the best is gonna give me the quality and value and comfort that I will be satisfied with.

If I go "average" just to save a few bucks, I'm always gonna look at what I really wanted and wonder why I couldn't have waited just a little longer. I'm never gonna look at something of lesser quality/value and wonder why I didn't decide to save a few bucks and go with something I knew I wasn't gonna be completely happy with.

And quality goes past just the product. The quality of service from the company matters too. The whole "snake-like" attitude that comes from some companies is a HUGE turn off for me from their product, and their company in general. You have to sell yourself *alongside* your product. If you have to speak for your own product by doing massive amounts of giveaways and never throwing yourself up against your competition, then that's not attractive to me. I want something that will speak for itself and have the company back it up WHEN NECESSARY.

To me, the price should reflect the quality of the product AND the quality of the company that sells/produces the product. THAT is real quality.

And this is all going past just aftermarket VW product, of course. I apply this with anything.
Kinda makes me wonder why I'm still with AT&T :thumbdown:

TL;DR ;)

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
i'm not one to shy away from lesser known brands as long as the quality is decent.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
To me, the price should reflect the quality of the product AND the quality of the company that sells/produces the product. THAT is real quality.

And this is all going past just aftermarket VW product, of course. I apply this with anything.
Kinda makes me wonder why I'm still with AT&T :thumbdown:

Yeah another good example. AT&T has some of the highest pricing and yet also the worst customer satisfaction ratings in the industry. They're just the big brand name obvious choice of most people who presume you're "getting what you pay for" over a cheaper service(that's actually better).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I should start a poll:

Do you prefer to save money by buying shit products, or do you spend the absolute most on a product to get the absolute best quality, while spending a fortune in the process?

too many gray areas..... variables, new companies can have a new product that is great - very high quality, etc., but will be priced lower than existing competition - does that mean it is automatically not as good?

C4L

Banned
Loaded question. Loaded Answer

Quality in business, engineering and manufacturing has a pragmatic interpretation as the non-inferiority or superiority of something; it is also defined as fitness for purpose. Quality is a perceptual, conditional and somewhat subjective attribute and may be understood differently by different people. Consumers may focus on the specification quality of a product/service, or how it compares to competitors in the marketplace. Producers might measure the conformance quality, or degree to which the product/service was produced correctly. Support personnel may measure quality in the degree that a product is reliable, maintainable, or sustainable.
There are five aspects of quality in a business context:
Producing - providing something.
Checking - confirming that something has been done correctly.
Quality Control - controlling a process to ensure that the outcomes are predictable.
Quality Management – directing an organisation so that it optimises its performance through analysis and improvement.
Quality Assurance – obtaining confidence that a product or service will be satisfactory. (Normally performed by a purchaser)
Quality applied in these forms was mainly developed by the procurement directorates of NASA, the military and nuclear industries from the 1960's and this is why so much emphasis was placed on Quality Assurance. The original versions of Quality Management System Standards (eventually merged to ISO 9001) were designed to contract manufacturers to produce better products, consistently and were focussed on Producing, Checking and Quality Control.
The subsequent move of the Quality sector towards management systems can be clearly seen by the aggregation of the product quality requirements into one eighth of the current version of ISO 9001. This increased focus on Quality Management has promoted a general perception that quality is about procedures and documentation. Similar experiences can be seen in the areas of Safety Management Systems and Environmental Management Systems.
The emergence of tools like Asset Optimisation and 6 sigma is an interesting development in the application of quality principles in business.
Managing quality is fundamental to any activity and having a clear understanding of the five aspects, measuring performance and taking action to improve is essential to an organisations survival and growth

My point is that there is no 'TRUE' meaning to the word 'Quality' as it varies for every individual. Reliability is rarely a consideration when looking at quality to me. I differentiate the two and use them to represent two different things. Total or Overall Product Quality would include reliability, but not be dependent upon.

For me, from the consumer standpoint and not manufacturing standpoint (like most);

Quality = materials, build, fit&finish, performance, aesthetics, etc. Things you can perceive or be utilized or realized. How 'good' it is.

Reliability/Durability = longevity Simply how longs it lasts.

So in that case an example might be;
Which is higher Quality, Bentley or Scion?
Which is higher Reliability, Bentley or Scion?

I am sure you have used the expression "that is a quality X" (tv, shirt, shoe, speaker, watch, etc.) without even considering (or knowing) its reliability/durability.

Bender1

Banned
Yeah another good example. AT&T has some of the highest pricing and yet also the worst customer satisfaction ratings in the industry. They're just the big brand name obvious choice of most people who presume you're "getting what you pay for" over a cheaper service(that's actually better).

In the business world - organizational size can be used to drive quality UP and price DOWN with effective management OR with ineffective management will ALWAYS result in lower quality at higher prices (think 1990s Honda v 1990s GM).

Period.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
any field? business? pretty much anything?? this should be pretty.. obvious, Z.

This is more conditional than anything else. Outsourcing, Cost improvements (Value Added Projects), Continuing quality advancement...etc. can all impact these depending on what the company views as "Quality"

I DO agree that high priced items does not always equal quality. But I KNOW that quality does come with a price tag.

I mean, damn, I work in Quality for a economy level car company. Obviously, its not about price.....but many many other things that have been mentioned here.

IE:
Reliability
Perceived Value
"Bang for the Buck"
Customer Service
Maintenance
etc. etc. etc.

I agree with C4L that there is a level of grey area and subjectivity to it.....but doing what I do, I can easily look at construction changes and know how well their process and end consumer representation will be due to it.

Why does Mercedes have SO many damn problems? Having worked for them I can name about 100 reasons why and none of it has to deal with the actual materials they use. Well, maybe 1 or two.

Strangely enough....you are not considered a QUALITY company unless oyu have a ISO-9001 certification and have been audited. I'm lead auditor trained and have my certification so I kind of feel I know what I'm looking for in a quality company.

C4L

Banned
I should start a poll:

Do you prefer to save money by buying shit products, or do you spend the absolute most on a product to get the absolute best quality, while spending a fortune in the process?

too many gray areas..... variables, new companies can have a new product that is great - very high quality, etc., but will be priced lower than existing competition - does that mean it is automatically not as good?

It also depends how and where it is sold/marketed/advertised.

I have found plenty of very high quality products from companies that sell directly from the manufacture and don't market/advertise. These costs are passed on to consumers. and the price directly reflects them, even if the quality of the product is unchanged.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I voted price bc that should be the majority vote on there. No one goes into a mod without looking at the price. If you want to buy an IC, and the cost is 1k, you'll reconsider that. You want to solidify your subframe, and bam, $200 for collars & bolts...

Everything has a value to it. That being said, Even though I voted for price, that doesn't mean I have chosen the cheapest parts at all on my car. I would rather invest in used parts if possible. If something is expensive, and I can justify the cost given the value of it (to me), then I'll save...

You own a Higher Trim Level Volkswagen, does that matter?
To me, yes. I want to use as as close to or better than OEM quality.

Do you like sticking with just one company?
No. VW doesn't either. If you subtract price from the equation, I would have no problem buying everything through APR. You add in the premium for that name, and I will value shop for what I think gets me the best bang for the buck (given a certain quality).

Do you look for data?
When available and when I can understand it, yes. I work for a data company. I am b4lls deep in data everyday, all day. I prefer it.

Do you care about other member reviews?
Absolutely. I think most people on here do. Everyone wants to make an informed decision or feel like they are. The problem is that most reviews are subjective (this is where data comes in handy).

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I believe in maximizing performance to price ratio, while getting up to at least a minimum performance level (which for me is usually very high).

I obviously look for data (being an automotive engineer with a mathematics background who grew up on race tracks...), but in the VW scene there is almost no data available for any handling or braking upgrades. The only things we have any real data on are power upgrades and even that is somewhat scarce.

That is why I stopped at Stage 1 + Wheels/Tires + brake pads. At roughly $2k total in mods I was already smoking the competition in my time trial class. Getting fast enough to move up to the next class would have cost me a LOT of money ($10k roughly) and the FWD platform just wasn't enough fun to drive to justify that kind of expense. Enter the S4.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I agree. I have typically found this in the 'upper-middle' segment of any market.

Yes, it seams that the sweet spot on the quality for price graph curves would intersect somewhere in the upper 3/4 mark.

It's important to do a little research (so easy to do with this here internet thing) to find that mark.

C4L

Banned
Strangely enough....you are not considered a QUALITY company unless oyu have a ISO-9001 certification and have been audited. I'm lead auditor trained and have my certification so I kind of feel I know what I'm looking for in a quality company.

This from a manufacturing standpoint, not the consumer standpoint. Unfortunately, consumers can't see quality in the way you can because they aren't involved in the R&D and assembly of the product like you are.

Quality in the consumer marketplace is perceived simply because that is all consumers have to go by. And because all people have different perceptions, the views on 'quality' can vary drastically.

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
Compromise. Do you want to spend $5-$6k on 3pc forged wheels just for your daily drive? Nope.

There's a time and place for quality > quantity and vise versa. Use your best judgement.