GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I buy a GTI ? help me please!

plat

Ready to race!
hey everyone!
to make things easier, just answer these questions and add explanations if you can
1) Should I Buy a new/used accord or a new/used GTI?

I, too, thought about buying a used car before I decided to order my new GTI. I know it is not a very wise decision because of the devaluation factor especially during the first 3 years of its life. However, I went ahead and decided to order a new one because I didn't want to take over someone else's headache. Especially with GTI's. If the original owner did not take care of it or if he abused it regularly, then owning a used GTI would become a nightmare. If you plan to keep it for the next 6to 9 years, I say just buy a new one. With this kind of vehicle, I say start fresh.

I won't be too concerned about buying a used Accord. If it is just an Accord, I would settle for a used one especially if it is one of the newer versions.

hey everyone!
2) Are there any significant differences between the 2008/2009/2010 GTIs?

If you do research here and in other VW forums, there is not much difference between the 2008, 2009, and 2010. All those years get the TSI engine (improved FSI engine). The 2010's and up would have addressed any significant issues since the 2006MY. Though, there are still the minor bugs such as some squeaks and rattles here and there; rear washer drip; etc. Things that you can live with if you are a fan of the GTI. If you are hands-on, it would be a great project to hunt down these little gremlins. They keep you busy during boring days compared to a 'super-perfect' car, if one exists.

A significant difference between the 2008, 2009, and 2010 is the front end look and the rear end lights. Aside from that, they are basically the same.

hey everyone!
3) When is a good time to buy the GTI? I am planning on buying it around Oct/Nov (this is my first time buying a new car)

People say, a good time to buy a car is towards the end of the month when the sales department is trying to hit their quota. For some makes/models, buying the last year's model during September, October, and even November gets you the greatest deals. For the GTI, this may not work since they're not produced in mass quantities (unlike Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics or Honda Accords). Even now, a lot of interested people are finding it increasingly difficult and almost impossible to locate GTI's with the desired configuration and color. A lot of dealers will etiher sell you a 2011 or ask you to place an order for one.

As for the nagging GF, I won't mind her since she's not going to drive it most of the time anyway. And, you are not yet married to her. In all reality, I don't understand why she would nag at you about your choice. You are spending for it anyway (am I right?). If I were her, I would be more considerate towards your needs and wants rather than nag you about my preference (IMHO, very one-sided and scary). No further comments :)

Go ahead and test drive the Accord first. Then, go drive the GTI. I am pretty sure you'll like the little GTI. I used to own a 2002 Accord V6. I sold it because of the known auto tranny problem that Honda refused to acknowledge (1998 to 2002 MYs). My tranny was still good when I sold it but I did not want to wait for the inevitable to happen and spend money for a rebuilt tranny that still has the same problem.

Before I decided on my GTI, I test drove the Mazda 3, MazdaSpeed3, the Mits Lancer Sportback. When it was the GTI's turn, I was instantly hooked to it. It offers the interior quality of an Accord (even slightly better), the economy of a compact, and the driving excitement of having a 200HP engine (no need to get one with a V6 engine. This 4-banger will do it). Plus, it has generous trunk space. I also enjoy driving it downtown. Easy to park and maneuver in tight spaces compared to the Accord.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Don't get the accord coupe, non v6, over the GTI. Your soul will regret it!

sfitalianguy

Passed Driver's Ed
haha hey don't worry man i'll make the final choice

thanks for the advice though.. and just to clarify..the gti has ALL those problems?? + more?? wth

Just to offer a different perspective, I've had my 2010 GTI for 2 months now, 2500 miles, and I haven't noticed any of those problems. And I owned a 2000 BMW 323Ci, that I bought new, for over 10 years / 150k miles, and I've had issues with that car too, recurring ones too (like for example the weather stripping around the doors coming off EVERY summer... and it was a known defect and BMW still didn't do anything about it), and MUCH MUCH more serious ones (like the rear suspension literally tearing a hole through the floor - there was a lawsuit against BMW of NA and we won.. but I can't begin to say how painful the whole ordeal was)... so my point is, yes, I owned a Honda Civic in the 90s and I liked it, but in my opinion no car is perfect, and not all cars have ALL the issues that SOME cars encounter.

You're the only one who can decide how much you want to put up with. I loved my BMW even despite all the issues, and if I'd had another 10+ grand laying around I might have bought a 328i instead of the GTI. But I am happy with my GTI so far.

FlyingYeti

Passed Driver's Ed
I never owned a same brand car up until now, but I just declared to myself that the only car I would buy from now on will be GTi until the day I die.

Accord is a nice car if you are simply going from point A to point B. If you want to have fun between point A and B, GTi cannot be beaten. I like my current 2000 GTi, but the new ones are ten times better. I've been very lucky with mine as it had virtually trouble free 184,000 miles. I'd like to go for 250,000 miles, which I think is easily achievable but I cannot resist the temptation of 2011 GTi. That's all I think about these days.

Although 2008 to 2010 models are similar mechanically, I like the interior of 2010 much better. There is not much 2010 models left out there, so I am now waiting for the arrival of 2011.

NLeo

Ready to race!
I would get the gti over the accord no questions asked. My mom thought the gti was ugly and didnt like it and then she drove it and now she loves it. Everyone who drives my gti loves it and idk why anyone would even consider a 4 cyl accord over a gti.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
I drive a 2010 GTI that has 9K miles. No problems and loving it. This car is a sporty family car!

Great MPG too! I can lug around a 2-1/2 year old than I can go around speeding around the place. I find my car to be very utilitarian =)

vietbodia

Passed Driver's Ed
haha nice so heres what I learned so far..
1- test drive --> buy a GTI year 2008.5 or higher because TSI engines are more reliable than the FSI engines
2- buy at the end of the month if possible
3- don't roll the windows down if there is rain on the roof cause it'll run down on my first turn
4- the rattles and leaky wipers are NORMAL
5- GTIs are not as reliable as Hondas but are 100x more fun to drive

is there anything else I should know about the GTI?