GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor///// Radiator Identification Senso

justsomeguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn, just bought a Tyrolsport radiator and then came across this thread. Will give them a call to see how they recommend addressing this.

Geoff Lebowski

Need help. 2013 GTI rebuild

I have the rad ID sensor but someone cut off the connector. Could anyone tell me which color wire goes into which port on the connector? Thanks

goose1

Ready to race!
I have the rad ID sensor but someone cut off the connector. Could anyone tell me which color wire goes into which port on the connector? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
This damn sensor is the only thing keeping me from buying a neuspeed fmic. Not sure if the sensor needs relocating with the fmic installed. Wish I had a ccta engine code instead. No damn sensor to deal with. It was a pain when I had the dealer replace the radiator sensor last time.

Sent from my Pixel

urbanevil

Ready to race!
This damn sensor is the only thing keeping me from buying a neuspeed fmic. Not sure if the sensor needs relocating with the fmic installed. Wish I had a ccta engine code instead. No damn sensor to deal with. It was a pain when I had the dealer replace the radiator sensor last time.

Sent from my Pixel
My ARM (neuspeed copy), had a bracket to relocate the sensor, I'm CBFA.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
You guys are talking about the outside air temp sensor. The front mount has no effect on this sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
You guys are talking about the outside air temp sensor. The front mount has no effect on this sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're not talking about the outside air temp sensor. They're talking about the sensor on the radiator that some aftermarket intercoolers might interfere with and some installers might even damage it or removing it causing a code.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I intend to address this in May because I'll be crazy busy in June and on. I'll let everyone know how this goes, but anything PZEV should be covered under emissions warranty.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
My ARM (neuspeed copy), had a bracket to relocate the sensor, I'm CBFA.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Did you delete the stock intercooler or just use plugs? You didn't damage the sensor that's on the radiator during install?. That's my main concern . The Intercooler looks like really good quality tempted to get it. How do you like it?

Sent from my Pixel

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
They're not talking about the outside air temp sensor. They're talking about the sensor on the radiator that some aftermarket intercoolers might interfere with and some installers might even damage it or removing it causing a code.

I'm the one who started this thread 3 years ago, I know exactly what sensor they are talking about...

Installing a Neuspeed or ARM front mount, and leaving the stock intercooler in place, you get nowhere near the Ozone sensor. The sensor you relocate using the ARM or neuspeed intercooler is the outside air temp sensor that shows on your dash.

The stack goes, A/C condenser-->Intercooler-->Radiator. The Ozone sensor is on the radiator between the intercooler and radiator on CBFA cars. The way the sensor gets broken is using aftermarket stock location intercoolers which are thicker, and when the radiator is bolted tight to the thicker intercooler the sensor gets sandwiched tight, which breaks the seal of the sensor in the radiator, and causes the CEL.

So, if you are CBFA space the radiator out from the intercooler with some washers so it isn't up tight to the sensor. If you're using the ARM or Neuspeed you have nothing to worry about. If you use those and leave the stock intercooler in place capped off you never even get close to the sensor. If you remove the stock intercooler and install the delete plates, you still have no effect on the sensor as nothing will be touching it, so no issue there as well.

goose1

Ready to race!
Well I thought my replacement sensor that I snagged on eBay with a short cable went bad, looks like it was just a bad connection and some corrosion at the splice. When I was under the car the other day I cut some clean wire and put on a dab of dielectric grease. Fingers crossed as my inspection is up this month. I keep looking for the sensor on eBay and such and still haven't found another one to grab just in case. I thought I saw one for sale on a Mexican website but they don't take PayPal and I'm not looking to have my card info stolen yet again.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I'm the one who started this thread 3 years ago, I know exactly what sensor they are talking about...

Installing a Neuspeed or ARM front mount, and leaving the stock intercooler in place, you get nowhere near the Ozone sensor. The sensor you relocate using the ARM or neuspeed intercooler is the outside air temp sensor that shows on your dash.

The stack goes, A/C condenser-->Intercooler-->Radiator. The Ozone sensor is on the radiator between the intercooler and radiator on CBFA cars. The way the sensor gets broken is using aftermarket stock location intercoolers which are thicker, and when the radiator is bolted tight to the thicker intercooler the sensor gets sandwiched tight, which breaks the seal of the sensor in the radiator, and causes the CEL.

So, if you are CBFA space the radiator out from the intercooler with some washers so it isn't up tight to the sensor. If you're using the ARM or Neuspeed you have nothing to worry about. If you use those and leave the stock intercooler in place capped off you never even get close to the sensor. If you remove the stock intercooler and install the delete plates, you still have no effect on the sensor as nothing will be touching it, so no issue there as well.

this is a pretty good idea. considering I'm on my 3rd radiator and the last two have given me this code I want to suggest this to the VW techs when I go in. I suspect it is just sloppy labor.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
this is a pretty good idea. considering I'm on my 3rd radiator and the last two have given me this code I want to suggest this to the VW techs when I go in. I suspect it is just sloppy labor.

Mine has been spaced for a while. The sensor is definitely broke as I still (used to) get the code, but I deleted it with Eurodyne and somehow still pass readiness so it hasn't been an issue for me in quite some time.

goose1

Ready to race!
Yeah that code would have nothing to do with readiness as it isn't one of the standard emissions monitors tested for in any county in the US.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that code would have nothing to do with readiness as it isn't one of the standard emissions monitors tested for in any county in the US.

so if the cel gets vag comd out it just doesnt matter?