GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parents and girlfriend just don't understand

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
My parents HATE it!!! They just don't get it! My dad wants to kick me in the face everytime he sees my car. He says its too low, its too loud, yada blah blah blah. My mom thinks that I'm going to get into an accident because it looks "smaller" and my girlfriend hates the ride quality. My friends (that arent into cars) hate it that we can't go into certain places and that i can't have 3 of them sitting in the back. list goes on and on..

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
lot of my friends are not into cars as i am, i wasn't into cars or knowledgable as much as i am now, so they ask my why dump money on intake, why, etc. my parents used to disapprove everything i wanted on my old car, i only done an oem spoiler, but i also wanted to lower it and have lighter wheels, tinted tails + windows, intake etc. but that was high school first year college times with no job, by the time i got a job, it wasn't worth it since i was considering a new car a year later

but thats not much of a problem anymore, it is MY money, it is MY hobby, i work hard for it and i deserve to use it as i please, whether my parents like it or not. i am an adult after all

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
I learned not to give a flying fuuuck. my pops was always in to cars and fixing them. he had a 69 camaro and I LOVED IT. always saw him working on it and other cars, in a honesty, my mom said she left him BECAUSE of it.(so she says, I'm sure there were other things) but he now works on semi trucks and makes some pretty good dinero. Pretty shameful but it is what it is, she always says I'm exactly him when she sees me in the garage all greased up shit. haha

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
My parents see that its my true passion. They see how it makes me happy. They are all up for it. Except those 3am suspension jobs :p

Nitron

Ready to race!
I love the power struggle that exists when enthusiasts have to sell/beg/plead with their significant others to spend countless dollars on their depreciating liability when the significant other is typically more often right about cautioning against modding.

This:thumbup:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
My parents are ok with it for the most part, except for taking up most of the storage space since I don't have a storage area at my own place. My wife assists me installing new mods and just doing general maintenance! :thumbup:

Boomers

Ready to race!
I must be the luckiest one here because after paying the mortgage, utilities, car payment, insurance, daycare, school, groceries, gas.....there's no more money left to mod with, therefore nobody to give me grief for doing it!!

clownish

just clowning around
I must be the luckiest one here because after paying the mortgage, utilities, car payment, insurance, daycare, school, groceries, gas.....there's no more money left to mod with, therefore nobody to give me grief for doing it!!

Might move to MTL. I don't envy... anything about cost up there. From CLE to MTL the cost comparison is ridiculous. Tax rates are around 15%, gas is over $5 USD a gallon, everything under the sun is more expensive and the benefit is that you are living in a great city. Cost of living is insane compared to where I live now.

Boomers

Ready to race!
Might move to MTL. I don't envy... anything about cost up there. From CLE to MTL the cost comparison is ridiculous. Tax rates are around 15%, gas is over $5 USD a gallon, everything under the sun is more expensive and the benefit is that you are living in a great city. Cost of living is insane compared to where I live now.

...don't forgot the 40% income tax they take of every one of my pay cheques! :mad0259:

I might try and scrape up a few bucks to go stage1 but I don't see myself going past that. Wife won't care, she won't see it.

CW12

Ready to race!
Mine all started in High School when I chopped up the S10 my Dad bought me. He was so pissed when I told him I bagged it and cut the frame, but once he saw it he thought it was kind of cool. Then I started doing more vehicles and he got into it, and now he has 4 Corvettes and one is fully built almost 600 hp N/A. My wife is good with it as she had a Civic in High School that I put a body kit on and custom painted it and it was really nice. She gets a little mad because I have my GTI and my 3 motorcycles that I mod equally as much or more.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I have daddy issues so I don't know what my dad thinks but my mom thinks it's awesome. She has a Tiguan and every time I do something on my car she goes "ohhh I want that!"...My girlfriend doesn't understand cars at all and tells me her favorite car is one with a trunk (I lol every time)...btw she means a sedan.

clownish

just clowning around
"That Audi has pretty headlights. I want one."
To which I would reply, "Which Audi is it?"
"I don't know! The pretty one!"

I figured out which one she liked. The RS7... At least she has good taste?

...don't forgot the 40% income tax they take of every one of my pay cheques! :mad0259:

I might try and scrape up a few bucks to go stage1 but I don't see myself going past that. Wife won't care, she won't see it.

Ouch. Between that and the sales tax, you're making about 50 cents on the dollar. Is pay scale commiserate to cost of living? IE, on average your basic white collar entry level job in Ohio would be $45k - in Canada, does it scale up appropriately?

Last edited: