GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XGC75 - One for the Road

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Picked up a Unibrace UB off another user this weekend and took delivery today. First thought picking up the box is how light the thing is. Incredible. Definitely a high-quality piece, too. Condition isn't too bad for a used item. There are a few scrapes here and there but nothing I noticed without hard inspection. It'll be under the car anyways. Hope to get it installed tomorrow! :happyanim: Pics:

uploadfromtaptalk1355887159941.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1355887222216.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1355887313503.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1355887338766.jpg

Definitely wasn't cleaned :rolleyes:

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
UB is on the car! Install was a cinch, besides my one-use Walmart crescent wrench really needs a disclaimer on the side: "First bolt will bend crescent arm. Try box end" so customers don't bang knuckles on hard surfaces. Jeeze. Bolts weren't even on that tight.

My impressions kind of exceeded my expectations for this mod. That is, I feel differences that I didn't expect, and feel less planar stability than I expected. Unmet expectations first: While this really tightens up the center of the underbody, there's still some give beyond that center. I was expecting (without giving it too much thought) that pressing on one wheel would illicit more stiffness than it did. That said, this does a hell of a lot more than I thought it might in other aspects.

For one, the whole interior is quieter. Panel creaks and moves are nearly gone now, especially when one wheel is lifted more than others. They're not completely gone, but very very close. I had to make a couple passes at my driveway before picking up a sound from interior panels. The tonal experience goes far beyond those moments, though, because I swear just going down the road is much quieter. Yes it's quieter when you hit a bump with one wheel, but it's especially quieter when you hit a bump with both, such as a ridge. You don't notice everything that is jarred when you hit bumps like that until those things are no longer jarred. It imparts a feeling of supreme refinement, especially when you know what that two-tire bump is supposed to feel like. Solid.

The down-the-road feel is also felt through the controls. The car feels much more stable going straight. I have to correct for small bumps much less than I did before, so there's less activity required from me. Again, one of the effects I didn't know the UB could have, and it's very welcome. It does impart a sense that there's more information through the wheel, but I wouldn't leave out the possibility that I just have more attention to give it now that I'm not making as many minor corrections. It has a lot to do with the front-to-rear stiffness that wasn't there before. Response to sudden acceleration (read, laying on the throttle) feels marginally tighter - there's less dive and more composure.

Through turns, stability is very much improved. I should preface this attribute by mentioning I'm on my winters (Michelin Xi2's) and they ride like marshmallows. Yet even with them, I can feel the car is less sloppy through quick transitions. It's tighter and better composed. It's more difficult to feel like I've upset the tires' load distribution. I can give it something new after I've left a corner much sooner than I could before. Around town, I felt this at every right- or left-hand turn. There was a "slop" there before that would make it a bit tricky to drive smoothly (say, when your mother in-law is riding shotgun). Now it just takes it all in stride. Mid-corner bumps through sweeping, steady turns upset the car far less than before.

All told these are a number of pretty minor improvements that are adding up to be a hell of an effective mod. It's a jack-of-all-trades - everything you need to make the car feel more refined and expensive.

Pics:

Using the incline into the garage to my advantage

UB is installed. Hard to see, but I don't feel like fiddling with the pic to demonstrate. So squint.

Close-up.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
For the past couple days I've been trying to pinpoint one particular benefit of the UB but was unable until today to put my finger on it. Now that I know what it is I feel pretty daft, but I'm excited nonetheless

COMPLETE DISAPPEARANCE OF TORQUE STEER.

Seriously, this is incredible - I just went from a dig to 100mph full throttle without touching the wheel beyond engaging the clutch in 2nd. Think about that for a second - 30 to 100mph at full throttle on snow tires. So without the engine seemingly grabbing the wheel out of my hands, I do feel like there's better road feel through the wheel. It's no FR layout, but the feel lends itself to that effect. It feels like the front wheels just have less to do now.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Last night I installed some 20% tint on my side markers. Bought a 6.25" wide roll from autozone. Would be great project to get a beginner started tinting. I actually had to cover the lenses twice each because I messed up so many times, but the results are pretty good.

A couple pointers: 1) outline the marker on to the tint first then cut tint with scissors. Otherwise a with a razor blade you'll get a very bad cut. 2) tack one corner of tint to line it up before removing the rest of the film to expose the adhesive. 3) use lots of soapy water (I had some surfactant solution left over from a phone screen protector install) and when you squeegee the water out from under the tint, start from the center working out slowly. The tint has a tenancy to grab the corners so hard you'll have a hard time getting the bubbles out.

Oh and those covers in the wheel well are a pain in the f'in ass to get off. Pull pull pull pull hands bleed pull and pop. I gave no idea why some people's are coming off on the road.

uploadfromtaptalk1358714867930.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358714931025.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358714966385.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358715000650.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358715037255.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358715054026.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358715088279.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358715126508.jpg

I also got some real pics from a tripod +camera but those are a pain to upload so I'll do it later :p

butchered by autocorrect

Last edited:

A_Bowers

That is identical to how I did mine. Same.exact brand of window tint.

I used a heat gun to activate the adhesive again but other than that we both did the same mod!!!! Looks great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
That is identical to how I did mine. Same.exact brand of window tint.

I used a heat gun to activate the adhesive again but other than that we both did the same mod!!!! Looks great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

:eek: Oops, I forgot to give you credit for the idea. So... thanks :w00t: