GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

water damaged kessy remote

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
looks like a jinxed myself by saying that kessy is one of my favorite features in the other thread...

anywho, my wife had a water bottle accident in her purse and her keys were at the bottom.

the remote lock and unlock seems to be working reliably, but using the door handle no longer works, and it doesn't start the car unless we hold the key up against the button.

i've already tried replacing the battery and it didn't seem to help.

is it fixable or will i need to pay the dealership a visit for a replacement?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
This and other reasons are why I'd rather have a key backup. I know a guy who sweats profusely, (I mean a LOT) and he ruined his keyless fob; it wasn't cheap to fix. Stupid to not have a key option.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
looks like a jinxed myself by saying that kessy is one of my favorite features in the other thread...

anywho, my wife had a water bottle accident in her purse and her keys were at the bottom.

the remote lock and unlock seems to be working reliably, but using the door handle no longer works, and it doesn't start the car unless we hold the key up against the button.

i've already tried replacing the battery and it didn't seem to help.

is it fixable or will i need to pay the dealership a visit for a replacement?

Got to dealer, say car stopped working in middle of rain storm, key was in pocket got drenched now doesnt work. They will diagnose car find no issues and it will be a mystery, then become employee of said dealership and work your way up until they will give you a free replacement.
Best guess will take 17 months of labor to get to that point.

Or i guess you could just go in and ask.. but thats just risky.

plat

Ready to race!
My advice is to just charge it to experience, bite the bullet, and go get a new FOB. Accidents happen. If you can afford to buy and maintain your GTI, a new FOB won't break the bank. I see uncut FOBs go for less than $10 on Ebay.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
My advice is to just charge it to experience, bite the bullet, and go get a new FOB. Accidents happen. If you can afford to buy and maintain your GTI, a new FOB won't break the bank. I see uncut FOBs go for less than $10 on Ebay.
the ones for $10 don't have electronics inside. for that it'll be like $20-30.

however, looking for "kessy key fob" comes up with nothing on ebay. does anyone know for certain if the keyfob for a kessy vs non-kessy is the same or not?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
did some research and found a keyfob with the matching part number of mine, so i should be able to reprogram it to my car.

however, it's already precut....does anyone know if the key part of it have any electronics? if not i could take it out of my old key and put it in the new one...

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie

6MTCSG

Banned
i did some more research, and here's a pretty good thread i found:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/new-mk6-key-fob.5742/page-3

long story short, even if you can program another key to your car, the immobilizer can only be programmed once -- which means you can't start the car....

got a quote for my local dealer and it'll be around $280 plus taxes.

I got similar quote for new key including a reflash. From my understanding you can reflash the key to work with a different code/"password" I am wondering if you can buy one online and pay the dealership to do the flash, which would only cost about 50 bucks