GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting Advice?? Falling out of boost...

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
WOTBOX modification can be effective if you're looking to get that extra tenth or 2 at the track, but as Modshack said it can come at a steep price. I've had a friends MK5 GTI at my house for a week and he had a N2MB WOTBOX and I got a lot of time to experiment with it and I got it figured out.

Leaving the accelerator to the floor as you blip the clutch and throw it in gear is counter intuitive at first and could cause a hesitation that will lead to devastating results.. You can't stop and think you just have to go through with it.

It is effective, my friend gained A LOT for a modification that doesn't add any power. I'd say the benefits of it are directly correlated to how good of a driver you are without a WOTBOX. After using it, you can replicate its results if you're just good at driving, if you're not though its a worthwhile investment as long as you know the inherent risks.

fender177

Ready to race!
WOTBOX modification can be effective if you're looking to get that extra tenth or 2 at the track, but as Modshack said it can come at a steep price. I've had a friends MK5 GTI at my house for a week and he had a N2MB WOTBOX and I got a lot of time to experiment with it and I got it figured out.

Leaving the accelerator to the floor as you blip the clutch and throw it in gear is counter intuitive at first and could cause a hesitation that will lead to devastating results.. You can't stop and think you just have to go through with it.

It is effective, my friend gained A LOT for a modification that doesn't add any power. I'd say the benefits of it are directly correlated to how good of a driver you are without a WOTBOX. After using it, you can replicate its results if you're just good at driving, if you're not though its a worthwhile investment as long as you know the inherent risks.

Question though - the WOTBOX goes wot only as soon as you start letting the clutch out, yeah?

So the biggest risk is simply slamming it into the wrong gear and letting the clutch out? I think I've done that once in the 13ish years I've been driving. But I suppose that is all it would take.

Last edited:

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Go HAM.

Flat Shift for days.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
It's cool... but you shouldn't need a $150 toy to help you power shift. My dad taught me when i was 16 in his 67 corvette. Learn your tranny and just be quick. Start by lifting only half throttle when you shift to get a feel for it, and then from there just go for it.

I Will say in the gti power shifting isnt the best... the clutch always sticks a bit. I can feel it smack the bottom of my foot when i pull off. So i cant see this being too effective on our cars. I dont bother doing it. I've never driven an srt4, but seeing the improvement in times the wot box made from that website, they must have a pretty solid drivetrain. Im Impressed!

But those old M22 trannys from the chevys are fantastic. Power shift all day, and they'll never let you down! They dont make em like they used to. lol But then again... the GTI is NOT a drag car.

9900rpm

Passed Driver's Ed
WOTbox will help in the GTI, because like someone previously said, the DV will dump once you let off the throttle. Even if you're making a super fast shift, you're loosing boost.

Power shifting feels downrite retarded in the GTI. Probably because of the combination of a cable shifter, slow acting clutch and super soft motor mounts.

WOTbox is good for power shifting, and actually will make a less experienced driver less likely to miss/grind a gear. At WOT without the WOTbox, the engine will continue to rev as you're shifting. Depending on how quickly you shift, it may only go up 400-500, but that's most likely approaching, or AT redline. The engine will have a large amount of load (torqued back, towards the firewall), which in itself makes it more difficult to shift. Also, this puts a huge amount of strain on the input shaft. With a WOTbox, there is much less load, because it is hitting a limiter. The motor will be sitting "straight", if that makes sense. You are not fighting the way the transmission works with the motor.

I've had several SRT4's with the n2mb WOT/2 step box, and know that they work, and work well. I am actually not a fan of powershifting, even with the WOTbox. Doesn't feel natural. In the GTI, I think it will make a significant difference, due to the boost dumping when you let off the throttle on a normal shift.