GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TOB-Throw Out Bearing Squeal Video Clip

mundo1

Ready to race!
if u have a late build 2011 u may have the revised TOB. call VW parts dept and have them run you VIN. ask them to tell u which TOB or clutch bearing (same thing but some places call it clutch bearing) you have. have both TOB part numbers from the begining of this thread handy

Its a 2010, and i have a dxd clutch. They told me they used a oem tob, but don't know the part number.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Its a 2010, and i have a dxd clutch. They told me they used a oem tob, but don't know the part number.

now the oem tob is the revised one regardless of MY. VW should only be replacing with that one.

twistid

Ready to race!
My car used to only make the squeal noise on cold mornings, but now it almost does it every time I start off in first gear. I'm guessing it's time for new TOB/clutch disk while I'm at it? Will it eventually fail and take out other components, or just annoying?

allset

Go Kart Champion
My car used to only make the squeal noise on cold mornings, but now it almost does it every time I start off in first gear. I'm guessing it's time for new TOB/clutch disk while I'm at it? Will it eventually fail and take out other components, or just annoying?

it will eventually wreck the FW and disc. U wil aslo run out of brake fluid if u dont keep refilling; same system.

how many miles?

mundo1

Ready to race!
Replacing TOB Friday.... Hopefully the squeal goes away

twistid

Ready to race!
it will eventually wreck the FW and disc. U wil aslo run out of brake fluid if u dont keep refilling; same system.

how many miles?

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Oh well, guess I might as well order the strage 3 drop in disk while I'm at it. I am stage 2 around 38k miles, I got tuned around 18k miles but I've never had any clutch slip issues! While I am ordering the stage 3 drop in disk, what version TOB should I order as well?

twistid

Ready to race!
Well I called my dealership and I have an appointment next week for the TOB. Unfortunately I am over 36k miles by they said it may fall under drivetrain warranty (which I think it should, however I have mods :( )

Any tips for approaching the dealer and getting the TOB done under drivetrain warranty?

allset

Go Kart Champion
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Oh well, guess I might as well order the strage 3 drop in disk while I'm at it. I am stage 2 around 38k miles, I got tuned around 18k miles but I've never had any clutch slip issues! While I am ordering the stage 3 drop in disk, what version TOB should I order as well?

Latest version part # (0A5141671F)

Well I called my dealership and I have an appointment next week for the TOB. Unfortunately I am over 36k miles by they said it may fall under drivetrain warranty (which I think it should, however I have mods :( )

Any tips for approaching the dealer and getting the TOB done under drivetrain warranty?

read through this thread, u wont find a more comprehensive store of info on this failure and how to get it warrantied.

Last edited:

ehancock

Ready to race!
So i ordered a new Southbend Stage 2 Daily from Ringer Racing. Mike was great to deal with and i would definitely shop with him again.

The bummer is that SB sent me the old/bad throw out bearing design. I seem to remember them coming on here or golfmkv and telling us they were only going to ship the revised TOB with their kits but i can't find the thread.

Anyways i asked Mike at Ringer if he could have SB swap it out for me. He mentioned that LUK no longer makes the metal body revised TOB anymore so that could be a problem for us in the future.

I'll let you know what he says

allset

Go Kart Champion
So i ordered a new Southbend Stage 2 Daily from Ringer Racing. Mike was great to deal with and i would definitely shop with him again.

The bummer is that SB sent me the old/bad throw out bearing design. I seem to remember them coming on here or golfmkv and telling us they were only going to ship the revised TOB with their kits but i can't find the thread.

Anyways i asked Mike at Ringer if he could have SB swap it out for me. He mentioned that LUK no longer makes the metal body revised TOB anymore so that could be a problem for us in the future.

I'll let you know what he says

i hevent heard that about LUK. But, as long as the TOB has a one piece slave shaft, it should not matter if they go back to plastic.

DEF DO NOT use the 2 piece shaft TOB they sent u

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
ECS is notorius for advertising the "F" revised TOB and sending the old 2 piece "E" TOB. I know 5 ppl now it happened too. I assume they are stuck with the old version in stock and hope to sell them. They can just say "whoops" if someone notices.

ehancock

Ready to race!
Mike got back to me and confirmed Luk is no longer making the one piece metal slave cylinder/tob so southbend can't source them and will be shipping future orders with the two piece plastic TOB.

That's kind of a bummer, I'm not really looking forward to spending another $100 if I can even find a one piece TOB.

Maybe I'll try my luck with ECS.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Mike got back to me and confirmed Luk is no longer making the one piece metal slave cylinder/tob so southbend can't source them and will be shipping future orders with the two piece plastic TOB.

That's kind of a bummer, I'm not really looking forward to spending another $100 if I can even find a one piece TOB.

im replacing my clutch next week and replacing the meatl "F" TOB b/c the kit comes with one. it has 15,000/16,000 miles on it installed jan 2012. ill sell it if u really want the metal one.TOBs should last 80,000 + miles minimum

mundo1

Ready to race!
Car is in for service. The TOB they got with the part number listed here is the two piece from luk. We'll see how it holds