GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG - Jerky upshift after Stage 2 tune

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I've finally decided to install my Scorpion Downpipe about a month ago after having it sit in the garage for almost 4 years. This means that I'm now finally Stage 2 at 53k miles.
I've been noticing an odd behavoir since going Stage 2 with my DSG transmission during shifting. When I'm accelerating hard (foot planted) in D or even in manual mode it seems to cut power between shifts in a way that it actually jerks the car during the upshifts. Does anyone know what that could be and have had similar issues.

Some quick facts:
- Car is a 2013
- Owned since new and always maintained on or ahead of schedule including the DSG service
- Cobb Stage 2 tune

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
You might be hitting the TQ limit in the DSG. Also the DSG will take a couple of miles to adapt to the different tune. Unless you have been stg2 for awhile then refer to the first.

Run some logs you will be able to see if the TQ limit is stepping on your fun.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You might be hitting the TQ limit in the DSG. Also the DSG will take a couple of miles to adapt to the different tune. Unless you have been stg2 for awhile then refer to the first.

Run some logs you will be able to see if the TQ limit is stepping on your fun.

definitely not hitting the limit. Dsg's can hold a lot of power, K04 and above...

Try doing a dsg adaptation with vagcom, that might smooth things out a bit.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
definitely not hitting the limit. Dsg's can hold a lot of power, K04 and above...

Try doing a dsg adaptation with vagcom, that might smooth things out a bit.

I don't he means it's power rating. Without a dsg tune, wheel torque is limited to 260 ft lbs (350nm) or so iirc.

Engine output is the same, but torque to the ground is limited.

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm k04 without any DSG tune, I would not say anything is limited. You may have a diverter valve issue. As someone said, try doing an adaptation with VCDS. I know this is unrelated, but do you have an intake? Supporting mods are nice, an insert or subframe mount might stiffen things up.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I'm k04 without any DSG tune, I would not say anything is limited. You may have a diverter valve issue. As someone said, try doing an adaptation with VCDS. I know this is unrelated, but do you have an intake? Supporting mods are nice, an insert or subframe mount might stiffen things up.

I'm running the stock intake and also running the Cobb Stage 2 tune for the stock MAF position as their regular Stage 2 tune is specific for their intake. I'll have to do a front end refresh at some point anyways as my front end has been feeling sloppy lately (posted about it in the suspension sub forum).

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I also have a 2013 Stage 2 with a DSG (no tune). I don't get the issues you are having. I am wondering...did you do the DSG oil change or did the dealer? Did they put enough oil in it? :) I did mine myself for this very reason...

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I also have a 2013 Stage 2 with a DSG (no tune). I don't get the issues you are having. I am wondering...did you do the DSG oil change or did the dealer? Did they put enough oil in it? :) I did mine myself for this very reason...

DSG service at 40k was performed by the dealer.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
DSG service at 40k was performed by the dealer.

I can bet with 99% certainty that they didn't fill it completely as instructed by Volkswagen. I bet they took the shortcut and said "close enough". Watch lasthumansgarage mk6 video on YouTube how you had to run the car back to a certain temp while filling it. Im sure they didn't take that step.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I can bet with 99% certainty that they didn't fill it completely as instructed by Volkswagen. I bet they took the shortcut and said "close enough". Watch lasthumansgarage mk6 video on YouTube how you had to run the car back to a certain temp while filling it. Im sure they didn't take that step.
That's a very amateur way of doing the service. The trans holds 4.7 liters of fluid. As long as you measure the proper amount there's absolutely no need to over fill it to 5 and then get it to temp and drain the rest. No dealer or trained technician would do it that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
That's a very amateur way of doing the service. The trans holds 4.7 liters of fluid. As long as you measure the proper amount there's absolutely no need to over fill it to 5 and then get it to temp and drain the rest. No dealer or trained technician would do it that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And... you think the dealer would fill it exactly at 4.7 liters? :) The thing is, you're also counting on them to letting it drain completely. I can tell you that when I drained mine completely from the original fill, it was NOT 4.7 liters. It was closer to 4 liters. But I had the luxury of doing that since I have a lift at my house and leaving the car to sit there. So if I took it to the dealer, they likely would have drained 3.x liters and filled it what?

But I think you'd agree with me that regardless of who does it, it must be done correctly.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
What tunes do you guys have? Ive had an issue with revo for a while where the car will kind of buck when im WOT in 3rd or 4th gear when i get to about 5k rpm. Otherwise the car drives perfecty and never throws any codes. I kind of gave up on finding a solution a long time ago. Revo says its the car, people on the forum swear its not, they want you to set up an appointment with techs, yada, yada. I thought it was a fuel cut but if people are running ko4 with no issues then im still a loss as to what it could be.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
What tunes do you guys have? Ive had an issue with revo for a while where the car will kind of buck when im WOT in 3rd or 4th gear when i get to about 5k rpm. Otherwise the car drives perfecty and never throws any codes. I kind of gave up on finding a solution a long time ago. Revo says its the car, people on the forum swear its not, they want you to set up an appointment with techs, yada, yada. I thought it was a fuel cut but if people are running ko4 with no issues then im still a loss as to what it could be.

Cobb Stage 2. I might take a drive up to Austin at some point and get Cobb to pro tune it.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Want to post an update. I got the Stratified tune back in late December and still had jerky upshifts (mainly 2-3 and 3-4). The jerky upshift was usually followed with a prolonged DSG fart. The shifting drove me insane as it literally rocked the car. I switched back to a Stage 1 tune and now the shifts are buttery smooth again.