GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Garble?

rj45

Passed Driver's Ed
My clutch sometimes makes a noise when pulling away from a stop. It sounds/feels like a light, quick knocking or tapping noise. It usually goes away after the car's driven a while. It may also be more prevalent when pulling away with the front wheels turned. Sometimes I don't hear/feel it at all.

ilimit

Ready to race!
Yep sometimes it disappears and other days.. I swear a clutch shouldn't sound like this!! :confused:

Sent from my SGH-T999

hifichip76

1100 miles and still the same "thump, thump, thump" in rhythm when clutch is partially engaged going into 1st or reverse...clutch pedal itself is quiet. Not sure if I should take it in or not. It works fine, just annoying noise. Wondering if something is wrong. Someone on here posted that every R they've driven does it, though.

TDI110

O_o
My R does, or rather did, do this as well. It's got 1895km on the clock and I was out driving today. No garble anymore. I'll see tomorrow.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I just had my clutch replaced under warranty. It had like a grainy/sandy feel to it when shifting 1-2, 2-3. More recently it began slipping in 5th sporadically. At my 10k the tech at the dealership couldn't reproduce the slip and said the feel during shifting was normal. I had to go back a week later to get a window switch replaced and brought the clutch up again to my service advisor. Apparently, within a few days of the 10k, VWoA issued an advisory to the service techs to call VWoA if any R's have clutch complaints. At which point the dealership must do whatever a Regional Engineer advises.

In my case, the tech found no fault with the clutch and therefore there was no way the dealer was going to drop the tranny to look at. However, the Regional Engineer advised the dealer to do just that and have the tranny dropped so he could inspect the clutch upon arrival. Apparently, he found what was described as an odd discoloration on the edges of the disc that was dark as if a fire or heat caused it. I don't even know what that means but the service advisor said it was likely a fault at the factory when the car was built.

The engineer said to go ahead and replace the clutch assembly (pressure plate and disc). I asked if they were upgraded in anyway but the advisor didn't know. All he knew was that they were the same part numbers he had to order.

I got my car back last night after the advisors left so i couldn't learn more about it. On the ride home, the clutch felt at least 25% lighter than before and the "grainy" feeling was not present. This leads me to believe that either 1.) the parts have been upgraded/changed but keep the same part # or 2.) my clutch was really just a bad clutch from the factory that my local tech was just careless enough to not notice it was not right.

It literally feels exactly like a mk6 GTI clutch now, which I like. I know some prefer a stiffer clutch and I used to as well but I have grown to love the oem mk6 GTI feel.

ilimit

Ready to race!
I'm dropping off my car to replace the flywheel as the tech reproduced the "chattering". I asked about the clutch and they said the clutch seemed fine and it was the flywheel that needs replacing. You guys think I should verify if the clutch needs replacing the day I bring in the car? Kinda sucks that my car with 2k miles needs work done so early on in its life. But at the same time, so glad warranty has it covered.

eksmaan

This is so helpful. I thought I was being super-sensitive about the car. I just bought mine last night and I have this same clutch issue. I am taking the car back to the dealer Monday. They received 2 R's at the same time; PDI'd the one I bought first. The front passenger side LED is already out too! Not cool, super-pissed. Doesn't quite make me want an STI but there is always some issue with VW's. Glad to be in the forum All;)