GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got the Unitronic Stg 1+

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Forgive me, I am no technical expert so you wont find any graphs or charts in this post. Just a brief review on the stage 1+ software I had installed a few weeks ago. For those sitting on a stock car right now, just do it, it is worth it.

My car is a 2013 bone stock DSG with about 5k miles on it. I originally planned on just going stage 2 and getting the UNI TBE but just could not justify the cost right now and all of the issues that could possibly arise from messing with the cat, drone, emissions, O2 spacers, etc..etc..so I made a decision to go with only the 1+ at this time. I went with UNI over APR because I may in the future decide to get the UNI TBE and the intake which I love both products. They are just so damn expensive! Nothing that hasn't been said before but here's my review.

I got the tune flashed, and after installed the R8 coils (yes I put my engine cover back on) NGK double platinum plugs and the K & N drop in. All in all, spent $750 on the tune and about $160 more on the other supplies.

When in D the car pretty much drives as stock except for when you really get on the peddle. This is nice for traffic driving or when my wife takes out the car as I don't want the car surging forward and spinning tires on her.

When in S mode the car is much better, and "sporty" I drive around like this most of the time and below 2k rpm you cannot really notice the tune. The car starts to wake up as you near 3k and then BOOM, it is MUCH faster and stronger than before. You mash the peddle and can really feel that pull you back in your seat torque. There is so much more power than stock especially at the top end, it is much stronger on the highway and the power doesn't fall off cliff like the stock tune did.

When shifting in manual mode is when the car really shows itself as the new beast it is. Man, this car is quick and powerful when you stay in the sweet spot of the rpm's.

I almost got the DSG software but after reading about it, decided it was not worth it just yet, let me try the car with the stock DSG software, plus a fried ECU I can handle if the warranty gets voided, but I was not willing to potentially void the warranty on the DSG.

I cant wait until Spring when I can really open her up.

Attachments

• 1959523_10203238218740313_1197057585_n.jpg
    1959523_10203238218740313_1197057585_n.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I do have to ask... I didn't realize that there was a lot of issues with getting a TBE (although the entire thing isn't needed for just power as much as tone) but either way about the spacers and such. Why not have just gotten a cheaper downpipe and CAI?

DanielToombs

Passed Driver's Ed
Since you don't have to remove anything to tune the DSG, just through the port, I don't think it becomes "flagged" as being tuned. So if you decide to get it, I think you're safe. I love my dsg tune.

Cbax38

Ready to race!
I do have to ask... I didn't realize that there was a lot of issues with getting a TBE (although the entire thing isn't needed for just power as much as tone) but either way about the spacers and such. Why not have just gotten a cheaper downpipe and CAI?

I don't know how many "issues" there really are, just more than I am willing to meddle with right now, especially when uni TBE, intake, and upgrade to stage 2 is $2000!

Basically 3 reasons stopping me from stage 2-

I don't know if the hi-flow cat will pass emissions I North Carolina

I don't know if the "drone free" 3 inch TBE systems really are "drone free"

the $2000 cost.

KO7

Ready to race!
Not meaning to derail, but isn't an ECU tune cause enough to be denied warranty on a 'stock' programming DSG that fails?

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Since you don't have to remove anything to tune the DSG, just through the port, I don't think it becomes "flagged" as being tuned. So if you decide to get it, I think you're safe. I love my dsg tune.

Let's hope so, but if something fails on the dsg I could see them potentially denying the warranty claim. VW can see the software is changed whether obd flash or not, trust me.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Nice, I'm schedule to do a Unitronic stage 1 & stage 1 DSG next Fri, I will report on the DSG tune since the stock tune upshifts too early and too much in D mode for my driving style.

Last edited:

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Not meaning to derail, but isn't an ECU tune cause enough to be denied warranty on a 'stock' programming DSG that fails?

I doubt it but would be open to hearing from others with more knowledge or anyone that has had dsg warranty work while tuned.

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Just for the heck of it I wanted to do a cost break down per HP and TQ. To keep it simple, I will use the stock numbers from VW and the numbers provided by unitronic and I paid $150 for bench flash and assume I will pay $100 labor for flash to stage 2 and will get downpipe only.

Stock car 200 HP and 207 TQ
UNI Stg 1+ 260 HP and 295 TQ
$750 cost is $12.50 per HP and $8.52 per TQ

UNI Stg. 2 is 280 HP and 325 TQ.
To go from Stg. 1+ to Stg. 2 is $100 labor + $100 upgrade + UNI DP $660= $860 total
$860 cost is $43 per HP and $28.67 per TQ

Once you start factoring in $400 UNI intake and the $900 UNI cat back the price per HP and TQ really go to the moon for stage 2..

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Just for the heck of it I wanted to do a cost break down per HP and TQ. To keep it simple, I will use the stock numbers from VW and the numbers provided by unitronic and I paid $150 for bench flash and assume I will pay $100 labor for flash to stage 2 and will get downpipe only.

Stock car 200 HP and 207 TQ
UNI Stg 1+ 260 HP and 295 TQ
$750 cost is $12.50 per HP and $8.52 per TQ

UNI Stg. 2 is 280 HP and 325 TQ.
To go from Stg. 1+ to Stg. 2 is $100 labor + $100 upgrade + UNI DP $660= $860 total
$860 cost is $43 per HP and $28.67 per TQ

Once you start factoring in $400 UNI intake and the $900 UNI cat back the price per HP and TQ really go to the moon for stage 2..

The best gains per dollar are definitely in the initial tune. After that, it's diminishing returns for your dollar. I have the Uni Stage 1+ also and really like how smoothly the power comes on. I may go stage 2 some day, but it's not a priority for me.