GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Stage II (Downpipe + CBE + Intake)... How can I pass CA Smog?

shadax

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 GTI. Mods:

GIAC Stage II Tune
GIAC DSG Tune
Unitronic 2.0 intake
Ultimate Racing Downpipe + CBE
GFB Diverter Valve +

I'm in California and it's due for a smog. I'm also trying to sell the car so I'll need to smog it anyway.

I don't have any of the original parts because I'm a damn moron, all the work was done by a shop years ago.

So now that I have shot this gaping hole in my foot, realistically speaking, how in the hell can I get a smog pass on this thing?

I have one guy interested in my car who claims he knows someone who can smog pass it with a CARB legal intake, another who told me it's the tune that's the biggest problem.

I'm desperate for information here on what I can possibly do. Will gladly compensate anyone who can help me with this. It's been such a stressful ordeal for me these last few months and I literally have no idea what my options are here.

Also, I fully realize what a short sighted decision I made with this car 5 years ago when I did these mods and being in California. I don't even drive the car anymore as I've since paid it off and it just stays in the garage, only 40,000 miles and in pristine condition and soon I won't be able to even register or drive it.... :yikes:

Thank you kindly. I mean really, any info is extremely appreciated.

Last edited:

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
I have a 2013 GTI. Mods:

GIAC Stage II Tune
GIAC DSG Tune
Unitronic 2.0 intake
Ultimate Racing Downpipe + CBE
GFB Diverter Valve +

I'm in California and it's due for a smog. I'm also trying to sell the car so I'll need to smog it anyway.

I don't have any of the original parts because I'm a damn moron, all the work was done by a shop years ago.

So now that I have shot this gaping hole in my foot, realistically speaking, how in the hell can I get a smog pass on this thing?

I have one guy interested in my car who claims he knows someone who can smog pass it with a CARB legal intake, another who told me it's the tune that's the biggest problem.

I'm desperate for information here on what I can possibly do. Will gladly compensate anyone who can help me with this. It's been such a stressful ordeal for me these last few months and I literally have no idea what my options are here.

Also, I fully realize what a short sighted decision I made with this car 5 years ago when I did these mods and being in California. I don't even drive the car anymore as I've since paid it off and it just stays in the garage, only 40,000 miles and in pristine condition and soon I won't be able to even register or drive it.... :yikes:

Thank you kindly. I mean really, any info is extremely appreciated.

Its actually quite simple. First, you'll need to flash back to stock or stage 1. Then since your dont have your stock DP, youll need a O2 spacer (vibrant is highly recommended) installed the spacer pointing to the front of the car. if you have vcds you can set readiness if not youll need to driving it around for 100 miles or so.

Lastly, most importantly if they do a visual inspection then youll fail automatically if not youll get away with it and then flash back to stage 2.

torga

Autocross Champion
Its actually quite simple. First, you'll need to flash back to stock or stage 1. Then since your dont have your stock DP, youll need a O2 spacer (vibrant is highly recommended) installed the spacer pointing to the front of the car. if you have vcds you can set readiness if not youll need to driving it around for 100 miles or so.

Lastly, most importantly if they do a visual inspection then youll fail automatically if not youll get away with it and then flash back to stage 2.
OP, specifically the Vibrant J-style 11619 O2 spacer.

And if none of that works, your only option is finding a used OEM downpipe somewhere and swapping it in for smog day (flashing back to stock or Stage 1 as well, of course).

On a tangential note, how are you liking Stage 2 with GIAC? I'm running their Stage 1+ and I'll be flashing to Stage 2 in a couple of weeks.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Most places I've been to actually do the visual inspection so once they see your down pipe they will instantly tell you to come back. Ive seen guys loan out DPs on the Cali VW Facebook groups before.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
You will need to borrow or buy an OEM downpipe can't pass visual without it.
You will need a VCDS cable to check readiness.
You may not have to switch tunes, no real reason why GIAC stg2 shouldn't pass. With VCDS you can try it and see.

- and your intake won't pass. Only K&N and Neuspeed have taken time and spent money to get CARB numbers for their intakes. Again, borrow or buy, or go back to stock.

shadax

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, specifically the Vibrant J-style 11619 O2 spacer.

And if none of that works, your only option is finding a used OEM downpipe somewhere and swapping it in for smog day (flashing back to stock or Stage 1 as well, of course).

On a tangential note, how are you liking Stage 2 with GIAC? I'm running their Stage 1+ and I'll be flashing to Stage 2 in a couple of weeks.

Hey Torga,

I absolutely love the GIAC Stage II tune. Launches great and has a nice pull even when WOT from cruising speed. Combined with the intake+exhaust setup and the DV+ it makes the turbo sound sooooo good. You'll love it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Thanks for your input! Can't wait.