GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uglybastard's hardwired radar detector setup

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I've mentioned a handful of times over the years about my hardwired radar detector setup, and after recently seeing so many people using the cigarette lighter adapter to power the device that need very little power... Here we go, a review of the setup since i have been running this setup or something like it for years now on my Valentine One.

Parts:

Radar detector (Valentine One but a comparable setup can be used with others...)
suction cup mount (found this one on Amazon) - http://a.co/d/1wP4vot
Fuse tap - http://a.co/d/g8H02lR
direct wire power cord - http://a.co/d/aWhTY3Y

Here's my windshield mount. Note the high location for decreased vision blockage. I ran the wire directly to my fusebox, running along the windshield under the headliner, down the A pillar, along the seam where the A pillar terminates into the dash, and into the fuse box panel.

i wrapped the wire once around the mirror, and wrapped a few rounds of electrical tape around the wire, making it thick enough to serve as an anchor in the headliner. then i used a pry tool to stuff the wire along the previously described path.

I stripped the wire attachments of the other end of the wiring to add the fuse tap. I'm a fan of the "two hooks and twist" method of splicing - if you do this, do as you please. wrapped the splice in electrical tape. grounded to bare metal:

I used a switched fuse, for the rear wiper in slot 41:

Excess wire can tuck into the fuse box. Open to questions if you got 'em. i'll try to get some better pics in here this weekend.

I used this map of the fusebox to figure out what fuse to use: https://www.autogenius.info/volkswagen-golf-mk6-gti-fuse-box/ . using something not switched will drain your battery.

I really like the setup - If you run any of the accessories it's pretty easy to add them to this setup and keep it pretty clean.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I just used the clip that came with the V1, snapped it onto the wire, and plugged the V1 power cable onto it. I'm lazy and it didn't require as much work lol

I think I used the third fuse over, but any of them will work as long as it only gives power when the key is in the ignition.

The fuse taps are an awesome/easy way to do anything that needs hardwiring though. A dashcam install is essentially the same.

Your links at the top need some fixing btw

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I just used the clip that came with the V1, snapped it onto the wire, and plugged the V1 power cable onto it. I'm lazy and it didn't require as much work lol

I think I used the third fuse over, but any of them will work as long as it only gives power when the key is in the ignition.

The fuse taps are an awesome/easy way to do anything that needs hardwiring though. A dashcam install is essentially the same.

Your links at the top need some fixing btw

Yeah not a fan of those clips. To each their own.

Are you talking about the Amazon links? They worked for me....

Edit: yeah I see the issue. Will fix tomorrow.

jkdiver

Thanks for the clear explanation dude, very helpful and much appreciated.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My fuse that's built into the wire that comes from valentine blew this morning. I heard the radar make an error noise as I was shutting the engine off and getting out of the car so I'm sure that's when the fuse blew. I don't know if that was just a fluke or what happened though...

I called V1 and they recommended me I try a different fuse slot, one that takes a lower amp, like a 5, but then the guy admitted he's never used an add-a-circuit though. I'm not sure his advice will help anything, but I can give it a shot I guess.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
what amp fuses did you have in there? which slot is that you have in there? cant tell on the pic

That pic isn't actually my pic, I just stole it off in the internet because I'm lazy.

Mine is 1 slot to the right where you have yours, the 20 on the end. I put the 20 in the top slot, and a 2 in the bottom slot.