GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Wow, anyone still alive?

So I put my snows on 2 weeks ago, and then quickly backed the boost down to around 20-22psi to give the tires a chance in third, which still didn't help. Yesterday, my meth tank kept telling me it was low, and although I have a fresh 5 gallon's of M1, it's sealed so I figured I'd leave it sealed until next year as I won't be driving the GTI a whole lot during the winter.

Long story short, I turned the meth off, bypassed the failsafe so I can still drive it, and edited the tune to pull like 10 degrees of timing out up top compared to my regular file....

Holy fuck is it slow now. End Story.

Nice, I just sold me snows to someone but I've gone through the winter transition for years now as well, still kept meth on in winter ha.

lol yeah, waiting for my stuff to come in. we are getting more active on fb than here lately.

kind of nervous though because the ebc was supposed to be delivered today and tracking shows that it's still "in transit"...hmm.

I wouldn't be nervous, there were delays in the South with shipping, if it shows in transit you're good, it's just a delay. Example of one carrier: http://www.fedex.com/us/servicealerts/

wheres the fb group at?

MK6 Performance Builds
TSI Big Turbo
FSI Big Turbo
4 Cylinder Performance
I'm sure I'm missing a few, I can text you a screen shot of ton of groups

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'll chime in after Nick with an update...

-Fuel rail leak fixed
-P226 code popped up from the GFB DV+ with the main spring, took the passenger side apart to get to the DV on the EFR7163, pulled the spring and re-installed. Very soon I'll have a new DV option you guys may like...
-MAP sensor voltage too low code popped up again. I wrestled with this decision for a while, but after having electrical issues for the past few years (randomly blown multiple 3 bar and 2.5bar MAP sensors, one N75, one bank 1 02 sensor) I decided to remove the Aquamist connections to the ECU wiring harness. There’s nothing else I can think of that could fry MAP sensors other than the wiring job we did years ago to install Aquamist. Tonight I’ll install a new MAP sensor since and will test with a second ECU I flashed with Eurodyne (had an old Driver Motorsport K04 file which never worked).

In terms of water meth, I decided to try simplifying the fuel control and have the two Bosch twin spray port injectors and Aquamist water meth pump controlled by my Torqbyte CM5-LT unit (up to 4 PWM outputs). I’ll be re-using the Aquamist FAV to maintain a constant pump pressure but will lose the Aquamist flow sensor and level sensor in the gauge. With the two Bosch twin spray port injectors I should have more than enough fuel volume needed for the EFR 7163 turbo. At that point methanol would strictly be a conditioning agent for octane and cooling and the failsafe would be irrelevant.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
thanks for the links guys!

any pros to going top mount? saw a guy selling a tubular top mount manifold and thinking of switching from my cts to this.

not sure if i wanna drop the cash just yet

aside from different piping routing.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I'll update.

After wrestling back and forth forever over selling my car vs. dumping more money in it, I decided on the later.

I bought a new AEM 380lph pmp for the surge tank, Eurodyne Meastro, and some miscellaneous odds and ends. Hoping to actually button everything up this winter, and finally dyno my car in the spring. Hoping g 500whp is on the table with my lowly gtx3071r.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I'll update.

After wrestling back and forth forever over selling my car vs. dumping more money in it, I decided on the later.

I bought a new AEM 380lph pmp for the surge tank, Eurodyne Meastro, and some miscellaneous odds and ends. Hoping to actually button everything up this winter, and finally dyno my car in the spring. Hoping g 500whp is on the table with my lowly gtx3071r.

If you don't make 500whp something is seriously wrong.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Anyone want to buy an ATP gtx2867r stock location kit? $1800 shipped in the lower 48

Lol, I'd be one to bite but I'm still a few years out from pulling the trigger on a turbo kit. Ever dyno that thing?

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
My only update is wishing I had launch control, could be so much faster lol

Gonna be switching to UM at some point

I may be wrong but I don't think launch control does anything for us DSG guys other than disengage the clutch so we can rev as if we were depressing the clutchina manual. Does it also modify dif lock or TC settings or something? I feel like if you have the tires for it you would be better off not using launch control so you can actually build boost off the line rather than just RPM.

Perhaps I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the system though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I may be wrong but I don't think launch control does anything for us DSG guys other than disengage the clutch so we can rev as if we were depressing the clutchina manual. Does it also modify dif lock or TC settings or something? I feel like if you have the tires for it you would be better off not using launch control so you can actually build boost off the line rather than just RPM.

Perhaps I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the system though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a manual.

But regardless of trans it should still do fuel/timing magic to make boost, and then if you have a DSG I'm assuming some variation of slipping the clutch(es) to launch.