GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Griffin Motorwerkes in Berkeley issues.... (and warning)

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Yup. Same, and they said mine was one of the first they'd done. Eurocode in Torrance. Good dudes.

They were one of the ones I called haha.

Well Griffin called back and apologized for not having the right info, and said they would work on the price for me to keep my business. On one hand, I appreciate the apology and supposed discount. But I have three businesses and never give bids or quotes without all the info, so the fact that he at first argued with me that it HAD to be done that way until I proved him wrong makes me iffy.

Called Tomas, he said $50 an that's it. No tax, no shop fee, just a fifty bill and half hour of time. Even tho I may spend more money, I think I'm going to go to Tomas anyway. They seem more organized and knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

trd420

Go Kart Champion
They were one of the ones I called haha.

Well Griffin called back and apologized for not having the right info, and said they would work on the price for me to keep my business. On one hand, I appreciate the apology and supposed discount. But I have three businesses and never give bids or quotes without all the info, so the fact that he at first argued with me that it HAD to be done that way until I proved him wrong makes me iffy.

Called Tomas, he said $50 an that's it. No tax, no shop fee, just a fifty bill and half hour of time. Even tho I may spend more money, I think I'm going to go to Tomas anyway. They seem more organized and knowledgeable.

Tomas FTW

webber

Ready to race!
i'm going to Tomas Sports next monday too to have my revo stage 1 tuned !! looking forward to see the difference in my car !!

Giddy GirL

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had zero issues with them.

Was this your 1st encounter with Griffin? Perhaps you should speak to the owner instead of bashing a shop because of 1 bad incident.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I suggest you give griffin a call and tell them straight out how you feel instead of putting them on blast. FYI the SPX unit has been out for 2 years. Its not anything "new"

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
I've had zero issues with them.

Was this your 1st encounter with Griffin? Perhaps you should speak to the owner instead of bashing a shop because of 1 bad incident.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I suggest you give griffin a call and tell them straight out how you feel instead of putting them on blast. FYI the SPX unit has been out for 2 years. Its not anything "new"

This is my fourth run in with them. I know the owner, the head Revo tech and his most knowledgable Revo tech. Both said the same. I have given them three chances now. I did not up them on blast, I merely told my story with my opinion added. The reason my opinion of them is such is because with all three of my businesses, I never give a quote for work without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I could say I think it's this way, and if so its this much. But curly said it is this much, and argued with me that I was wrong. Therefore my opinion stands.

He called an apologized, but that was yet another strike against them. I appreciated the apology but I'm done with them.

Also, I know the spx is nothing new, but Tomas wasn't on their spx dealer map until max four months ago. So I don't know if thy had it and weren't listed, or just got it.

Congrats on not having issues with them. I however have had issues and will now be taking my business elsewhere.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Well it seems that someone sent this thread to griffin. Lol got a personal email from someone there. I have yet to respond but will after this. My opinion still stands.

I appreciate the apology. They genuinely didn't know. However they are taking this as a personal attack. It's just a story of my recent exchange, with my personal opinion thrown in. People are entitled to their opinions, even if you don't agree with them. I apologize if this sounded mean or hurtful towards griffin, but facts are facts and that's my story.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: spoke to Griffin again about 10 minutes ago. apologized again, he offered to cover the upgrade. I told him the purpose of this thread was to raise awareness of POSSIBLE business practices
They either don't know what they are doing, or maliciously and literally stealing money from customers.
or just didnt know.

Turns out they just didnt know. I explained how i quote customers, he agreed he should have done the same. so now we are common ground. I told him we would work a deal as it was not my intention to profit off a review. I am fully willing to pay for the upgrade, and we agreed we would work out a deal.

Downpipe comes tomorrow :mad0259: not today, so it won't be installed until monday :mad0259: which pushes the stage 2 tune out to late next week :mad0259: so i'll update then.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: How these people are still in business is beyond me.

I have been riding on my stage 1 tune with a downpipe for the entire summer. I had traffic court yesterday morning in walnut creek, figured I'd hop over to Berkeley to get updated to stage 2 real quick. I once made an appointment to come in about 2 months back, nd i CONFIRMED that there was no labor charge, they just hook up the Revo cable and let it sit for a half hour or so.

Well, I call, they say they can do it (this is at 9am right when they open), so I drive over and get there in ten minutes. Tell them I'm the one that called and they get started on a work order. Counter-guy (CG from here) tells me the Revo charge and labor. WHAT? Oh yea, its a minimum half hour, possible hour or two. WHATTHEFUCK FOR? CG: well, we drive it, test it, check everything. Me: well, i dont want you to do any of that, just the flash thanks. CG: sorry we can't do that.

OK, this is bogus. Tomas doesn't charge any labor. I told them this and they gave me a blank look like they didnt care. I called Tomas and explained all this, they said their Revo cable is broken, but when they get it back they'll give me a discounted flash and free labor for my trouble (since I live so "far" away). I explained this to CG and company, even offered to pay $20 labor since I was already there. They declined.

In summation, if I could rename the title of this thread, I would go with:

DO NOT EVER GO TO GRIFFIN MOTORWERKES!!

I tried to stay away from personal attacks but this is ridiculous. They are arrogant assholes that want the quick bucks from unsuspecting customers. The only reason I went there for stage 2 is because I have the unfortunate customer history of getting stage 1 done there, and would like to keep my cars history in one location. If Tomas had been on the SPX locater when I got stage 1, I would have gone there. I will definitely be going to Tomas for anything Revo, or something that 034 cannot take care of.

Revo NEEDS to drop them as an installer. They make me regret going the Revo route, hopefully Tomas can reassure me that this was the right choice. I will be forwarding this to Revo HQ, the Revo rep here, Griffin, and anyone else I think needs to read it.

EDIT: In addition to the bogus labor and them going back on what they've told me earlier (I even have an email from them offering a completely free flash after my review from before), I'm upset over the lost time driving out, the extra gas, and everything that goes along with a wasted two hours sitting in traffic going to work late. They didn't apologize for misleading me and couldn't give two craps that I was going to take my business elsewhere. RRRRR. I'm getting worked up just typing all this out.

Last edited:

trd420

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: How these people are still in business is beyond me.

I have been riding on my stage 1 tune with a downpipe for the entire summer. I had traffic court yesterday morning in walnut creek, figured I'd hop over to Berkeley to get updated to stage 2 real quick. I once made an appointment to come in about 2 months back, nd i CONFIRMED that there was no labor charge, they just hook up the Revo cable and let it sit for a half hour or so.

Well, I call, they say they can do it (this is at 9am right when they open), so I drive over and get there in ten minutes. Tell them I'm the one that called and they get started on a work order. Counter-guy (CG from here) tells me the Revo charge and labor. WHAT? Oh yea, its a minimum half hour, possible hour or two. WHATTHEFUCK FOR? CG: well, we drive it, test it, check everything. Me: well, i dont want you to do any of that, just the flash thanks. CG: sorry we can't do that.

OK, this is bogus. Tomas doesn't charge any labor. I told them this and they gave me a blank look like they didnt care. I called Tomas and explained all this, they said their Revo cable is broken, but when they get it back they'll give me a discounted flash and free labor for my trouble (since I live so "far" away). I explained this to CG and company, even offered to pay $20 labor since I was already there. They declined.

In summation, if I could rename the title of this thread, I would go with:

DO NOT EVER GO TO GRIFFIN MOTORWERKES!!

I tried to stay away from personal attacks but this is ridiculous. They are arrogant assholes that want the quick bucks from unsuspecting customers. The only reason I went there for stage 2 is because I have the unfortunate customer history of getting stage 1 done there, and would like to keep my cars history in one location. If Tomas had been on the SPX locater when I got stage 1, I would have gone there. I will definitely be going to Tomas for anything Revo, or something that 034 cannot take care of.

Revo NEEDS to drop them as an installer. They make me regret going the Revo route, hopefully Tomas can reassure me that this was the right choice. I will be forwarding this to Revo HQ, the Revo rep here, Griffin, and anyone else I think needs to read it.

EDIT: In addition to the bogus labor and them going back on what they've told me earlier (I even have an email from them offering a completely free flash after my review from before), I'm upset over the lost time driving out, the extra gas, and everything that goes along with a wasted two hours sitting in traffic going to work late. They didn't apologize for misleading me and couldn't give two craps that I was going to take my business elsewhere. RRRRR. I'm getting worked up just typing all this out.

Wow haven't seen you on the forum in hella long :laugh:.

PS i know they suck. I only take my car to 4 places VW dealer, 034, Tomas, Sonic MS.

JhnR

Banned
Dude, call the BBB file a complaint, call Revo, file a complaint.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
PS i know they suck. I only take my car to 4 places VW dealer, 034, Tomas, Sonic MS.

Sorry for your trouble omg. That sucks.

Agree on the local shops though... Sonic and 034 are solid.

Ain't been to Tomas yet but I might try them for my unibrace xb install if I can get some time out of work to get up there soon. Kind of a hike, but Bruce@UB himself recommended them, so hey.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I was shopping for stage1 a while back and Griffin has the crappiest customer service. The Guy was not only unenthusiastic to talk with me but also showed a lack of knowledge. Like you said here to upgrade to stage 2 the shop claimed they needed to open the Ecu again. I said isn't it once you crack it once its done? He said nope everytime you need to reflash you gotta do this. Just by hearing that I dropped this shop from my list. Despite Revo being cheaper I'll give in and save for APR's more reputable dealers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Wow haven't seen you on the forum in hella long :laugh:.

yea i know. took the summer off to focus on other stuff lol. 034 is freaking awesome. love going there. i imagine my first physical visit to tomas will be the same.

Dude, call the BBB file a complaint, call Revo, file a complaint.

done and done

Sorry for your trouble omg. That sucks.

Agree on the local shops though... Sonic and 034 are solid.

Ain't been to Tomas yet but I might try them for my unibrace xb install if I can get some time out of work to get up there soon. Kind of a hike, but Bruce@UB himself recommended them, so hey.

from what i understand, tomas is the shop the unibraces were designed and developed at. i had an xb at one point, but the price they were charging to install was more than the cost of the xb. so i sold it and got a ub. still wouldnt mind an xb but thatll have to wait for a while. o well.

I was shopping for stage1 a while back and Griffin has the crappiest customer service. The Guy was not only unenthusiastic to talk with me but also showed a lack of knowledge. Like you said here to upgrade to stage 2 the shop claimed they needed to open the Ecu again. I said isn't it once you crack it once its done? He said nope everytime you need to reflash you gotta do this. Just by hearing that I dropped this shop from my list. Despite Revo being cheaper I'll give in and save for APR's more reputable dealers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

that would be curly. kindof an ass. doesnt give a shit about customers. i think they are starting an online store so he (and by extension the shop) dont really care about physical customers anymore. told him i was going to tomas and didnt bat an eye. no one else there, he just lost on his only customer for that hour. again, surprised the shop is in business, but even more surprised he still has a job there. if he were my employee, he would have been gone some time ago.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
With Revo, its a $50 charge for the stage 2 tune. Not a big deal, still over $150 cheaper than APR,

Umm APR does software upgrades for free, how is that not cheaper than Revo's $50? Your math is backwards there.