GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fluid Leak Front of Motor

Skivvy9r

Ready to race!
I have fluid leaking in the front of the engine. The pan below the radiator is catching it. Too thin for motor oil, but viscous, so not coolant. If I had to guess, I'd say brake fluid, but it seems an odd place for brake fluid to show up. Taking it to the dealer on Monday. It'll sit until then. Any thoughts?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Are you sure it's not condensation from having the A/C on?

That usually drips from underneath the chassis behind the front right wheel, as that's where the condenser is. And, condensation is water...

Front of engine block, hmm.

Maybe it's the torque leaking out of your engine. :p

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Sounds like one of your headlights is leaking fluid.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
That usually drips from underneath the chassis behind the front right wheel, as that's where the condenser is. And, condensation is water...

Front of engine block, hmm.

Maybe it's the torque leaking out of your engine. :p

I realize condensation is water, thanks. The reason I said that is because he doesn't say if it's coloured or not. He just says a fluid.

Skivvy9r

Ready to race!
Are you sure it's not condensation from having the A/C on?

Yes. Too thick for water, too thin for motor oil. Left a good size stain on driveway. 24hrs later the stain is starting to fade. Again, guessing brake fluid but location seems wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

GPM

Ready to race!
My guess is coolant. And that your water pump is failing. That's where mine leaked.

Candy11

Ready to race!
Water pump. Our coolant is different from most cars. I don't think it even smells like syrup either.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Check your thermostat gasket and assembly too. Known issue along with water pump. Mine was leaking an so have other friends. Replaced it during my build. It's tucked in there so hard to see without rad assembly pulled.

Skivvy9r

Ready to race!
After two days at the dealer, they were unable to determine the source of the coolant leak. They acknowledged there was coolant in the drip pan and did several tests but were unable to reproduce the leak.

The car leaked in my driveway after sitting there undriven for a week. Maybe it was just looking for attention.

GPM

Ready to race!
After two days at the dealer, they were unable to determine the source of the coolant leak. They acknowledged there was coolant in the drip pan and did several tests but were unable to reproduce the leak.

The car leaked in my driveway after sitting there undriven for a week. Maybe it was just looking for attention.

Same experience with my first trip to the dealer. Be patient, it will leak again, and it will be a failing water pump.

pciexp

I noticed there was fluid leak in the front of my car's engine yesterday. The fluid is light brownish/pinkish and it is collected in the drip pan just under the radiator. Do you have an update on what the dealer found in your car?