GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On your worst year, how much headache did the car cause you?

somerset91

Ready to race!
In the market for a low-ish mileage (62k) GTI. Upfront cost will be less than that of a mk7, but repair bills will be coming sooner.

As the title state, how much headache (and financial hemorrhage) did your GTI cause you?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
New tensioner and chain just cost me $1650 at an indie shop. I wasn't having an issue, just replaced it with upgraded parts before something failed.

somerset91

Ready to race!
New tensioner and chain just cost me $1650 at an indie shop. I wasn't having an issue, just replaced it with upgraded parts before something failed.

Did you get some kind of reimbursement from VW?
I talked to a dealership, looks like extended warranty is only good for 10y/120k miles (meaning I only have 4y/60k miles) and only if something breaks.

This years been the worst for me. Kinda went full into making it a racecar. It was down for 11 months and an absolute moneypit. Just got it back on the road last week.

Are the expenditures because it's a racecar? I.e. I have no plans to modify it extensively (short shifter, intake, and trans mount is as far as I'm going to go).

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I talked to a dealership, looks like extended warranty is only good for 10y/120k miles (meaning I only have 4y/60k miles) and only if something breaks.

Are the expenditures because it's a racecar? I.e. I have no plans to modify it extensively (short shifter, intake, and trans mount is as far as I'm going to go).

Yeah mostly. The car has been fairly reliable otherwise.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

Nah, I don't really have the right paperwork and service records to be reimbursed.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
This May valve spring snapped into injector...replaced whole new engine. Guess i shall keep the car until it dies a second time around!

£7200 for engine and labor.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I've had mine just over a year. Got it at 90k miles and currently at 112k. Had new clutch put in (mostly because of future power goals, although mine was slipping), recently did a full timing chain service due to stretch. Cost me about $900 in parts and tools, honestly not that hard of a job, just make sure to triple check everything and you'll be good, plenty of good resources out there. Most recently has been carbon cleaning this past weekend. Cost me $25 in injector seals, which I ended up not needing since none came out, and $15 in carb cleaner and CLR to clean off the valves. None of these actually caused issues, more just preventative maintenance and besides that the car has been great, definitely a money pit from all the mods though and i'm just getting started.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I think the modifications bring out the worst in these cars more than anything lol. Other than my waterpump going at like 7 or 9k miles from new and obviously covered, everything else was on me and my doing by adding mods/tune. So I probably wouldn't even know how reliable these cars are if it wasn't modded. I also had a PCV failure that was also covered under warranty around 23k miles...

The mods you mentioned, short shifter, intake, and trans mount I don't think will bring any negative to other parts would cause an issue. Although I do not have trans mounts... I've had a Diesel Geek Short Throw Shifter since around 11k miles and it's been flawless. Intake since going Stg2 at around 28k with no issues. If I had to recommend an intake btw for sound, IE FTW!! :thumbup: It is looooud.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
This year I did a full timing chain replacement. $700 in parts plus all the tools required and a couple days in the garage. Def don't want to do that again

smanierre

Autocross Champion
This year I did a full timing chain replacement. $700 in parts plus all the tools required and a couple days in the garage. Def don't want to do that again

Really? I didn't think it was that bad and definitely better than paying a shit ton for a dealer to do it. If I make it to 200k i'm definitely doing it myself again, woulda only been 10 hours if it wasn't for my oil chain tensioner breaking because I didn't pin it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Really? I didn't think it was that bad and definitely better than paying a shit ton for a dealer to do it. If I make it to 200k i'm definitely doing it myself again, woulda only been 10 hours if it wasn't for my oil chain tensioner breaking because I didn't pin it.

It really wasn't that bad. The hardest part for me was just getting the chain back on and aligned with he markings. Kept popping off. Took a few hours to finally get it on. Also I got really sick that weekend and was working in a garage on jackstands with limited space so that made it worse. I could do it much faster next time.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Air conditioner failed one year. ~$1700 at an independent shop to replace the compressor, condenser, and a couple other items. The upside being that it works exceptionally well now.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It really wasn't that bad. The hardest part for me was just getting the chain back on and aligned with he markings. Kept popping off. Took a few hours to finally get it on. Also I got really sick that weekend and was working in a garage on jackstands with limited space so that made it worse. I could do it much faster next time.

Maybe I got lucky then, didn't have the chain pop off once on me. Only issue was the crank mark didn't line up initially so I had to spin it independently of the cams which worried me a bit but once it was all hooked up I spun the engine a few times and nothing hit so I sent it.