GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has had a cracked downpipe?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Left from what vantage point? Left as in (lefthand drive, US, Germany and any other "normal" country) driver side left or if you're in front of the car passenger side left?

Left as if you are looking at the engine from the back.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I guess no leak for me! Yay!!!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I had both a cracked manifold stud (in that exact spot) and 2 cracked downpipes. All this robotic welded nonsense is aggravating. Either the motor mounts are too stiff and its from vibrations, or they're too soft and it's from excessive movement. Lose-lose. Saving up for either an APR downpipe or going to fork over $$ for 42DD to make me one.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I had both a cracked manifold stud (in that exact spot) and 2 cracked downpipes. All this robotic welded nonsense is aggravating. Either the motor mounts are too stiff and its from vibrations, or they're too soft and it's from excessive movement. Lose-lose. Saving up for either an APR downpipe or going to fork over $$ for 42DD to make me one.

I think mine cracked from vibrations. Or when installing the bushings. Still haven't had the opportunity to drop my DP yet, car is my daily.
If it's a messed up exhaust manifold again I'll probably just buy a K04 in January.

Got a coolant leak to deal with first. Hoping it's not the water pump, gonna derail my black Friday mod buying plans.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
After installing my downpipe perfectly the first time, I wanted to adjust the exhaust collars to the stock exhaust (I was OCDing and just wanted the clamps to face a certain way). When I loosened them, the downpipe made considerable movement. It appears that the downpipe had to "settle in" after a few heat cycles. This tells me had I not loosened the exhaust clamps, the downpipe would have been torqued a certain way; putting pressure on the bolts to the turbo studs.