GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

End of Warranty - oil Change

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
So the end of my manufacturer warranty is coming, and i don't much care, as i am very comfortable doing my own car maintenance. ;)

I do however have a question for the users here as to the ECS oil change kit, with the aluminum oil filter housing and also considering getting a fumoto valve to make the entire process as easy/clean as possible.

Does anyone on here have experience with the ECS stuff; fumoto valve?

Is there perhaps another brand/type of equivalent equipment i should be looking at?

Thanks,

#madRussian

xpystchrisx

GTI Enthusiast
I'm new here but I'll chime in on the Fumoto valve.
Skip it.
It's a cool idea, but if you're like me you'll like knowing that you've got as much of the dirty oil out of your engine as possible. This is with the understanding that you'll never get it all.
With my previous car, a Mazdaspeed 3, I had the valve installed and it never quite finished draining during a change. I figure it raises the oil drain level up approximately 2mm. This is just enough to leave the build up that you want out of the oil pan, behind. On my last change I found myself pouring 1/2 a quart of cheap dyno oil through the motor to flush out the remaining garbage in the oil pan.
Save yourself the 30 to 40 that it'll cost you and use normal drain plugs with new crush washers.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I have the ECS aluminum filter housing. It fits fine. The only gripe I have is that its drain plug torque is higher than the torque of the housing itself, which may explain why I can't loosen the drain. I suggest being mindful of that if you buy it.

I also have a Fumoto, the nipple version. I have no complaints with it. I am not aware of it sitting 2mm higher than the OEM plug -- that seems unlikely to me. If one is that concerned about it, they can buy a MityVac or similar.

xpystchrisx

GTI Enthusiast
This was my experience on my MS3, not sure how the drain plug is situated on the R. I've not yet done my first oil change as I just got it Tuesday.

TooFunky

Bozz, chris didn't say the plug sat higher than the oem one.
He said it raises the oil drain level by 2mm, as in, it sticks out the other side slightly.
Where as when you do a change using the oem one you remove the plug so there is no thread sticking out inside.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Bozz, chris didn't say the plug sat higher than the oem one.
He said it raises the oil drain level by 2mm, as in, it sticks out the other side slightly.
Where as when you do a change using the oem one you remove the plug so there is no thread sticking out inside.

"Sticks out the other side slightly" ?? What does that mean?

I fail to see the point made on the 2mm.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
I think what he is trying to say is the drain hole in the fumoto valve sits higher than the OEM drain hole. Look at the pictures of the Fumoto valve and you'll understand why.

zrickety

The Fixer
The valve is just something else to leak or break. I like the stock drain plug or magnetic plug with aluminum washers. I haven't had any issues for years.

ToucanLife

Ready to race!
The valve is just something else to leak or break. I like the stock drain plug or magnetic plug with aluminum washers. I haven't had any issues for years.

Agreed - adding another failure point to the system. Is it really that hard / messy to unscrew a bolt?:confused:

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to just get the aluminum housing and the magnetic bolt and call it a day. at the end of the day its not THAT messy unscrewing a bolt.

on a side note, the dealer has used castrol full synth for the oil changes, but personally i'm not a huge fan on that oil brand... is there one thats more widely used in the community?

#madRussian

bebersol

Ready to race!
So the end of my manufacturer warranty is coming, and i don't much care, as i am very comfortable doing my own car maintenance. ;)

I do however have a question for the users here as to the ECS oil change kit, with the aluminum oil filter housing and also considering getting a fumoto valve to make the entire process as easy/clean as possible.

Does anyone on here have experience with the ECS stuff; fumoto valve?

Is there perhaps another brand/type of equivalent equipment i should be looking at?

Thanks,
#madRussian

I have the ECStuning Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing, I'll sell it to you for $50. I used it for 1 oil change 5,000 mi.

robotvoice

Even using the normal drain plug you'll never get 100% of the oil out of your engine during an oil change. I've used the Fumoto valve in the past and it works great, never leaked or broke off. People who over-torque the valve or forget to put the supplied gasket on usually have problems with leaks. If the couple of MM of the valve protruding into the pan bother you that much, just file the valve down some.

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the Fumoto valve on my R, oil changes are very slow!!! but the valve works as described, no leaks. It might leave some oil in the pan I could see that. Personally I won't install another one. just my thoughts.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I have the ECStuning Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing, I'll sell it to you for $50. I used it for 1 oil change 5,000 mi.

Had some problems?