GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CLUTCH PEDAL NOISE WHEN CLUTCHING IN AND OUT

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Hi All,

On my 2011 6MT GTI, I am experiencing the following; when I push down the clutch pedal, it squeaks... and when I release, it squeaks as well. This squeak has been getting louder. Doesn't seem to stop.

This squeak comes from the driver side cabin, from the clutch pedal*****

I was told to spray some lube/grease to stop the squeak, anyone done this?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Sounds like it could be the throwout bearing

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Pabloco

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the very same problem in late 2017 on my TDI; that squeak drove me nuts! Made me hate driving a MT for a few weeks. After several failed lube attempts myself, I spoke to my local dealer, thinking it might be a bearing. They sprayed some allegedly really expensive grease ($40+/can) into the shaft and I've been like-new since (6+ months). They did it for me for free, but if it comes back I'll be buying some to do it myself in future. Check with your dealer.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like it could be the throwout bearing

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I heard it can be the TOB, but I just got the clutch replaced 1.5 years ago; the car is tuned (Unitronic Stage2), I’ll get it checked out for sure. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I had the very same problem in late 2017 on my TDI; that squeak drove me nuts! Made me hate driving a MT for a few weeks. After several failed lube attempts myself, I spoke to my local dealer, thinking it might be a bearing. They sprayed some allegedly really expensive grease ($40+/can) into the shaft and I've been like-new since (6+ months). They did it for me for free, but if it comes back I'll be buying some to do it myself in future. Check with your dealer.

Yes! It’s so damn annoying. I’m going to get it checked out for sure. Thank you all.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Its either the TOB or the clutch pedal its self. Usually its the TOB if it only happens in 1st/reverse and it loud.

If the squeaky noise is present with every clutch press its probably just the pedal. My clutch pedal squeaks only really warm days.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Its either the TOB or the clutch pedal its self. Usually its the TOB if it only happens in 1st/reverse and it loud.

If the squeaky noise is present with every clutch press its probably just the pedal. My clutch pedal squeaks only really warm days.

I got a new clutch installed on my MK6 GTI. the stage 2 SB daily clutch kit with lightweight fly wheel. The squeal was still there and it turned out to be the bushing in/on the clutch pedal assembly. I got it fixed and now it only squeals during warm hot days.
I just don’t let it bother me anymore. I can go ahead and change the bushing but I rather not... it’s not that bad. I guess I got used to it by now

vannoj

If yours is the same as mine it's something in the how the clutch pedal is mounted inside the cabin. Mine only does this when it start to get hot usually 85 degrees or warmer. I've looked under the steering wheel to see if there's a good way to take pedal out and lubricate the pivot point, but gave up on it. I think I'm going to just try to shoot some silicone spray or something at it and see if it helps.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
If yours is the same as mine it's something in the how the clutch pedal is mounted inside the cabin. Mine only does this when it start to get hot usually 85 degrees or warmer. I've looked under the steering wheel to see if there's a good way to take pedal out and lubricate the pivot point, but gave up on it. I think I'm going to just try to shoot some silicone spray or something at it and see if it helps.

Yes! That’s what it is. It’s inside the cabin. I’ve been told it’s a pedal bushing. I quit trying to fix it. I just let it be.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Yes! That’s what it is. It’s inside the cabin. I’ve been told it’s a pedal bushing. I quit trying to fix it. I just let it be.

lol, I asked my mechanic to fix it...he didn't want to touch it. I tried to fix it myself...it's a total pain in the ass.

I'm gonna get myself a ratchet wrench and wait for the weather to cool down and I think I'll be able to do it. I plan on removing the bolt completely, greasing that shit up really good, and reinstall it.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Resurrecting this thread to save my ears. Uploaded video below. Is this the clutch master cylinder, slide pin bolt, or the spring above it? Everything seems well greased up already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Possible causes: TOB, flywheel related, or master cylinder issue.