GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to take care of my baby

alzaeem

I've owned a 2010 MK6 GTI for almost two years now, and while I absolutely love my car, I have done a mediocre job taking care of it. Mostly because I'm reluctant to risk mechanics I don't know/trust, plus laziness, so eventually I just end up going to dealership (Don Valley VW) when service is a must.

I piled up a few things on my wishlist. I'll list them here by priority order more or less, and hope to get some input from you guys. I also hope to make this site part of my internet routine in the future to become more knowledgeable. So without further ado, here's my list:

1. Tires. My front tires are all-seasons that I bought brand new just over a year ago, and the rear tires are summer/all-seasons in bad shape. I went through last winter with this setup without incident, but I shouldn't take any more risks. I could get two more new all-seasons, and use them for winter and beyond. Or go with a winter set as safest option. I drive in GTA.

2. Minor body work. The other day I noticed a hit to the lower left of the rear bumper. A**hole didn't leave a note or anything. Needs some paint, and putting bumper back in place (but no dents). I'm mostly worried about the exposed metal spots rusting.

3. 60K DSG service is coming up soon. Dealer quoted me some $600+ if I remember correctly. So far all car service was done by dealers. I don't know if that's something worth keeping, or better find a top notch mechanic that I can rely on for the future.

4. Golf R tail lights. I love the look. WAAAANT!!

5. 18" wheels. Currently have stock 17". I love the stock chome 18" wheels, with the circular shaped cuts. I could go for non stock as well. This also influences the tires decision.

6. Stage 1 tuning. Sounds tempting. I don't have manufacturer's warranty anyway.

7. HID headlights (my car is a base US model, which comes with fluorescent bulbs as standard, same as a Golf). Also, LEDs would be nice.

So yeah it's a long list. I think 1 to 4 are a must, 5 could be combined with 1 if done right, and 6 and 7 will probably remain on the wishlist. Any recommendations on good places for mechanic service/repairs, body work, and mods would help. Also general advise would be good as well. I don't mind paying for quality, within reason. and places in North York, Markham, or Thonhill would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

Highgate Golfer

Ready to race!
#1! Tires you should be looking after ASAP, seeing summer/all season on the rear and new all season on the front makes me very worried. Having two different types of tires (summer/all season/winter) is very dangerous. If budget allows get four winters, at the very least replace your rear tires so they are all similar.

#2/3 I can't help much on but for #4 the LED reps ppl have been buying have been out for well over a year and I have yet to see any significant amount of posts of people complaining about water leaks, fogging or lights going out prematurely. My friend bought them and I helped to install and compared to my OEM, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I attached a pic, try and figure out which is which.

#7 I can help you in gathering parts. I have a highline CECM that will support running the LED's as well as the extra pins for the highbeams I can sell you, pm if your interested

If you haven't already look on deautokey or superbright LED's for a set of interior LED bulbs, it will literally blow you away the difference it makes when they are on at night.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 563455_10102000446176902_1765706715_n.jpg
    563455_10102000446176902_1765706715_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 160

Meegis

Ready to race!
Might sell my wheels before spring time. They are 19" with less than one season on them.